Bruce Lee is dead buried and rotten

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to mention the stupidity of suggesting that someone died of a brain aneurysm because their kung fu was weak.

According to Wikipedia, it wasn't even a brain aneurysm:
"Donald Teare, a forensic scientist recommended by Scotland Yard who had overseen over 1,000 autopsies, was assigned to the Lee case. His conclusion was "death by misadventure" caused by an acute cerebral edema due to a reaction to compounds present in the combination medication Equagesic.[93]"

Bruce Lee - Wikipedia

A brain aneurysm is local: Intracranial aneurysm - Wikipedia . Maybe Dale is confusing a local aneurysm with a general swelling (cerebral edema).

(All according to Wikipedia, such as it is.)

At any rate, I don't think that good kung fu would have prevented the reaction to the medication or alleviated the cerebral edema.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I love this place so much. A more intelligent man than me would just let it go, but I have to say I'll wear that dislike rating as proudly as a back stage pass to a Sinatra concert.
There are some people's dislikes that are as self-affirming as other people's likes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some people's dislikes that are as self-affirming as other people's likes.

Yeah I got dislike bombed there at one point.

He did about 5 posts in one hit. Some sort of feelings thing or something i imagine.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate.

Lee had huge part in bringing exposure to martial arts and helped create the vibrant market in the USA.

I don't worship him. But I value his role in being the king of kung full flicks, as free advertising for all schools, clubs, gyms, dojo's and dojangs.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am probably a weird martial artist. I was never really into martial arts movies growing up. I do remember watching "Kung Fu" on TV, but it was hit or miss whether or not I happened to catch it. I wasn't that much into it. I also don't do video games or computer games, never have. I love anime, but the martial arts ones are only interesting to me as much as the story line goes, the fight scenes and techniques and so on don't do anything for me.

However, I knew who Bruce Lee was and what he represented. I realize that Bruce Lee and others of his era had a very large impact on the amount of real-world training going on out there; especially in the USA. I have no doubt that there would be far fewer martial arts schools if the time of the martial arts movies and stars had not existed.

That's pretty much it. I don't worship any martial artist living or dead. I have respect for those who came before me and left their mark on the martial arts world. I am thankful that their impact paved the way for the large variety and scope of training available today. There are no posters of martial arts figures on my wall and there never were any.

That is all.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the most ironic things about Bruce Lee's effect on martial culture are the following;

1. Karate boomed instead of Kung Fu, despite most people entering Karate dojos because of Lee.
2. Jeet Kun Do becoming dogged down by the exact things that Lee opposed in Wing Chun.
3. Bruce Lee essentially advocating the value Mixed Martial Arts decades before the first UFC took place.

Pepsiman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I don't worship Bruce Lee, I think he is among the greatest martial artists. He used his training to cultivate a very beautiful, practical style; his philosophies were profound but easy to understand. But I think the real reason Lee is so admired, even decades after his passing, was because of how influential he was. I personally think he played a VERY huge role in getting the general public interested in not just martial arts, but fitness as well. On top of that, look at all the homages you see in any action movie or video game! There hasn't been a single fighting game I've played (save for Soulcalibur) that did NOT honor him or use Jeet Kune Do as a fighting form.

Bruce Lee may be long gone, but his work lives on to the point that he's become practically immortal. That's why he's so beloved.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I don't worship Bruce Lee, I think he is among the greatest martial artists. He used his training to cultivate a very beautiful, practical style; his philosophies were profound but easy to understand. But I think the real reason Lee is so admired, even decades after his passing, was because of how influential he was. I personally think he played a VERY huge role in getting the general public interested in not just martial arts, but fitness as well. On top of that, look at all the homages you see in any action movie or video game! There hasn't been a single fighting game I've played (save for Soulcalibur) that did NOT honor him or use Jeet Kune Do as a fighting form.

Bruce Lee may be long gone, but his work lives on to the point that he's become practically immortal. That's why he's so beloved.
No doubt about that but I think the problem is there's people who really overrate him and think he can think he can beat everyone on earth. Of course he couldn't no one can. People get confused with the real lee and the movie characters he played. E.g michael jai white said in an interview he believed he could beat him because he's a lot bigger and has been training longer which makes sense and I believe he could but the lee fanboys absolutely destroyed him saying he was a joke and lee would win easily nonsense like that.

Pepsiman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No doubt about that but I think the problem is there's people who really overrate him and think he can think he can beat everyone on earth. Of course he couldn't no one can. People get confused with the real lee and the movie characters he played. E.g michael jai white said in an interview he believed he could beat him because he's a lot bigger and has been training longer which makes sense and I believe he could but the lee fanboys absolutely destroyed him saying he was a joke and lee would win easily nonsense like that.

Bruce Lee versus Micheal Jai White would be an interesting match-up. Kung Fu versus Karate, which I'd be all for :)

Let's break it down, real quick:

Micheal Jai White
6'1, 207 lbs.

Styles learned include Shotokan Karate (3rd Dan Black Belt), Goju Ryu Karate (3rd Dan Black Belt), Kyokushin Karate (3rd Degree Black Belt), Taekwondo (2nd Degree Black Belt), and Tang Soo Doo (1st Degree Black Belt). White also received instruction in Japanese Jujutsu, Wushu, and Okinawan Kubudo (said to also hold a Black Belt in this, also). White may have learned other styles, but I'm not certain what they are.

Bruce Lee
5'7, 141 (at his heaviest)

Styles learned include Jeet Kune Do (innovated), Wing Chun, and Wu-Style Tai Chi Chuan. It's also said that he had instruction in Boxing, Fencing, Taekwondo, and Judo. I'm personally unsure what rankings (if any) Lee received during his lifetime.

Okay, so on paper, White appears to have a comfortable edge over Lee. While it's true White learned more styles and is far bigger and stronger than Lee, Lee's athleticism and speed were through the roof, and was known for his precision. White would still have to be careful around Lee whenever in kicking distance, and would be wise to mainly target Lee's legs in order to effectively neutralize his speed; Lee, on the other hand, simply could not afford White getting up close. What Lee would have to do is try to force White into keeping his distance, picking him apart from the outside.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee versus Micheal Jai White would be an interesting match-up. Kung Fu versus Karate, which I'd be all for :)

Let's break it down, real quick:

Micheal Jai White
6'1, 207 lbs.

Styles learned include Shotokan Karate (3rd Dan Black Belt), Goju Ryu Karate (3rd Dan Black Belt), Kyokushin Karate (3rd Degree Black Belt), Taekwondo (2nd Degree Black Belt), and Tang Soo Doo (1st Degree Black Belt). White also received instruction in Japanese Jujutsu, Wushu, and Okinawan Kubudo (said to also hold a Black Belt in this, also). White may have learned other styles, but I'm not certain what they are.

Bruce Lee
5'7, 141 (at his heaviest)

Styles learned include Jeet Kune Do (innovated), Wing Chun, and Wu-Style Tai Chi Chuan. It's also said that he had instruction in Boxing, Fencing, Taekwondo, and Judo. I'm personally unsure what rankings (if any) Lee received during his lifetime.

Okay, so on paper, White appears to have a comfortable edge over Lee. While it's true White learned more styles and is far bigger and stronger than Lee, Lee's athleticism and speed were through the roof, and was known for his precision. White would still have to be careful around Lee whenever in kicking distance, and would be wise to mainly target Lee's legs in order to effectively neutralize his speed; Lee, on the other hand, simply could not afford White getting up close. What Lee would have to do is try to force White into keeping his distance, picking him apart from the outside.
Jai white simply also trained with better people he's sparred with champion boxers and mma fighters where lee trained with point fighters