Knee on neck choke

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've used this in a SD situation a few years ago, and I felt absolutely horrible about it, because it seemed pretty brutal doing it on someone not prepared for it, and it wasn't a life or death situation.

Anyway, I was curious if this technique is considered something to be used while training and competition, or do people view this as a "dirty" move that should be avoided for a different submission? My Bjj gym looked down on the move and said we shouldn't do it. Just wondering if the mindset had changed.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d have no problem doing it or having it done to me in sparring. It might be a bit too mean to do on new white belts, but otherwise it seems a perfectly cromulent technique.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've used this in a SD situation a few years ago, and I felt absolutely horrible about it, because it seemed pretty brutal doing it on someone not prepared for it, and it wasn't a life or death situation.

Anyway, I was curious if this technique is considered something to be used while training and competition, or do people view this as a "dirty" move that should be avoided for a different submission? My Bjj gym looked down on the move and said we shouldn't do it. Just wondering if the mindset had changed.
Hah, I remember when this was introduced to us. Coach filed it into the 'dick move' category, but he didn't discourage it's use.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess my instructor just didn't like it. I know when I did it on "the street" it was definitely effective and easy to set up. However, I didn't feel good about doing it (guy started screaming), and I was very afraid of legal repercussions.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if you held it a few seconds longer he would have stopped screaming. :)

I don't find anything wrong with it. Certainly not as offensive as using the word "cromulent."

And not to be the Fashion Police or anything, but that particular pink gi is the single ugliest gi I have ever seen. Anywhere.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And not to be the Fashion Police or anything, but that particular pink gi is the single ugliest gi I have ever seen. Anywhere.

Really?

I think it's awesome.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Neon Neck choke, and I agree with Buka. Tony, you be forced to wear an ugly pink gi for using "cromulent" in public.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Drop knee on your opponent's chest, groin, neck, head are very effective finish moves. IMO, it belongs to the striking category and not only belong to the chocking category.

Last edited:
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't find anything wrong with it. Certainly not as offensive as using the word "cromulent."

And not to be the Fashion Police or anything, but that particular pink gi is the single ugliest gi I have ever seen.

Yeah that gi is the worst. Looks like the same color of pesto bismo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess my instructor just didn't like it. I know when I did it on "the street" it was definitely effective and easy to set up. However, I didn't feel good about doing it (guy started screaming), and I was very afraid of legal repercussions.

If they can scream they can breathe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Is that one of the pink to support breast cancer gi's?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh
We do that kind of sub a lot in Japanese Jujutsu. I always assumed it wasn’t allowed in BJJ, I’ll ask my professor