Brick and Board Breaking.........

K

Kirk

Wouldn't mind trying it once or twice, but it's not done in my
school :(.

R

Rainman

Hmm what about the conditioning it takes to do breaking? Seeing that in a typical school must be equally as rare. Not a lot of AKer's seem to get into weapon conditioning. Seems like it would be beneficial if not done to the extreme.

:asian:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Breaking is kind of a throw away technique or series of techniques. Depending on what kind of breaking you are talking about, there isn't any real hand conditioning required. Mainly, it's all mind and basic technique.

Breaking isn't really necessary to being able to perform martial arts well. I use it, on occasion, to show the students what it's all about, then get on with it. Generally, for simple breaking technique, it only takes about 5 minutes of instruction before almost anyone can break a board.:eek:

Dan

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Basically true, however I'm not only referring to one board or brick (which I agree with you only takes a few minutes to explain and execute for most) but when I was training breaking.... (I admit I did go to extremes) I learned to break with everything. From 2 knuckle punches to spear hands to head breaks, to heel breaks (which I used in competition effectively 13 + un-spaced bricks) to an 8' 2x4 being swung at me and broke with an inward block, elbows, knees, fire breaks, suspended breaks to the hardest of them all .... selective breaking, and, well... yes, you could say I went a little crazy :) ,

I used to even break the Standards that I set the bricks on (after a challenge) which was a regular block 8x8x16. After all was said and done there actually was a lot of different conditioning methods I experimented with and needed to do the level of breaking I was doing.

The end result (other than always being wanted for demos) was a great understanding of depth of penetration. Mr. Parker and I discussed this a lot (he also used to break a lot in the early days). He concurred with me as to the benefits, but we both agreed that it is not for most in today's studios for several reasons, at least not to my level of training.

I do agree with Dan that today you can turn on to the Christian Channel on cable and watch the Power team do many breaking feats most of which are a great "smoke and mirrors" display of power to entertain folks.

Real Breaking is an art in itself and everyone (in my opinion) should at some point experience it to some degree for obvious benefits that I have stated.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see what you mean now Dennis. You're right. We used to break lots of stuff like that. As a matter of fact, when I first started in Kenpo, I was also doing Shaolin Fist from a "certified" Shaolin Master, 5th generation. We used to do a lot of iron palm training and breaking like that. Used to be fun to literally shatter concrete blocks with a palm slap. We kind of gave that up when my Kenpo instructor, Dick Ranney, used it quite accidentally, while sparring. He slapped on a ball kick and broke the students shin in, as I recall, at least two places.

The problem with things like palm development, and hand development, is that if you continue, and you are not sure of what you are doing, you may very well end up with permanent hand damage, or at the very least, limited range of motion.

I have a couple of my "hard core" Black Belts that are out in the world, in various diverse, places, and we do breaking every once in a while when we get together. When we do, we occasionally practice breaking 4 inch concrete blocks. However, it's not something I teach anymore. Frankly, I simply don't see the need for it.

Having said that, you and I, Dennis, are from the old school, where we used to go out of our way to attempt to outdo the orientals. If they could break 3, we would break 4.

As I have said before, a better example of break.aing would be speed breaking. Tie a 1/2 inch by 6 inch board with two lengths of thread from the ceiling hanging so that the 6 inch side is facing you. Break it with either a spear or a front punch, and leave the string unbroken. Now... That, in my mind, equates to power.

As usual, it is much fun to trade old guy war stories with you.

Dan Farmer

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't nor have I trained it either for over 20 years. LOL.... I had the foresight to not want to be crippled at 50 LOL. I did want to be able to feed myself toast at breakfast .......:rofl:

Yes, the suspended breaks are really fun to do. They demonstrate ...... well I wouldn't say power..... but rather penetrated focus ability of a blow. It really does take a little skill and focus to break "suspended" boards or bricks.

P.S. Oh yeah....... watch your mouth........ about this "Old Guy" stuff..... shessh! I'm just a kid compared to some of you geezers!:iws:

T

tunetigress

Well I just love all you old geezers in here, you make me feel young! :D

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did a break for my students Saturday, for the Project Action Break-a-thon. Was doing patio blocks went for 8 of the 8"x16"x2" have never try the patio blocks before. Broke 5 of the 8 with forearm. I knew when I hit it, it wasn't going to go. Have broken 10 of the Edging blocks before. Also blew up a pop can with a punch. It is amazing that some people have never broke before. Have a former TKD student that has never broke before I show him how. I am glad my instructor had showed me. It is something I don't want to do all the time.
Bob Thomas :)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I went thru the TKD ranks I had to break starting at blue belt. Let's see, it was 2 boards with a jumping 180 back kick and I nailed it on the first try too :D .

For black we had to do 2 ceramic roofing tiles with a punch or chop and I can't remember what the other one was :(

My favorite break was the one for my high red belt. A person holds a board flat with arms outstretched and 2 boards are stood on end on it. You break the two boards with a step thru handsword palm up. It's a speed break and it took me three trys to get. So I worked on getting it down and moved up to 4 boards and was pretty good at it.

Haven't done any since, probably 91 or 92, but I still do some stuff to keep the right hand ready in case I want to. Knuckle push ups, punching wood concrete things like that.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

This was a huge factor for me in the beginning of my Kenpo training ..... does anyone else do much of this anymore?
:confused: :asian:

Done it before when I was heavily into TKD (No jokes please)
I still find it beneficial for use in class to help people with their kicking technique. After all, I ain't gonna let anyone blow a hole through me!:wink:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If anyone still breaks have you or do you use the re-breakable boards? At the kenpo school I go to they have them in different colors from yellow to black interestingly enough. Yellow the easiest and black the hardest. Haven't tried any of them yet was wondering if anyone else uses them too.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have used some different brands of these boards........ some are good some suck...... so by in large however I think they are a good idea economically and still accomplish what we want.

T

tonbo

Is there any real value in the process of breaking?

Okay, I know all about how if you can break the wood or concrete, you are essentially breaking bone and so on. Got that much. But what I mean is, is there a stronger argument *for* learning breaking than *against*, or is it all just a matter of personal choice?

I have never officially done breaking, although I have walloped the heck out of some of those rebreakable boards (the medium level ones). Broke one open on my first try, which surprised me, actually.

Anyway, I don't intend to slam anyone pro or con, I am just curious. Breaking is something that I have looked into, and wanted to try, but have never been real motivated to do so.

What would you guys say?

Peace--

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:hammer:
Never in Kenpo, but lots in Shotokan and Tae-Kwon-Do. Speed breaks, power breaks, all of them basically testostarone breaks. I knew I could hit hard if I could break a brick or boards. It had a lot to do with focus and committment to your strike. A very black dot kind of focus on intensity. Also a great forum for teaching the importance of breath and kiai.

They still break as part of testing in Tae-Kwon-Do generally. Of course it is usually with a kick and done with a 1" X 12" cut 12" long, so it is square. But the kids get a real bang out of it.

Now should we talk about makiwara training, which I did also, but got to stop shortly after starting Kenpo. No I take that back, Brian Duffy did put up some makiwara's in the school while I was there in the early 80's. I went back to playing with them until I transitioned to heavy bags when they became more available.

I have not looked back and my knuckles look almost human again. I am not real interested in breaking, but if some of my students are, I would probably do the Chinese heel palm breaks (wrist breaks) to teach them. If I remember ... and I do, it was sorta fun at the time, and occassionaly painful.

Have fun, Dennis - you break me up.
-Michael Billings
United Kenpo Systems.

Latest Discussions