Brick and Board Breaking.........

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually, I'd just be passing through arizona en route to a dinosaur excavation in eastern wyoming.

with regards to studying with different people: in the past five years, while studying under one main instructor, I have had
one person teaching me fighting
one person teaching me self defense and kata,
and two people teaching me weapons

somehow I think one more ain't gonna matter. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We'll just put those scorpions in the jar with the rest of them.
He He.
Jason Farnsworth

It's too darn cold up here for those things. You can keep 'em.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand now about the instructor thing. Some instructors are real touchy (extremly touchy) when they have a student go elsewhere. Looks like you have a good one. Mine is also fine with training with other instructors. There's too much knowledge out there that 1 person has that maybe others do not.
Respectfully,
Jason Farnsworth

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my instructor is very good when it comes to fighting and self defense techniques. However, kata isn't really his thing, he does it but doesn't like it, and he never learned weapons. his reasoning is that anything I learn elsewhere, I can bring back and share.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nope. I'm going to work on an actual dig site in eastern wyoming, about 40 miles north of Lusk, WY. The dig is on a private ranch and run by a paleontologist based out of USC.

Last year we pulled the better half of a triceratops skeleton out of the ground, including the horns and frill (the ruffly bony thing around the back of the skull). I found a few skeletons out there myself, but none worth digging up. Contrary to popular belief, triceratops skellys are a dime a dozen and most aren't worth the effort it takes to pull them out of the ground. If you know what you're looking for and you're looking in the right place, you can sometimes literally trip over bones.

If any of you live near downtown LA, you can see last year's triceratops at the Mercado cultural center just south of USC. I found the femur (upper leg bone) on the skeleton myself. It had gotten separated from the rest of the skeleton and ended up further down the canyon. I jumped down a small cliff and it was sticking out of the wall.

This year we're working on a duckbill. Its really not very complicated, once you figure out how to tell the difference between bones and rock. Its just a lot of very tedious digging and brushing, and pouring paleobond (glorified super glue) on the bones to keep them together.

Its great fun, but a LOT of hard work. :)

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
Contrary to popular belief, triceratops skellys are a dime a dozen. :)

It would be great in my back yard! How do I get a small one. (just the head)

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe...I said JUNK triceratops skellys are a dime a dozen...
if it has a skull, even a partial one, its a GOOD skelly.

skulls are seldom preserved because they aren't flat like most of the other bones, and they aren't solid, like horns. The skull tends to get completely crushed by the weight involved in the fossilization process. Intact skulls are worth a LOT of money. an intact horn can sell for $4000-$6000. A skull is much more than that.

If you like, though, I can send you some bone pieces. I have some bits of a T-Rex rib bone, some fossilized turtle shell, and some Triceratops rib fragments. When I was teaching first grade last year, I used to give them out in my prize box. The boys were always competing over the bones. They thought they were so cool. hehe. I think they're cool too...i just know that when I go back there this year, I'll have another few buckets full of bone scraps.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 12 and 13 year old will go wild for those......... Hell, forget them "I" want them :rofl: that is really cool.

I'll even teach you how to break them!! :rofl:

Be sure and tell Dave tho.... I don't want him to come over and kill me or anything LOL.....

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where could a person get ahold of some dino claws or teeth? How rare are they?

I'd love to have a job studying bones and playing in the dirt all day. I just don't think that I could sit at a desk and write my findings down in order to really go after that type of job. Just let me dig in the dirt all day and do Kenpo at night and I'd be fine.. or just do Kenpo all day and Dig in the dirt on occassion... Fun stuff.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
claws and teeth are really rare. claws don't tend to fossilize well...they're like fingernails. Teeth are just so small they tend to get washed away or simply overlooked. I found three of them on my last dig and the paleontologist told me that he hadn't found that many in the last year. I guess I have a good eye for detail or something. He didn't let me keep the teeth. He says those belong in a museum, and he's right. I also found a garfish tooth, and a few garfish scales, again, which belong in a museum, so I couldn't keep em. Those were really cool tho...the fish tooth was still sharp after millions of years.

claws and teeth are typically found in areas called "lag deposits" which is basically a bend in a dried up riverbed or floodplain where junk washed out by river or flooding collects. you get a lot of miscellaneous bone fragments there too, mostly just sitting right on top of the ground because of a recent flash flood. Unless you really know your dinos, its really hard to guess which dino the fragment came from, and even then, its still just an educated guess from knowing which dinos are in the area, and what the bones look like... for example, a T-Rex bone is a lot more dense and weighs a lot more than a duckbill bone, because T-Rexes were a lot heavier and had a lot more muscle to support, so if you find a really dense, heavy bone, you can make an educated guess that it came from a T-Rex, and if you find a lighter bone, it probably came from a triceratops, because they're the most common in the area, but it could just as easily be from a duckbill. About one in a hundred skellys out there are duckbills. One in a million is a T-Rex. They're much rarer because they're at the top of the food chain. Duckbill and Triceratops are at the bottom, because they eat plants. It takes a lot of plants to feed a triceratops, and it takes a lot of triceratops to feed one T-Rex. Sue, the T-Rex skelly that was sold at Christies auction was found about ten miles from our dig site. Sue is the most complete T-Rex skeleton ever found, and she sold for millions. Stan, the other T-Rex found by the same paleontologist as Sue, was also found nearby. T-Rex skellys are definitely in the area...I just haven't found one....yet.:)

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, you at least got to play with the teeth for a little bit. =)

Maybe I should switch from striving for a Psychology degree to a 'dig in the ground' -ology degree. I'd just love to have fun playing in the dirt. I don't care if I'd be digging up dino's or digging up tombs... just to dig in the dirt with the hope of discovering something new. (The digging in the dirt is the biggest part. :lol:) I love knowledge and discovering things of all types. It's a curse to be interested in so many different things. Oh to be independantly weathy so that I could explore those interests. I'm not, but I've got the next best thing... Kenpo. As long as you train you will never cease to discover and re-discover new things. Like digging for dino bones, it takes hard work and a strict attention to detail <Basic Training flashback: "Attention to detail is the most important thing in your lives, Maggots!"> but new knowledge (to you at least) is there. I've heard a saying "Seek that which all else is connected." Kenpo is one such thing. No matter where your journey through life will take you, Kenpo has a connection to it. A true black belt in Kenpo is not just a black belt in Kenpo, but is one in life as well. S/he has learned how to live a better and more fulfilling life. Like breaking bricks and boards, you can break through obstructions in your path, not because your hand is more solid than the brick or board but because your mind is fully set on driving not into it, but rather beyond it.

All bow down to the master rambler... I can go on and on about nothing at all.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL. digging-in-the-dirt-ology! great way to put it...

I love both paleontology (dinos), and archaeology (people). My goal someday is to go to egypt and assist in the excavation of KV-5. That's the tomb where all of ramses II's children are buried...he had like 100 kids. This tomb is insane. there's so many different passages. It was buried by a cave in very early, so only the first two rooms got robbed, and everything else is still there, but its literally completely covered in dirt, so its taking forever to excavate and rely on volunteers...sigh...to have the time and money to finance a trip to egypt for a year or so to go dig in dirt.... dunno why most girls don't like getting dirty...they're missing out!

C

C.E.Jackson

I teach breaking as a means of building confidence, penetration, and teaching control of adrinelin. However beyond demontrations and training for beginners I don't feel it has any really useful applications.:asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
The excavation of KV-5. That's the tomb where all of Ramses II's children are buried...he had like 100 kids.

Those are just the Boys (111).... in addition he is believed to have had another 50 some girls as well!!

Nefertiti and his harem were busy!

Is his successor Ramesis III, his 12th son, Merenptah buried there in KV-5 as well?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.....picturing pharaoh complete with gold headdress and funky goatee screaming "hiyaaaahhhh" and snapping boards in half....

LOL.:rofl: :viking3: ...sigh.... why do we have viking smilies but not egyptian smilies?

Latest Discussions