BJJ question

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyway I'm done with this now. To the op either option is good I personally think Krav Maga is overall got more useful information for self defence not just for the actual fighting but the pre fight, the tactical behaviour and how to exit a fight quick but that's my opinion. Bjj is a good sport you'll get a good workout you'll learn some cool stuff. You can't go wrong either way

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah and are you still going to chase them when they're screaming out for help where anyone including police can hear....more than likely unless it's personal no attacker is going to start sprinting after you with a knife because that'd draw attention to themselves and no attacker wants that. Victim runs they may try and chase a little but will give up fairly quick especially when they're yelling out

As opposed to the quiet peaceful stabbing you described.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm in no way saying it not a legit way at all or it wouldn't work , it just not my choice of options

Options and choice is what people miss. So they think BJJ pick a move and then basically strawman the crap out of it. And BJJ doesn't work that way.

So here is BJJ for police.

Same techniques different order of priorities.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Options and choice is what people miss. So they think BJJ pick a move and then basically strawman the crap out of it. And BJJ doesn't work that way.

there are always options and that requires lateral thinking

mind you if my partner had sprayed me with pepper spray even accidentally after I'd be having words which might involve my boot and his nuts lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

mind you if my partner had sprayed me with pepper spray even accidentally after I'd be having words which might involve my boot and his nuts lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue is that BJJ is just so consistently better than the more appropriate methods. That their shortcomings almost factor out.

So even if going to ground and jumping off mount for arm bars isn't the best option. If you get good enough at it you will get away with it.

But if you fundamentally can't fight. You are going to have a bad day regardless of how tactically you deal with the situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Seen it heaps.

Big fights and cops just gassing everybody.

We had one where a cop was dropped by another spraying him and he was on the deck. And one of my guys had to stand on top of him fighting dudes so nobody stole his gun.

Industry training.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seen it heaps.

Big fights and cops just gassing everybody.

We had one where a cop was dropped by another spraying him and he was on the deck. And one of my guys had to stand on top of him fighting dudes so nobody stole his gun.

Industry training.

yeah I seen cops shoot too and ummmm well I shall refrain from commenting lol

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, many people here have made the point that being on the ground is not the place you want to be in a self defense situation. I agree. But, I think we might be forgetting that sometimes, its not your choice to be on the ground. There are people out there, that can take you down and pin you... and there is nothing you can do to stop them. We even see examples of this in MMA. Some guy comes in, who is a really good striker, with an amazing take down defense. Eventually, he fights someone who can take him down... and all the film study and fight prep for that one guy, doesn't stop the take down. Now what? While being on the ground may not be your ideal place to be in a situation... the choice may be made for you, whether you agree with it or not.

What BJJ brings, is a lot of great sweeps, escapes, reversals and even submissions. They also work from more positions than just guard. In my opinion, if you think that in a certain situation, the ground is the last place you want to be... that makes a better argument for studying BJJ, to learn to sweep and / or escape while on the ground, to regain your feet. (before or after choking the guy out... ;) ) Judo and Sambo would be good too... but for regaining your feet, I think BJJ is the king, as thats exactly what they focus on, the groundwork. If punching a guy off you, when you are on bottom worked that easily, why don't we see that happening more in MMA? I have seen a guy KOed from punches by the guy on the bottom... once. I have seen an awful lot more guys on the bottom take a serious beating because they had no real experience there.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, many people here have made the point that being on the ground is not the place you want to be in a self defense situation. I agree. But, I think we might be forgetting that sometimes, its not your choice to be on the ground. There are people out there, that can take you down and pin you... and there is nothing you can do to stop them. We even see examples of this in MMA. Some guy comes in, who is a really good striker, with an amazing take down defense. Eventually, he fights someone who can take him down... and all the film study and fight prep for that one guy, doesn't stop the take down. Now what? While being on the ground may not be your ideal place to be in a situation... the choice may be made for you, whether you agree with it or not.

What BJJ brings, is a lot of great sweeps, escapes, reversals and even submissions. They also work from more positions than just guard. In my opinion, if you think that in a certain situation, the ground is the last place you want to be... that makes a better argument for studying BJJ, to learn to sweep and / or escape while on the ground, to regain your feet. (before or after choking the guy out... ;) ) Judo and Sambo would be good too... but for regaining your feet, I think BJJ is the king, as thats exactly what they focus on, the groundwork. If punching a guy off you, when you are on bottom worked that easily, why don't we see that happening more in MMA? I have seen a guy KOed from punches by the guy on the bottom... once. I have seen an awful lot more guys on the bottom take a serious beating because they had no real experience there.

I am slightly confused. You are going from a SD situation to a ring situation and to me that is a somewhat different scenario.

There is every possibility that you may get taken to ground in an SD situation, I think that what was being said was avoid that and no more

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good points. You can't go wrong with BJJ/Judo/Wrestling/Boxing. Knowing more is better for sure.

I have my first BJJ class tonight so I'm curious how it will be. At 42 years old, BJJ would probably be easier on my body than wrestling or judo would be.

If I had to pick one, I think wrestling is proably the overall best grappling system, from what I've read, witnessed in UFC and been told by those that practice both. Wrestling controls the fight. They can take you down, be hard to takedown, control you, submit you or just take you down and run LOL.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good points. You can't go wrong with BJJ/Judo/Wrestling/Boxing. Knowing more is better for sure.

I have my first BJJ class tonight so I'm curious how it will be. At 42 years old, BJJ would probably be easier on my body than wrestling or judo would be.

I think wrestling is proably the overall best grappling system, from what I've read, witnessed in UFC and been told by those that practice both. Wrestling controls the fight. They can take you down, be hard to takedown, control you, submit you or just take you down and run LOL.

That I do not know lol but good luck with the class

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A mate of mine saw a guy choked out in a street fight on the weekend.

He was working a pub and was breaking up a fight where this one guy was flipping out on everyone. Trying to headbutt and bite people at the same time. Stools were being waved the whole bit.

And this little dude came out of the crowd and choked him straight out.
Video or it didn't happen.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If I had to pick one, I think wrestling is proably the overall best grappling system, from what I've read, witnessed in UFC and been told by those that practice both. Wrestling controls the fight. They can take you down, be hard to takedown, control you, submit you or just take you down and run LOL.

I took my first BJJ class at 41 years old. It was a good day! I hope yours is too.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion... there is a reason I don't write for a living.
There is every possibility that you may get taken to ground in an SD situation, I think that what was being said was avoid that and no more
The point I was trying to make was that avoiding the take down may not always be possible.

I am slightly confused. You are going from a SD situation to a ring situation and to me that is a somewhat different scenario.
You are correct. They are different situations. In a ring situation, you know who your opponent is, well ahead of time (usually). You can watch video of them and learn how good they are at taking people down and even how they take people down. You can spend the entire training camp just preparing to stop that opponents take down. Still, you end up being taken down. So, if you can't always stop the take down, with all the advantages of a ring fight: knowing who you are fighting, how they do their take downs and having time to train to specifically stop those take downs... Why should I think that I can always stop the take down of some guy I don't know anything about and could not train specifically for in a self defense situation? Since you can't stop the take down 100% of the time, in the easier (ring) situation, with all those advantages... I don't believe you can 100% stop the take down in a self defense situation. In fact, I believe it will be harder to stop a take down in a self defense situation.

This is why I think it is more important to learn to work on the ground, especially if you are training for self defense. In the ring, you can tap out and go home. That is not always available in the self defense situation.