Calling all Treo 650 owners

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well, I received my Seidio holster today, and I have to say I like it a lot better than the POS "case" that I picked up at the Sprint store. It has a low-profile belt clip (bonus for a big guy like me who already has enough width), and the Treo clips into the holster face-in, with the screen against a soft pad of a suede-like material. I've read that Seidio has done some redesign of the holster to smooth out the inner surface of the top clip, so it doesn't scuff the Treo. It does seem very smooth, with no obvious rough edges. My Treo seems to clip in smoothly, in fact, at first I kept checking to make sure it was actually secured in the holster since it went in so smoothly. Unfortunately, soon after ordering this holster, I started jonesing for a Vaja case. I think it's only a matter of time before I buy one. Excellent craftsmanship, if a little pricey.

For cases I have a Rhino case (i think they call it that) that I got from CompUSA. I can drop it and nothing will happen to my Treo. Works the best for me. I am more scared about something happeneing to it when I drop it.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Pocket Tunes Deluxe
SnapperMail
TCPMP (video player, I have feature length movies for my Treo)
PasswordsPlus (from DocsToGo)
DirAssist
FileCaddy
FileZ
BackupMan
Blocks
FreeJongg
IdeaPad
MineField
Memorix
Pegs
ProgZipper
AvantGo
CacheMate (Geocaching journal)
KeyGTime+ (for use with password locked PalmOS, allows you to see date/time, batt, signal, etc, without entering the PW to unlock) I recommend this if you have your Treo locked.

How is your video player??
I have Smart Movie which is nice.
How is the resolution and does it run smoothly??
I wouldnt mind watching movies on mine as long as it it runs smooth and not choppy.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
For cases I have a Rhino case (i think they call it that) that I got from CompUSA. I can drop it and nothing will happen to my Treo. Works the best for me. I am more scared about something happeneing to it when I drop it.
Rhino does have some nice cases. They should, they've been making cases for Palm devices almost as long as they've been around. There's a company called Smartphone Experts that has a pretty rugged-looking magnesium case. It looks cool, I just prefer to have quick access to my Treo.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
How is your video player??
I have Smart Movie which is nice.
How is the resolution and does it run smoothly??
I wouldnt mind watching movies on mine as long as it it runs smooth and not choppy.

It looks great. It has a full-screen mode and seems to be very nice. The resolution is GOOD and the movies play smoothly. now if you rip a wide screen movie, the full-screen mode doesn't make it full screen, vertically.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I ordered a spare travel charger and 2-in-1 headset.
I've been using these two items for a few days now. The travel charger is actually a retractable sync/charge USB cable made by Seidio. It's tiny when the cables are retracted, and definitely saves a lot of space in my laptop bag. It doesn't charge as quickly as in the cradle, but it's definitely handy to have.
The 2-in-1 headset is nice. I can listen to pTunes, or take a call without having to change anything around. I noticed one minor inconvenience. If I talk on the phone, when I hang up, I only get audio in one channel. I'm not sure if this is the headphones, pTunes, or MagicButton (the software that lets me control pTunes from the headset). It's easily resolved by pulling the headphone jack out and reseating it.
I was also able to hook my Treo up to my car stereo. I picked up a 2.5mm-3.5mm converter and a 3.5mm-RCA cable at Radio Shack. Then I had to order a connector for my car head unit. It's a Pioneer, and they use a propietary connector called IP bus for auxiliary input.
I'm still waiting on my SD card. I ordered a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II from a Pricegrabber storefront, but the card was DOA. I contacted the seller, and he replied back in under an hour (and this was at about 10pm), that he was sending me a replacement, and gave me RMA instructions. So I have to wait before I can start loading a whole lot of songs on the Treo.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
The 2-in-1 headset is nice. I can listen to pTunes, or take a call without having to change anything around. I noticed one minor inconvenience. If I talk on the phone, when I hang up, I only get audio in one channel. I'm not sure if this is the headphones, pTunes, or MagicButton (the software that lets me control pTunes from the headset). It's easily resolved by pulling the headphone jack out and reseating it.
I have a feeling it is the MagicButton. I don't use that software and my headset works fine with PTunes and taking calls. I get a call and PTunes will pause and when I hang up, PTunes will continue playing. It is very simple. I never have had that problem with the channels. My headset is a cheap one from Ebay.

However, the problem I have is occasionally the Treo thinks the headset is plugged in. I usually have to blow into the jack of the phone and tap it to get it to function correctly. I suspect my cheapo headset is the culprit, because I never had this problem when I used the PalmOne adapter, but have had this problem ever since I have been using this cheap stereo headset. I guess I will be purchasing the seidio one soon.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I have a feeling it is the MagicButton. I don't use that software and my headset works fine with PTunes and taking calls.
I'll probably experiment a little this weekend and see what happens.
However, the problem I have is occasionally the Treo thinks the headset is plugged in. I usually have to blow into the jack of the phone and tap it to get it to function correctly. I suspect my cheapo headset is the culprit, because I never had this problem when I used the PalmOne adapter, but have had this problem ever since I have been using this cheap stereo headset. I guess I will be purchasing the seidio one soon.
I hate to say it, but it could be the headset jack. The 650s are notorious for having the jacks go bad.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I hate to say it, but it could be the headset jack. The 650s are notorious for having the jacks go bad.
Could be, I am on my 3rd Treo 650 and all of them because of problems with the jack.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can one of you all recommend a 2-in-1 headset?
I bought like 2 or 3 and i had the same problem ith all of them......
Music only played in one ear.
I know Palm seels a steroe headset that lets u listen to music in both ears as well as answer a call.
I got tired of buying and returning stereo headsets that only played music from my real media players in one ear.
Do I need to use a different music player on my phone than the built in Real Player? I know it isnt the jack b/c I got a stereo headset from the Verizon store and tried to listen to music on it and it played in one ear again then I put my SD card in one of their phones in the store and when I plugged the headset in, it did the same thing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I know it isnt the jack b/c I got a stereo headset from the Verizon store and tried to listen to music on it and it played in one ear again then I put my SD card in one of their phones in the store and when I plugged the headset in, it did the same thing.

I really think that you might not be plugging it in all the way. I have never had any problems with that. However, I do remember that the first time I plugged it in, I had to make sure I had it good, because it wouldn't work properly.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I plugged it in all the way and got help from an associate in the store and we tried it on one of their Treo 650's and it had the same problem.
I dont know what it is, but it bugs the hell out of me.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Yeah I plugged it in all the way and got help from an associate in the store and we tried it on one of their Treo 650's and it had the same problem.
I dont know what it is, but it bugs the hell out of me.
That is weird. Maybe Kreth can give you a report on the Seidio he has. Mine is a cheap-o stereo headset made for the Treo 650 from ebay. Cost me about $11 to my office door. Although, I don't think the sound quality is as good as a Palm or Seidio but it is definitely stereo.

The Palm adapter I bought works great with my stereo headphones I kept from a CD Player I got a couple of Christmases ago.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool..thanks alot for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
I thought it was weird too..lol

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Maybe Kreth can give you a report on the Seidio he has.
I've been using the Seidio 2-in-1 Over The Ear headset for about a week now. The sound is decent. Of course, I'm not one of those audiophile snobs who aren't happy with anything less than a set of $300 Bose headphones. The only problem I've had, and I think this is a software issue, is if I get a call while listening to music, I only have sound on one channel after I hang up. I can get stereo sound back by unplugging the headset and reseating the jack. Other than that, I've been happy with the sound. I also got the retractable version of the headset, which means less cords to tangle up.
Regarding your sound issue, it's probably the headset jack. It's a common problem with the Treo 650. If you're still under warranty, swap it out for a new unit. If not, Seidio also makes a headset adapter that attaches to the universal connector on the bottom of your Treo.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks alot for the info.
I will definately check it out and let you all knw what happens.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
The only problem I've had, and I think this is a software issue, is if I get a call while listening to music, I only have sound on one channel after I hang up. I can get stereo sound back by unplugging the headset and reseating the jack.

Did you say somewhere you have a middle app between the phone and pTunes? I have pTunes deluxe, and it seems to deal with calls perfectly by itself. I have yet to have the audio channel issue.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Did you say somewhere you have a middle app between the phone and pTunes? I have pTunes deluxe, and it seems to deal with calls perfectly by itself. I have yet to have the audio channel issue.
I have pTunes Deluxe as well. I'm using MagicButton, which lets you answer the call using the headset button. I don't like auto-answer, I like to be able to screen my calls. MB also lets you FF, Rewind, Pause, etc with sequences of headset button presses. You can also set MB up to launch apps or dial preset phone numbers instead of using it to control pTunes.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I have pTunes Deluxe as well. I'm using MagicButton, which lets you answer the call using the headset button. I don't like auto-answer, I like to be able to screen my calls.

Now I understand. My headset has a button for answer/hangup. I don't use the auto-answer (I screen too).

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you all not like the real player that comes with the Treo?

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Do you all not like the real player that comes with the Treo?
To be honest and frank... I hate/loathe Real Player. I never liked it on my computer and I certainly detest it on my Treo 650.

Pocket Tunes Deluxe is far superior in interface and playlist management.

Latest Discussions