Calling all Treo 650 owners

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Now I understand. My headset has a button for answer/hangup. I don't use the auto-answer (I screen too).
I haven't had a chance to experiment with disabling MagicButton. The developers have a forum over at mytreo.net, so I may register over there and see if they have any suggestions (once I've done some troubleshooting).
AceHBK said:
Do you all not like the real player that comes with the Treo?
RealPlayer is bloatware. In addition to what Bigshadow said, pTunes also lets you stream Shoutcast stations on your Treo.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
RealPlayer is bloatware. In addition to what Bigshadow said, pTunes also lets you stream Shoutcast stations on your Treo.

I will agree I hate RP on my pc and deleted it off...lol

I will definately check out PTunes then.
What is shoutcast?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
What is shoutcast?
Shoutcast is streaming MP3. If you have pTunes on your Treo, you can click on the "Tune It!" link for a Shoutcast feed in Blazer, and it will automagically open in pTunes (after prompting you, of course). Once it opens in pTunes, you can bookmark it, or add it to a playlist.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Shoutcast is streaming MP3. If you have pTunes on your Treo, you can click on the "Tune It!" link for a Shoutcast feed in Blazer, and it will automagically open in pTunes (after prompting you, of course). Once it opens in pTunes, you can bookmark it, or add it to a playlist.

Sweet. I will definately have to go and get PTunes then

I have sprint and since the Treo 700 is out I am tempted to switch to Verizon just so that I can have the phone.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wellllllllll, I think I found the cause of my bug by accident. I saw that there was an update available for Volume Care, so I went to the developer's forum over on Treocentral to see what was changed. Apparently a bug was found that, guess what, doesn't properly transfer stereo sound to a headset in pTunes after hanging up a call. I updated, and ran into a similar bug in the new release, Volume Care doesn't boost when returning to pTunes after a call, but a quick pause and play resets it. In any event, it looks like I was blaming the wrong app, MagicButton is blameless...
Oh yeah, and I just picked up my Cardo Scala 500. It's charging now, I can't wait to try it out...

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Wellllllllll, I think I found the cause of my bug by accident. I saw that there was an update available for Volume Care, so I went to the developer's forum over on Treocentral to see what was changed. Apparently a bug was found that, guess what, doesn't properly transfer stereo sound to a headset in pTunes after hanging up a call. I updated, and ran into a similar bug in the new release, Volume Care doesn't boost when returning to pTunes after a call, but a quick pause and play resets it. In any event, it looks like I was blaming the wrong app, MagicButton is blameless...
Oh yeah, and I just picked up my Cardo Scala 500. It's charging now, I can't wait to try it out...

Glad you found the correct cause. Let us know how the Cardo Scala works.

I just got Verichat and I am starting to love it.
I need to go back and see what other software you all have.
Any top recommendations you all feel I shouldnt go without?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I need to go back and see what other software you all have.
Any top recommendations you all feel I shouldnt go without?
  • An uninstaller - This should be your FIRST install out of the box
  • VolumeCare - fixes low volume issue on the Treo
  • Custom ringtone software - I like mRing.
  • A backup solution - I use Backup Buddy
  • Directory Assistant - Exactly what it sounds like. Look up phone numbers, addresses, and get MapQuest driving directions.
  • eReader - e-book software
  • A file manager - Filez, and FileProg are both good
  • KeyCaps - makes text input (caps and alt characters) easier on the Treo keyboard
  • An e-mail client - Many people quickly grow to loathe Versamail. Bigshadow and I both like Snappermail. Chattermail is another popular client.
  • TakePhone - Enhanced dialer app
  • PowerUp - handy little app that automagically powers on the phone after a reset
  • and of course pTunes Deluxe
Some of these are free, and most of the commercial apps have a fairly decent trial period, so you can test drive them (SnapperMail, for example, gives you a 30 day trial).
My advice is to get an uninstaller app first. This will come in handy when you install an app that doesn't agree with your Treo's digestion. Then install software one app at a time to try out. This way if you have problems, it's fairly easy to figure out the culprit.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
  • An uninstaller - This should be your FIRST install out of the box
  • VolumeCare - fixes low volume issue on the Treo
  • Custom ringtone software - I like mRing.
  • A backup solution - I use Backup Buddy
  • Directory Assistant - Exactly what it sounds like. Look up phone numbers, addresses, and get MapQuest driving directions.
  • eReader - e-book software
  • A file manager - Filez, and FileProg are both good
  • KeyCaps - makes text input (caps and alt characters) easier on the Treo keyboard
  • An e-mail client - Many people quickly grow to loathe Versamail. Bigshadow and I both like Snappermail. Chattermail is another popular client.
  • TakePhone - Enhanced dialer app
  • PowerUp - handy little app that automagically powers on the phone after a reset
  • and of course pTunes Deluxe
Some of these are free, and most of the commercial apps have a fairly decent trial period, so you can test drive them (SnapperMail, for example, gives you a 30 day trial).
My advice is to get an uninstaller app first. This will come in handy when you install an app that doesn't agree with your Treo's digestion. Then install software one app at a time to try out. This way if you have problems, it's fairly easy to figure out the culprit.

Thanx ma!
I will get some of the stuff and keep you posted!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok..I told u all I got Verichat which I love and now I have pTunes.
How do u listen to streaming music off of pTunes?

You guys have a lot of software and that stuff is not cheap. :)
<REMOVED: Reference to Warez is not allowed per forum rules>

Now thanks to you all :) I now want snappermail. and the other things you have suggested. How long did it take for u all to accumulate all that software? While I try to find a way to open up snappemail, is there any freeware worth having?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Ok..I told u all I got Verichat which I love and now I have pTunes.
How do u listen to streaming music off of pTunes?
I explained how to do this previously in this thread. Basically, with pTunes installed, you just need to click on the Tune In! link for a Shoutcast stream. It will automagically open in pTunes.
is there any freeware worth having?
  • FileProg or Filez - freeware file managers
  • KeyCaps - improved text entry
  • Documents to Go - Not really freeware, but the Treo comes with a full version.
There's a lot of freeware for the Palm here. You just need to be careful that the software is compatible with OS5.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I'm a happy camper now. I had ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB card, which was DOA. The vendor refunded my payment (apparently they had received a bad lot), and I opted to go for a plain SD "blue" 2GB card with another vendor. So, now I've got ~700MB of mp3s on my Treo, and climbing. I just need to save some room, as I'm thinking of getting a TomTom GPS unit next (with John Cleese providing voice directions).
Latest cool thing I've done with my Treo: I was on the way home from a remote office the other day, and realized I had forgotten to make a car insurance payment. I fired up Directory Assistant, looked up the phone number for my insurance agent, and made a phone payment. :ultracool
Oh yeah, almost forgot... You can read my review of the Scala 500 here.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Latest cool thing I've done with my Treo: I was on the way home from a remote office the other day, and realized I had forgotten to make a car insurance payment. I fired up Directory Assistant, looked up the phone number for my insurance agent, and made a phone payment. :ultracool
Isn't that awesome?! Often my son and I go to the movies on Fridays when I pick him up after I get off work. I have the default page of my browser pointed to my mobile.yahoo.com web page. From there I have all the local theaters as my favorites accessible from the main page. So often we don't know what is playing, so we will look them up from anywhere. It is really cool. Can even watch the trailers if necessary.

My only complaint is... a little slow, I can't wait for broadband speed.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I have the default page of my browser pointed to my mobile.yahoo.com web page. From there I have all the local theaters as my favorites accessible from the main page. So often we don't know what is playing, so we will look them up from anywhere. It is really cool. Can even watch the trailers if necessary.

My only complaint is... a little slow, I can't wait for broadband speed.
I have Blazer set to start on a blank page so it opens quicker, but I have Yahoo Movies bookmarked. I'm also experimenting with Xiino. It does seem a littler quicker to load pages than Blazer, but I don't know if that justifies the $30 price tag.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I have Blazer set to start on a blank page so it opens quicker, but I have Yahoo Movies bookmarked. I'm also experimenting with Xiino. It does seem a littler quicker to load pages than Blazer, but I don't know if that justifies the $30 price tag.
Xiino appeared to be faster, but I didn't like the interface very much. It seemed to not be very robust, seemed more like a work in progress or a prototype. Blazer is slower, however it seems to be much more robust in features and interface.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Xiino appeared to be faster, but I didn't like the interface very much. It seemed to not be very robust, seemed more like a work in progress or a prototype. Blazer is slower, however it seems to be much more robust in features and interface.
Yeah, I don't really care for having to open a menu to enter a URL. One other option would be to go with a custom ROM and install the newer version of Blazer. I saw some references to it on TreoCentral and Shadowmite's site. And while I'm at it, I'll probably add the FAT32 driver, which is supposed to show big r/w gains over the current driver, as well as provide support for SD cards > 2GB. But, I wanted to wait and see if this promised big firmware update from Sprint materializes before I load a custom ROM.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Yeah, I don't really care for having to open a menu to enter a URL. One other option would be to go with a custom ROM and install the newer version of Blazer. I saw some references to it on TreoCentral and Shadowmite's site. And while I'm at it, I'll probably add the FAT32 driver, which is supposed to show big r/w gains over the current driver, as well as provide support for SD cards > 2GB. But, I wanted to wait and see if this promised big firmware update from Sprint materializes before I load a custom ROM.
I am with you there on the custom ROMs. :) I was looking at Shadowmites site and saw the FAT32 driver. It sounded good. I would rather see those implemented in an official rom update.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I am with you there on the custom ROMs. :) I was looking at Shadowmites site and saw the FAT32 driver. It sounded good. I would rather see those implemented in an official rom update.
I would too. I dunno if it will happen, though. I'm wondering what this rumored firmware update will consist of. Bluetooth 2.0 would be nice. I'd also like to see them incorporate the Voice Memo recorder from the LifeDrive. I found that on TreoCentral as well...

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what security software for the treo do u recommend. The security that comes with the phone of course is bare bones. Any recommendations for any other software that has more security features that the one that came with the phone doesnt have?

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
what security software for the treo do u recommend. The security that comes with the phone of course is bare bones. Any recommendations for any other software that has more security features that the one that came with the phone doesnt have?

Well, I don't know. I use the default security. However, I downloaded PasswordPlus from Dataviz (I think it was them). They offered it to me for free. Actually, I really like it. It is a secure way to store all sorts of secure information. I use it to keep track of all my website logins for paying bills and so forth. Server passwords, secure and private website info. Things of that nature. It is very handy.

Kreth might have something recommendations for you.

Latest Discussions