Breathing Exercises

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So last week I was at a "championship" and I was fighting this one dude, and he kicked me right in the chest as soon as we started. The thing was it was a solid kick right into my chest

(Hopefully this works)
I saw it coming and didn't stop it, knocked the breath right out of me.

Well ever since then I haven't been breathing right. It takes a lot more effort to take a deep breath, and even when I do finally get a deep breath, its not satisfyingly refreshing. I asked my teacher about it and he said it was because I was holding in my breath when he kicked me -which is very possible considering that is a very a bad habit I have- He told me to take off Wednesday, through Monday without exercising too much, then said on Monday if I'm not feeling better I should see a doctor if its anything serious, well its Friday and I do feel a little better but its still a struggle breathing. Just wondering what your guys opinions would be and how I can help this bad habit of breathing I have. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah what granfire said! Definitely worth seeing a doctor or physio, may have even strained intercostal (rib) muscles and it may feel tricky to breathe. It's possible that because you were breathing in at the time of the impact, that something has tightened up drastically in response to it, like a survival response, and now can't loosen back up.

Otherwise I'd really work on your slow deep breathing, even meditation may help. Just breathing really naturally, not forcing it, but making sure it's right deep down from your diaphragm, not chest breathing. If you put your hand on your lower stomach, that's what should be moving up and down in proper natural breathing, not the chest (it moves a little, but not primarily), but alot of people have gotten into the habit of chest breathing (usually stress related). Go through your day being mindfully aware of your breath as much as you can, reminding yourself to relax and breath properly. Whether that's any part of the issue I'm not sure at all, but worth bringing up anyways.

This ain't no medical advice though hehe, I'd definitely see someone mate (that was a good kick though let's admit it hehe) :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with others who are saying to see a doctor, just to be safe. If all is well from that visit, then consider that you may simply be paying more attention to your breathing (and how it feels) because of the kick.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always find it fascinating to see schools congratulate a student on hurting someone a little (as we see here with the fistbumps after the kick) and yet still espouse that TKD is for self defence only. Wait, you mean it's not self-defence only? If the other person is a willing participant then it's ok?? :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like it may be a floating rib injury. You should get it checked out.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always find it fascinating to see schools congratulate a student on hurting someone a little (as we see here with the fistbumps after the kick) and yet still espouse that TKD is for self defence only. Wait, you mean it's not self-defence only? If the other person is a willing participant then it's ok?? :)
Well, he wasn't meaning to harm anyone it was just lack of defense on my part, and very good speed on his part. He did come up to me after the fight and apologized.

I agree with others who are saying to see a doctor, just to be safe. If all is well from that visit, then consider that you may simply be paying more attention to your breathing (and how it feels) because of the kick.
If in doubt, see a doctor!
I do plan on going to the doctors tomorrow. But everyday I can feel as if I can breath a lot better than I could a week ago so I know its getting better.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the sternum and/or each other. I had an injury to that. Took a good few weeks before it was fully resolved.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds like a broken rib and possible punctured lung. let us know what the doctor says.
good luck.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a bad idea to let a doctor check you out. Do you have pain when you try to breath in or out? You didn't say.

Regardless, my first advice would be to learn to kiai not only when you strike or kick someone, but when they have succeeded in getting past your defense and are about to strike or kick you. Or if you learn to breakfall, just as you are about to hit the ground.

In your style, do you practice breathing exercises as part of your beginning/warmups?

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not a bad idea to let a doctor check you out. Do you have pain when you try to breath in or out? You didn't say.

Regardless, my first advice would be to learn to kiai not only when you strike or kick someone, but when they have succeeded in getting past your defense and are about to strike or kick you. Or if you learn to breakfall, just as you are about to hit the ground.

In your style, do you practice breathing exercises as part of your beginning/warmups?
I do not have pains breathing at all. It's just become difficult to breath. I don't work on breathing exercises which I probably should

Also I did notice that when I start working out or exercising I get cramps a lot easier than normally, I don't know if it has anything to do with the kick but I definitely have noticed that. More often than normal.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not have pains breathing at all. It's just become difficult to breath. I don't work on breathing exercises which I probably should

Also I did notice that when I start working out or exercising I get cramps a lot easier than normally, I don't know if it has anything to do with the kick but I definitely have noticed that. More often than normal.

Personally, I think all MA should practice breathing, but not all care to. As to your 2nd paragraph, to me that is just one more reason to check with a doctor. Preferably a sports oriented doctor. That may cost a little more, but I think a sports oriented doctor is more likely to have insights on what happened and how to overcome it.

Latest Discussions