Brick and Board Breaking.........

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is how I developed a great understanding for depth of penetration. Some say that I hit hard (I disagree, I don't think I hit hard enough ~ really .. hee hee) but none the less I learned my focus via breaking. Yes, there is a real reason to learn this.

:asian:

T

tonbo

....next question: What's the best way to start? Just approach my instructor and ask? I'm guessing that he will know some of this, or at least be able to point me in the direction of someone else who would....

Should I buy a rebreakable board and mess with it?

Heh....sheeeesh, one more thing to work on....puts another smile on my face...;)

Peace--

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, first go to your instructor and get their guidance! This goes without saying. Your loyalty is always to your instructor, studio and organization.

To examine this correctly can be an intricate process to follow ~ i.e. conditioning etc.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I'm told that I do not hit that hard, but a chest strike is usually felt in the back the next day, hmmmm. I don't get it.

I once got hit so hard in the ribs, on the side, that my sternum bruised. It felt like my ribcage went flat on one side.:D

--Dave

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I'm told that I do not hit that hard, but a chest strike is usually felt in the back the next day, hmmmm. I don't get it.

Ahhhhh ... Glasshopper ... You have found the secret of striking the mystical and vewy secwet Golden Dwagon Internal Meridian of Tiger Balm Slow death by ...

Oh! Sorry! Thought I was writing for a new Chop-Socky Flick! :lol:

Rebound pain is not uncommon when a strike is accurately applied through the upper torso. I once learned a Shaolin strike that when applied on the right side, correctly, was purported to burst the left kidney and visa-versa. There's a lot to be said for applied energy.

Take care,

Dan

C

Chiduce

I enjoy breaking. It gives me a basic understanding of my striking skills. I would like to try the backhand slap for concrete, cinderblock and brick. I have seen it done successfully and is an awesome site to watch. I break, solid and holed concrete blocks, bricks, the concrete blocks with tile glued to ithem, cinders with and without holes. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I usually do a speed break or a one finger break to prove a point to people who are afraid of it. Last week, I wasn't really paying as much attention as I should and went to a speed break on a board I was holding and when I hit it and it didn't break, I found out it was still "green", hand should be back to normal in a few days.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Had a situation like that one time. Attempted, repeatedly, to break a board that had been provided by my instructor. My hand bounced off of it numerous times before I finally gave up ... Just a simple 12"x12"x1" board ... made from 105 year old oak!:eek:

After that I was always "vewy carefuw when I bwoke boards"! :rofl:

Dan

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

That would have broken it I bet.....:rofl:

MOM!!!! Make Dennis quit picking on me!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan "Why's everybody always pickin' on me????" Farmer

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Breaking boards is a excellant way to illustrate the concept of hitting through your target NOT to your target. Something you can't do on a person, well without them getting really angry and wanting to try it on you. It is only really for personel development or to teach the above mentioned principle among others. Like everybody has heard bricks and boards don't hit back......

That brings up and interesting idea. Have your partner hold a board and move with you like you are sparring. At any time he feels like he can settle and lock the board for a break in any position, angled downward for a front kick to the side for a ridge hand, etc. As soon as he settles (maybe says go or something) you have to focus and break. If it is just a single board it would provide enough resistance to challenge your technique without the need for the heavy duty focusing of a multiple board break.

I haven't done this as I just thought of it but now that it is down on 'paper' it sounds really cool, wish I had somebody to try it with.
:wah:

Rob

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
...I might really trust someone a lot.
But not with this drill.
Sounds to easy to have a mistake happen.
I enjoy breaking myself, especially at demos, I like to do the head butt breaking, that just throws people off.

:D

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Trust goes w/o saying in this type of drill. But as we spend more time in the arts we have to look at new ways to challenge ourselves. It seems to me when somebody is doing Lone Kimono on you you are trusting them not to hyperextend your elbow so I view this exercise no differently than the trust involved in doing self-defense full out. However you are right, you definitely have to set ground rules such as which way the grain will be going and you definitely have to trust each other.

Rob

Latest Discussions