Breaking

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked many many times before but what is the purpose of breaking boards? Is it purely to prove how strong you are, or is there a deeper meaning to it than that?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
its not really strength, but technique. you must have learned, how to hit efficient without hurting yourself.
and of course its to show off and get people to your martial arts school. :)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with strength. I can bench 300 something and many people here can break more than I can.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a confidence builder, it requires you to execute with good technique, and it's fun.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked many many times before but what is the purpose of breaking boards? Is it purely to prove how strong you are, or is there a deeper meaning to it than that?

Breaking requires you to put a lot of force into a small area very quickly, aka to get a good "snap" or "pop" to your technique. So it shows you can do that. Plus, like others have alluded to, it requires a certain mindset and confidence. And it looks cool so your friends/parents/kids/etc will be impressed, lol.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
To the uninitiated, punching through a board is intimidating. There is both a fear of injury and a fear of failure. But the student faces their fears, and (hopefully) is successful. They learn that fear is mostly in the mind and they can do more than they thought possible.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. The whole mind over matter and overcoming your fears makes a lot of sense.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be sure, there is technique and an element of strength involved. But mostly technique and self confidence IMHO.

You are absolutely right. If I relied on strength, I'd never be able to do the breaks. It's all about confidence, competence, and commitment.

Latest Discussions