Board breaking

sangchae

White Belt
Reaction score
I’m not the biggest fan of rebreakable boards, but I don’t hate them either; I’m pretty much indifferent to them.

The one thing I like most about them is they seem to have a significantly smaller margin of error regarding the striking target. I’d imagine breaking them in the air would be a lot harder than wooden boards. Have you noticed a difference?
I use the UMAB ones, which have 7 grades. I think the 4th grade (green) is supposed to be about the same as a pine board in force required to break it. Not sure how accurate that is though. As you say you do have to hit the re-breakable ones in the middle, where with pine you can drift off a bit more. They're not cheap, but mean you avoid buying pine every week!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the UMAB ones, which have 7 grades. I think the 4th grade (green) is supposed to be about the same as a pine board in force required to break it. Not sure how accurate that is though. As you say you do have to hit the re-breakable ones in the middle, where with pine you can drift off a bit more. They're not cheap, but mean you avoid buying pine every week!

I think that they're reasonably close to a standard pine board. That's subjective, of course, but that's how they 'feel' to someone who has broken literally hundreds of boards over the years.
Personally, I like that they require more accuracy; accuracy is something to be encouraged.
And while you're right that they're a bit pricey up front, I do think they're worth it in the long run, both in cost of boards over the lifespan of the rebreakable, and in the convenience of always having them available at any time.

Latest Discussions