Bruce Lee is dead buried and rotten

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee is dead, buried and rotten.

His Kung Fu was not that good, or he would be still alive.

Chuck Norris is still alive and kicking and almost 80.

Sammo Hung, who is a big well trained fat man, is still alive and kicking.

Jacky Chan who has broken more bones than Lee ever did, is still alive and kicking.

Why is there so much worship of a man, who is dead, buried and rotten?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Jacky Chan who has broken more bones than Lee ever did, is still alive and kicking.

well ill give him a pass, he died from a brain aneurysm. not exactly something that you can prevent

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I think there's admiration rather than worship. I for one, admired him. That's not to say his Kung Fu was good or not, I don't know anything about Kung Fu. His, yours or anyone elses.

But I still liked listening to his thoughts on fighting, punching and kicking.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simply because in his 32 years he did more in martial arts than any of those others you've listed have done in their whole lives and I don't know why you're using the fact he's dead against him he died with a brain aneurism nothing he could've done to prevent that.

As for his Kung fu not being good how do you know? You ever train with him? You ever spar with him? Ever meet him? That's the only way to truly know if someone's good or not.

I'm not his biggest fan and do think some people overrate him but to say he was rubbish is simply ridiculous he was obviously very skilled and in perfect physical condition.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, as hoshin said he died from brain swelling so not much one can do about it.
I think a lot of people are so interested in Bruce Lee is they belong to one of 2 type of camps. The first being memorize by his flashy movie moves, his fortune cookie movie quotes. The other camp sees value on his jkd style and find his approach to be a realistic approach thanks to the likes of Dan and other Senior students of Bruce Lee.
I don't think he is the best i do think he has one of the most impact on martial arts in the last century.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, Oaktree, I believe he had one of the biggest impacts on Martial Arts in the last century. At least here in the U.S. Him and (I can hear the screaming now) Dana White.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There is great power in dying at the right time and place. :angelic:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few points at random ...

Bruce Lee is widely admired (especially by the general public) more than other martial artists of equal or greater accomplishment largely because he was a charismatic film performer. For some reason, many people are star-struck by action heroes on the big screen. That's the reason people tell jokes about "Chuck Norris facts" rather than "Joe Lewis facts" or "Mike Stone facts" or "Bill Wallace facts".

His early death probably added to the pop culture mystique, in a sort of James Dean way. No one had to see Bruce Lee getting old and fat, getting involved in scandals, making embarrassingly tacky commercials, etc.

In addition to his pop culture fame, he was an genuinely influential martial artist. He was neither the first nor last to espouse the ideas that he did, but he was one of the most visible proponents at the time of independence from style. Ironically, given that outlook, he founded a martial art which has survived in various forms and lineages and is being trained by plenty of people today. Some very good martial artists trained with him at the time and some very good martial artists have carried his legacy.

According to people who trained with him, he was a very dedicated and very talented martial artist. Of course, those kind of claims are made about just about every famous martial artist, but I take the judgment of guys like Joe Lewis pretty seriously.

(Those last two points could be made about a bunch of great martial artists who are not as well known or venerated as Lee, but most of them weren't film stars.)

Jacky Chan and Sammo Hung have only marketed themselves as performers, not as great martial artists. (Although I'm certain both could handle themselves in a fight.)

Chuck Norris is like Lee in that he is a genuinely high-level martial artist (who also created his own style), but is famous primarily due to movies and TV. He's not as charismatic as Lee and didn't get the mystique from dying young, but he gets a least a bit of the same mythologizing.

Hmmm ... so the test for having good Kung fu is to live to at least 77 years old? I wonder how many CMA lineages you've just insulted. I'm pretty certain at least a few prominent CMA sifus have died earlier than that.

On the other hand, Bruce's student Dan Inosanto is still going strong at age 80 and looks better than most martial arts instructors half his age, so maybe Bruce passed some kind of good Kung Fu on to him after all?

I'm not much for worship of anyone, alive or dead, but I do note that veneration of past instructors is pretty standard in much of the martial arts world. I was at a WC seminar this past weekend and at the end the instructor had us bow to the picture of Yip Man, who has been dead, buried, and rotten longer than Bruce Lee. When I took Judo classes, we typically bowed to a portrait of Jigaro Kano, who has been dead, buried, and rotten much longer than either one.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Worship...Nah. Respect for what he was able to do and the many people who have been drawn to the martial arts because of the interest he generated.

There have been many persons who have influenced the world in good ways who are now dead, buried and rotten yet have the respect of thousands who never knew or met them.

Is there no one with in the martial arts who you hold in high regard and respect that is dead, buried and rotten?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

stirthepot-1.gif~c200

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I love this place so much. A more intelligent man than me would just let it go, but I have to say I'll wear that dislike rating as proudly as a back stage pass to a Sinatra concert.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few points at random ...

Bruce Lee is widely admired (especially by the general public) more than other martial artists of equal or greater accomplishment largely because he was a charismatic film performer. For some reason, many people are star-struck by action heroes on the big screen. That's the reason people tell jokes about "Chuck Norris facts" rather than "Joe Lewis facts" or "Mike Stone facts" or "Bill Wallace facts".

His early death probably added to the pop culture mystique, in a sort of James Dean way. No one had to see Bruce Lee getting old and fat, getting involved in scandals, making embarrassingly tacky commercials, etc.

In addition to his pop culture fame, he was an genuinely influential martial artist. He was neither the first nor last to espouse the ideas that he did, but he was one of the most visible proponents at the time of independence from style. Ironically, given that outlook, he founded a martial art which has survived in various forms and lineages and is being trained by plenty of people today. Some very good martial artists trained with him at the time and some very good martial artists have carried his legacy.

According to people who trained with him, he was a very dedicated and very talented martial artist. Of course, those kind of claims are made about just about every famous martial artist, but I take the judgment of guys like Joe Lewis pretty seriously.

(Those last two points could be made about a bunch of great martial artists who are not as well known or venerated as Lee, but most of them weren't film stars.)

Jacky Chan and Sammo Hung have only marketed themselves as performers, not as great martial artists. (Although I'm certain both could handle themselves in a fight.)

Chuck Norris is like Lee in that he is a genuinely high-level martial artist (who also created his own style), but is famous primarily due to movies and TV. He's not as charismatic as Lee and didn't get the mystique from dying young, but he gets a least a bit of the same mythologizing.

Hmmm ... so the test for having good Kung fu is to live to at least 77 years old? I wonder how many CMA lineages you've just insulted. I'm pretty certain at least a few prominent CMA sifus have died earlier than that.

On the other hand, Bruce's student Dan Inosanto is still going strong at age 80 and looks better than most martial arts instructors half his age, so maybe Bruce passed some kind of good Kung Fu on to him after all?

I'm not much for worship of anyone, alive or dead, but I do note that veneration of past instructors is pretty standard in much of the martial arts world. I was at a WC seminar this past weekend and at the end the instructor had us bow to the picture of Yip Man, who has been dead, buried, and rotten longer than Bruce Lee. When I took Judo classes, we typically bowed to a portrait of Jigaro Kano, who has been dead, buried, and rotten much longer than either one.

I had a lot of late night talks in my kitchen with Joe about Bruce Lee. There was a certain amount of disharmony between them. But I figure that was an Alpha Male butting heads type thing. But there was also a lot of respect, dead serious respect, about Martial Arts and as each other as Martial Artists. Most importantly (at least to me) as fighters. That always carried a lot of weight to me. Joe never pussy footed around with his opinion of fighters.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He had some skill.
He was good-looking, as far as I can tell.
He appeared confident.
He was a movie star in the genre.
He was distinctive.
He promoted himself well.
He was the right man at the right time.
He died (arguably) young and in his prime.

Does that answer your question, Dale?
What's going on with you? This anger (in this and the other thread) is uncharacteristic of someone of your good reputation.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does that answer your question, Dale?
What's going on with you? This anger (in this and the other thread) is uncharacteristic of someone of your good reputation.
im telling you all ..his profile was highjacked and has been taken over by a pod person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mulling this a bit...there is a certain historical slant to this thread. Bruce Lee didn't get along with most traditional Chinese Arts, nor they with him.

Doesn't look like much has changed. And slamming a dead guy - now, that's some high octane jealousy.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mulling this a bit...there is a certain historical slant to this thread. Bruce Lee didn't get along with most traditional Chinese Arts, nor they with him.

Doesn't look like much has changed. And slamming a dead guy - now, that's some high octane jealousy.
Not to defend, but Bruce Lee does seem bigger than his britches, in some circles. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to defend, but Bruce Lee does seem bigger than his britches, in some circles. :)
Oh, there is definitely adulation of Bruce Lee by some which goes well beyond that for other martial artists of equal or greater accomplishment. I can totally understand rolling ones eyes at that sort of cult of personality. Dale's post just seemed to go beyond dismissing the celebrity hero worship and into anger territory.

Latest Discussions