Brick and Board Breaking.........

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
IF you are going to try this sort of thing, I owuld recommend that you (if you are the instructor) and one of your senior belts practice it for a while before you demonstrate it to the class and starthaving them try it. The fastest way to scare a junior student is tohave a senior get hurt trying something new. You may also learn a few pitfalls to help them avoid.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I had mentioned about board breaking 'sparring' would only be for experianced breakers. What would be required for actual belt ranks would be simpler breaks under controlled circumstances. That idea was just to keep things interesting for the people who like to do that sort of thing.

It was just an idea that came to me while typing, that I thought you guys might get a kick out of. Of course I wouldn't ask people to try something that I had not done previously in a safe and responsible manner.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hee hee....... someone famous I think said that........ LOL,

Having done a lot of breaking in my time.......... "Moving" Targets are quite interesting. I have experimented with them and have mixed feelings..... It is fun as Robbo outlined but .... lol..... yes a bit dangerous for the partner..... well if there is any speed involved of course. If you move an then "hold" and wait for the strike ....... then it of course is much safer.

To do this more realistically....... we put on the "Gorilla suit" with all the protection and face shield and hand pads then spar ...... one with the board and the other...... "Target hunter" The TH tries to hit the targets presented and break the board while in constant movement....... it is hard but fun... (I want to do this with Gou) lol.....

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me when somebody is doing Lone Kimono on you you are trusting them not to hyperextend your elbow

We have an over zealous blue belt that has the control and subtlity of a rhino. He will hyperextend the elbow for you so I wouldn't want to try this with him :(

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but what happens when it is the other person's turn, does he suck it up or what? If he actually enjoys it then you have no choice but to find him a partner of the same mindset and let them beat each other to %%#@. or........

Invite him to a few BB classes for use as an uke (dummy).

Rob

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
When I was at my heaviest, I used people like this for a technique I created and called the Falling Fat Man Def- Two handed choke.
1.) Hop back with both feet while simulataneously executing a palm heel strike to each elbow.
2.) Without any loss of momentum travel up and back down striking the radial nerves with outward hand swords (palms up).
3.) Bouncing off the forearms do a double claw to the face with the thumbs entering the eye sockets.
4.) Retract your hands and bounce off your chest into a double punch to the attackers chest/solar plexus.
5.) Step forward with the right foot and place your hands at the junction of the lumbar/cocyx region. Placing your thumb between the vertebrae, pull the attacker into a bear hug and lean forward, making sure the crown of you head is tucked under the chin as you fall forward.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

When I was at my heaviest, I used people like this for a technique I created and called the Falling Fat Man Def- Two handed choke.
1.) Hop back with both feet while simulataneously executing a palm heel strike to each elbow.
2.) Without any loss of momentum travel up and back down striking the radial nerves with outward hand swords (palms up).
3.) Bouncing off the forearms do a double claw to the face with the thumbs entering the eye sockets.
4.) Retract your hands and bounce off your chest into a double punch to the attackers chest/solar plexus.
5.) Step forward with the right foot and place your hands at the junction of the lumbar/cocyx region. Placing your thumb between the vertebrae, pull the attacker into a bear hug and lean forward, making sure the crown of you head is tucked under the chin as you fall forward.

OUCH!!!!!
--Dave

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK this could be taken several ways. But the way I meant it was another technique a friend of mine did at his 1st Black test in front of Mr. Parker, when I was testing for 2nd, was "Crashing Boulders". You got it ... at the end of the technique he sat on them, vigourously. Dennis, you may remember Julian Henry? I think it was the last technique in his form. I knew what was coming, but still could not stop from chuckling.

Michael B.
United Kenpo Systems-Texas

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn breaking...
I've been begging to learn breaking...

however, I have sensed a hesitancy from those I have approached who know how to do it. My instructor himself doesn't teach breaking, so I've asked around, and almost everyone I've asked doesn't seem to want to teach a girl how to break. When the guys ask, they get taught right away, but when I ask, they're "busy" and "maybe some other time" why is this?! Its not like I want to break stacks of concrete bricks or anything, but just a little 1"x12" Its not something I plan on doing on a regular basis, its just something that I think is cool and I want to learn it. I'm a brown belt, so its not like I don't have martial arts experience, I've seen white belts do it, and I'm 23 so its not like I'm too young... Is there some reason why girls shouldn't break that I don't know about?

sigh...:confused:

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am just not comfortable teaching it to others.
Not sure why, I just feel like it is one of those things that you almost can not teach, it is experienced.

And experience is a very hard teacher indeed.
:(

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
I've been wanting to learn breaking... I've been begging to learn breaking...Is there some reason why girls shouldn't break that I don't know about?
sigh...

None that I know about Nightingale. I have taught all my female Student Brown Belts to Break... (required). Now, they don't have to break stakes of stuff but they do need to know how to do it and why. In fact all of them liked it but few really "got into it" much after they did their required amounts (usually only 2 boards or 2 inches of bricks).

I can't talk for your instructors ........ so it is a mystery to me as well as you. Come on down to Arizona LOL

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hey, its only 300 miles...I put more miles on my car than that in a week! (I live 68 miles one way from my job and 30 miles the other way from my studio LOL):rofl:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
he'd let me...

I'm going to be in AZ in August...if I haven't found someone to teach me by then, I'll look ya up.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you going to AZ to visit or to live there permanently? Also, can you be sure that your instructor will let you study with another instructor! I can only wish I could move to Arizona, besides the fact it has rained here everyday but 1 for the past 3wks. and 5 days, and it hasn't gone into the 70's but 5 total days this yr.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you are complaining about the rain............. We don't know what it is.....!!!!!!! It hasn't rained here all year!! Remember you have to share the pool with the Scorpions!

:rofl: :asian:

Latest Discussions