Mou Meng Gung Fu: The Nameless Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mou Meng Kuen, also known as Wú-míng ch‘üan or Wumingquan (translated to Standard English as "Nameless Fist" or "Nameless Boxing") falls in the category of non-classical martial arts. Wumingquan is a modernized self-defense system, not to be confused with Wuxingquan ("Shapeless Boxing") and other older traditional Chinese martial arts with similar names or meanings. For over a decade, this Gung Fu system existed only as a nameless series of personal experiences, training experiments and knowledge exchanges between several martial artists with different ranks and styles all originating from different schools. Only recently have I actually started to refer to this no-name skill as Mou Meng Gung Fu, after some friends of mine suggested that I give it a name. Mou Meng Kuen or Nameless Boxing is a very basic self-defense system which promotes physical fitness and longevity. Nameless Boxing is not an all-encompassing martial art, nor was it designed to deal with every aspect of martial arts training. Nameless Boxing does not require much physical strength, flexibility, training time or training space to learn. This system was developed to accommodate every student regardless of age, gender, height, weight or disability. The techniques were designed to be simple and easy to learn in a short time period. Nameless Boxing incorporates kicking, boxing and wrestling techniques with an emphasis on stand-up fighting or kickboxing. The techniques in this system are similar to those found in other Gung Fu systems, but are actually a conglomeration of elements taken from several different styles including even some techniques from non-Chinese martial arts. Hei Gung or Qigong training is a big part of Mou Meng Gung Fu along with proper dieting, meditation and Hatha Yoga exercise. The stances and footwork in this system are similar to what you might find in southern Shaolin short-fist Chinese Boxing styles, and in fact you could probably even classify Mou Meng Gung Fu as a southern style. There are no ranks or trophies in this system. Practitioners of Wumingquan are refered to simply as brothers and sisters, juniors and seniors. There are no "masters" in this style of Gung Fu, as I the founder do not claim to be a master of martial arts, nor do I have any students apart from my own family and friends. I will most likely add more to the description of Nameless Boxing as time goes on, but right now I just wanted to present my art to the rest of the internet MA circle since there's really no other mention of it elsewhere that I am aware of. If anyone has any questions about Mou Meng Gung Fu or about myself, feel free to ask and I will try to provide answers to the best of my ability. Thank you again for allowing me to discuss my style.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since this is your system that you founded. If you have any videos that you can post...it might be interesting to watch and be helpful to to posters grasp what your system is.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do have many various home training videos and pictures on my phone and I don't mind sharing them as soon as I learn how. I'm still new to the site and still rather new to this phone but once I figure it all out then sure, it would be my pleasure. (I tried to upload a video just now but it said the file was too large). One of the biggest things that others will notice from my videos and pictures is the variety of different training methods. Sometimes the training seems very slow and relaxed like the internal schools and other traditional Chinese martial arts with their form training and sensitivity drills. But other videos will show a different side to this style with more emphasis on freestyle sparring or shadow boxing drills. Wumingquan also incorporates boxing drills, kicking drills and wrestling drills which are sometimes practiced altogether but sometimes also practiced seperately. I will try to upload some of these things as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Still no videos, but here perhaps some photos? These pictures show me and my friends practicing boxing, kicking, kickboxing and wrestling drills. All of these are incorporated in Wumingquan, the art of namelessness. (Apart from the high kick, I did that just for fun).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-22-58-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-22-58-1.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-21-44-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-21-44-1.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-31-11-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-31-11-1.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-18-23.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-18-23.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-26-55-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-26-55-1.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-29-51.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-29-51.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-21-13-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-01-21-13-1.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with CB Jones, a demonstration video would really help us get a better idea of the system you have developed. In the meantime, I have a question. There are thousands of different Martial Arts, And each one has the same basic punches and kicks. What separates your system from theirs? Usually what separates Chinese styles is the philosophy they follow, and then the techniques are simply a way of expressing that philosophy. For example, both Northern Shaolin and Wing Chun have the same basic kicks and punches, but they use those techniques completely differently to reflect the philosophy of the style.

So, my question is, what is the philosophy of your style?

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, my philosophy is the same as others, just like my punches and my kicks. I just chose to call it Gung Fu to be honest, because I like Chinese martial arts. (And because I used to practice CMA, moreso than other styles). Wumingquan incorporates a lot of the same techniques, methods and theories found in the southern Chinese Boxing systems in the Hong Kong area. I suppose you could attach it to their Taoist or Buddhist philosophies. As for me personally, I was influenced by Bruce Lee's philosophy, like everyone else.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, my philosophy is the same as others, just like my punches and my kicks. I just chose to call it Gung Fu to be honest, because I like Chinese martial arts. (And because I used to practice CMA, moreso than other styles). Wumingquan incorporates a lot of the same techniques, methods and theories found in the southern Chinese Boxing systems in the Hong Kong area. I suppose you could attach it to their philosophies. As for me personally, I was influenced by Bruce Lee's philosophy.
Your philosophy is "the same as others" your moves are from other martial arts so what makes your style...yours, to me it sounds like you're using other styles and just giving it a different name. Forgive me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be anything unique about your style. Feel free to correct me

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's the thing about my style. It's not unique. It's not new, except for the name of it. I coined that term just recently. But the style itself isn't new, it's been in practice now for over a decade. And there's nothing unique about it. Now if I really wanted to, I suppose I could present a crazy argument that my style is "like JKD but with TCMA forms" but then that still wouldn't make it very unique now would it? So really, the only thing unique about my style is it's name and the fact that it's not Jun Fan.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, this is less of a formal system and more a summation of your own fighting style. You've taken those elements from other systems that you liked or suited you, and put them all together. While this is quite a common phenomenon (hell, pretty much every MMA and UFC fighter does this), I don't think anyone has actually bothered to name their style of fighting or teach it to others in a formalised way. You quote it as being a "modernised self-defence" system, which to me links it to systems like Krav Maga and Systema which were specifically designed for "real world combat". Have you tested your system in the field?

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some of the CMA elements in Wumingquan include:

- Siu Nim Tau
- Dok Gerk Siu Nim Tau
- Jee Yau Bok Gik
- Chi Sau
- Chi Gerk
- Gor Sau
- Lin Sil Die Dar
- Chung Seen
- Chum Jong
- Ji Gok Geng
- Duen Geng
- Tui Sau
- Bong An Chi Sao
- Don Chi Gerk
- Sui Jow
- Ying Jow / Fu Jow
- Chui Ying
- Churng Wai
- Da Sa Bao
- Dit Yeung Juk
- Faan Sau
- Pak Sao Ngoy Da
- Jik Chung Choi
- San Sau

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So, this is less of a formal system and more a summation of your own fighting style. You've taken those elements from other systems that you liked or suited you, and put them all together. While this is quite a common phenomenon (hell, pretty much every MMA and UFC fighter does this), I don't think anyone has actually bothered to name their style of fighting or teach it to others in a formalised way. You quote it as being a "modernised self-defence" system, which to me links it to systems like Krav Maga and Systema which were specifically designed for "real world combat". Have you tested your system in the field?

Which field? I have tested it repeatedly in sparring, modifying things ever so slightly as I progressed. In fact I'm still modifying things as I go. Sometimes it seems like there's always something to learn. As I learn, I grow. As I grow, I change. That too has much to do with Wumingquan's philosophy. However, the core foundation of Wumingquan remains very simple and unchanging. The techniques are very basic beginner level. Somewhat similar to Krav Maga in a little way, but different.

I have only been to three sport fighting events in my life. I earned a 1st place trophy for Sanshou kickboxing, a 2nd place trophy in amateur Western boxing, and a 3rd place trophy in Judo wrestling. That was between the years of 2005 and 2010, if my memory serves. Other than that and a few bare-knuckle street fights here and there, I've never really had to use my style in the field to be honest.

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Which field? I have tested it repeatedly in sparring, modifying things ever so slightly as I progressed. In fact I'm still modifying things as I go. Sometimes it seems like there's always something to learn. As I learn, I grow. As I grow, I change. That too has much to do with Wumingquan's philosophy. However, the core foundation of Wumingquan remains very simple and unchanging. The techniques are very basic beginner level.

I have only been to three sport fighting events in my life. I earned a 1st place trophy for Sanshou kickboxing, a 2nd place trophy in amateur Western boxing, and a 3rd place trophy in Judo wrestling. That was between the years of 2005 and 2010, if my memory serves. Other than that and a few bare-knuckle street fights here and there, I've never really had to use my style in the field to be honest.

Ok, so let me ask you this. If you were to advertise your system to the public, would you market it as a self-defence system, or a sports system?

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever teach it openly to the public, to be honest. But if I had to give it a label, I would definitely market it as a self-defense system.

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever teach it openly to the public, to be honest. But if I had to give it a label, I would definitely market it as a self-defense class.

Well, thank you for your honesty, something that appears rarely in today's world. I respect you for that.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your interest. And for the opportunity to speak about my martial art. :)

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The reason I say that my style is self-defense system is because we practice techniques which are illegal in most sport fighting competitions. Mou Meng Gung Fu (or Wu Ming Kung Fu, whichever you prefer) utilizes snake-like finger strikes, tiger-like raking nails and eagle-like gouging or clawing techniques as well as some dragon-like elbow and knee strikes targeted at the groin area or the back of the head. There are also some mantis-like trapping and bone breaking methods incorporated into this system as well, while our footwork and defensive techniques are almost crane-like in nature. Another reason I decided to call it Wumingquan, for its Chinese roots. Wumingquan favors the usefulness of any means to defend oneself, even to the extent of grabbing hair or clothes. Brass knuckles, electrical stun guns, pepper spray, knives and firearms are also not out of the equation in this style. We don't train in weapon forms or drills per say but we do train with weapons. We also keep our shoes on most of the time when we train, unless we're on the mats. Another thing people will notice is that this style does not have height or weight divisions, nor does it separate gender.

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my question is why. let be honest, by your own admission your art is basic and nothing special. mediocre at best. you say you are not going to teach what you do publicly, so why are you putting a name on it and coming to a martial art forum to introduce it and talk about it? it kinda screams ego and possible narcissist to me. im all for someone creating or doing their own thing, thats what i am doing. but i have more than 30 years training in traditional systems and i felt i could bring something of value to the table. i suspect your rather young compared to some of us old folk here and thats great but i hope you realize that by doing your own mediocre style you will never rise above that level of mediocrity. why not train in a system you think is really great? at least you would get really good at something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions