Calling all Treo 650 owners

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I own one these cool devices and I really find it very useful! I would like to know who else owns one and what they think of them.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I've made my opinion known in the Cell Phones thread. Windows (Im)Mobile users please note that the topic is Treo 650... :)

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth,

I have noticed that my battery life is a little longer since the last update. Maybe those memory fixes have helped. Well, it is either Pocket Tunes update or the last OS update. I use ptunes when I am at the gym in the mornings during my workout. So it is playing for about hour as I workout. I have noticed that the battery usage is significantly less. I didn't charge it last night and went to the gym this morning. My battery didn't get any lower than about 80%. This is pretty good.

Now if only my Moto HS850 bluetooth headset would last as long as they said it would. :(

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Kreth,

I have noticed that my battery life is a little longer since the last update. Maybe those memory fixes have helped. Well, it is either Pocket Tunes update or the last OS update. I use ptunes when I am at the gym in the mornings during my workout. So it is playing for about hour as I workout. I have noticed that the battery usage is significantly less. I didn't charge it last night and went to the gym this morning. My battery didn't get any lower than about 80%. This is pretty good.
I think my battery consumption is about the same. I've been playing around a lot with data (Blazer, Snappermail), and I think that along with BT puts a good dent in battery life. It does seem to me that data throughput is slightly better since I updated last night.

Now if only my Moto HS850 bluetooth headset would last as long as they said it would. :(
I read a lot of bad reviews on the Motorola headsets, so I ended up going with a Jabra BT150. Bestbuy had it for about $50.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I read a lot of bad reviews on the Motorola headsets, so I ended up going with a Jabra BT150. Bestbuy had it for about $50.

Good choice! I got mine as a christmas gift, so I will hang onto it. However, I feel that BT has a ways to go yet and I still prefer the wired headset over the BT one. Plus my wired headset is also a stereo headset that I can listen to music with.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Good choice! I got mine as a christmas gift, so I will hang onto it. However, I feel that BT has a ways to go yet and I still prefer the wired headset over the BT one. Plus my wired headset is also a stereo headset that I can listen to music with.
I'm looking at the Seidio 2-in-1 headsets. I'm planning to throw a 2Gb SD card in my Treo and register pTunes shortly, and it will be nice to be able to listen to music and switch to an incoming call wihtout having to touch the Treo.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I'm looking at the Seidio 2-in-1 headsets. I'm planning to throw a 2Gb SD card in my Treo and register pTunes shortly, and it will be nice to be able to listen to music and switch to an incoming call wihtout having to touch the Treo.

My headset is like the Seidio 2-in-1, but it is an el-cheapo from ebay. I want to get a 2GB SD card as well. I have a 1GB in there now, but I don't have much room on it. ;)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love mine. I need the stereo heaphones and havent been able to find one's here that lets me listen to music in both ears.
I will just order the headphones from Palm itself.
Battery life is great on its own.
On the other hand battery life is terrible if u use bluetooth, damn near not worth it.
I love it and use sprit but would love to switch over to Verizon and get the Treo 700.

What all software do u guys have for it?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
  • TakePhone - dialer with better features than the built-in one
  • BackupBuddyVFS - backup/restore to SD card
  • Card Export - Treo acts as SD card reader for PC
  • Central - a whole bunch of small utilities
  • Dir Assist - Mapquest directions and more
  • eReader - ebook viewer
  • FileProg - file explorer
  • mLights - turns off keyboard backlight during the day, dims screen at night
  • mRing - mp3 ringtone manager
  • PocketTunes - mp3 player
  • QuickNews - RSS reader
  • SnapperMail - POP/IMAP client

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Pocket Tunes Deluxe
SnapperMail
TCPMP (video player, I have feature length movies for my Treo)
PasswordsPlus (from DocsToGo)
DirAssist
FileCaddy
FileZ
BackupMan
Blocks
FreeJongg
IdeaPad
MineField
Memorix
Pegs
ProgZipper
AvantGo
CacheMate (Geocaching journal)
KeyGTime+ (for use with password locked PalmOS, allows you to see date/time, batt, signal, etc, without entering the PW to unlock) I recommend this if you have your Treo locked.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I browse the various Treo sites, it seems that my wishlist of accessories and software is steadily growing. The latest addition is a $300 car mount/GPS bundle... :uhyeah:

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
As I browse the various Treo sites, it seems that my wishlist of accessories and software is steadily growing. The latest addition is a $300 car mount/GPS bundle... :uhyeah:

I want to get that too! :D Ever done any Geocaching? Check out http://www.geocaching.com

It is alot of fun!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I received my Seidio holster today, and I have to say I like it a lot better than the POS "case" that I picked up at the Sprint store. It has a low-profile belt clip (bonus for a big guy like me who already has enough width), and the Treo clips into the holster face-in, with the screen against a soft pad of a suede-like material. I've read that Seidio has done some redesign of the holster to smooth out the inner surface of the top clip, so it doesn't scuff the Treo. It does seem very smooth, with no obvious rough edges. My Treo seems to clip in smoothly, in fact, at first I kept checking to make sure it was actually secured in the holster since it went in so smoothly. Unfortunately, soon after ordering this holster, I started jonesing for a Vaja case. I think it's only a matter of time before I buy one. Excellent craftsmanship, if a little pricey.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well, I received my Seidio holster today, and I have to say I like it a lot better than the POS "case" that I picked up at the Sprint store.
Unfortunately, soon after ordering this holster, I started jonesing for a Vaja case. I think it's only a matter of time before I buy one. Excellent craftsmanship, if a little pricey.
Cool! That is the one I am oing to get also. Mine is the case like you get at Sprint. I don't like it at all.

I have seen the Vaja cases, they ARE very nice! Also they are VERY expensive. I prefer something that is more utilitarian. The Vaja is so expensive you would want to get a case for it, so IT doesn't get scratched or damaged! :rofl:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Cool! That is the one I am oing to get also.
Actually, I checked it out after you mentioned it in the Cell Phones thread. :)

I have seen the Vaja cases, they ARE very nice! Also they are VERY expensive. I prefer something that is more utilitarian. The Vaja is so expensive you would want to get a case for it, so IT doesn't get scratched or damaged! :rofl:
The thing about the Vaja case is that it's not just leather. It's a precision-molded ABS shell also, which means more protection for my expensive new little buddy. On the down side, at least one of the future accessories that I'm looking at (the Seidio GPS bundle), will not work with a cased Treo, and I think even a form-fit case like the Vaja will loosen up over time if I'm constantly taking the Treo out to throw it in the GPS cradle. Seidio has come out with a Vaja compatible version of their Innodock cradle, so they may do the same with the GPS cradle.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
It would be awesome if this was inside my treo 650
Nice, but I prefer flash in a portable device. Skipping is bad, mmmkay? :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, another payday, and more stuff for my Treo. I ordered a spare travel charger and 2-in-1 headset. I also registered MagicButton (lets you answer calls from the headset), mLights (power saver, dims keyboard or backlight based on schedule), and Pocket Tunes. I also bought a "thumbscreen" skin for pTunes that features large buttons (great when you have mega fingers like I do).
I also upgraded from BackupBuddyVFS (SD card backups) to the Blue Nomad Security Suite Plus. It features BackUpBuddy (desktop backup conduit), RemoveIt (uninstaller), and Swordfish (password manager); as well as the SD card backup app.

Latest Discussions