BJJ question

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough choke a person out ...but is that a sports situation or real life ? as HH said while your busy clinching up etc his mates or even some other person who thinks your the bad guy comes along and lights you up .... way better to do the needful and leave fast

My mates would then choke his mates out though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a much better chance of either blocking it, avoiding it or running away if I'm not tied up with the guy with my body pressed totally against him and and my legs right by his arms.

Really? Try it and find out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough choke a person out ...but is that a sports situation or real life ? as HH said while your busy clinching up etc his mates or even some other person who thinks your the bad guy comes along and lights you up .... way better to do the needful and leave fast
Tbh the chokes are probably the best submissions for self defence because you can use them while on your feet and can put the guy in front of you to stop a direct attack and you can end the fight without seriously hurting them. I mean the other submissions in a real situation you'd have to break limbs no matter. So say I'm in a bar a guy comes up and shoves me so I double leg him and break his arm. The police show up this guys off to hospital with a busted arm and provably a concussion after hitting his head from the takedown and a hurt back from hitting the hard floor. Police question you on why you did it your answer...."he pushed me" tbh I don't think that's justifiable self defence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you meaning that if a knife present then that becomes the priority?

I could show someone a knife. Run across a room and still feel confident I can get them with it.

So when someone produces a knife mid arm bar it is more of a parlour trick than anything.

There are better and worse ways to defend knives. That rubber knife surprise stuff is not a good way of demonstrating it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol ok are we gonna then get down to the stage of my mom then gonna fight your mom and my dog tougher than your dog lol
Yeah and because it's so easy to apply a choke standing up on guys who are probably drugged up or drunk and full on aggressive moving forward going at someone swinging their arms and their heads going everywhere....so easy to apply a choke

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tbh the chokes are probably the best submissions for self defence because you can use them while on your feet and can put the guy in front of you to stop a direct attack and you can end the fight without seriously hurting them. I mean the other submissions in a real situation you'd have to break limbs no matter. So say I'm in a bar a guy comes up and shoves me so I double leg him and break his arm. The police show up this guys off to hospital with a busted arm and provably a concussion after hitting his head from the takedown and a hurt back from hitting the hard floor. Police question you on why you did it your answer...."he pushed me" tbh I don't think that's justifiable self defence

from that point I see your point ...however choke him and get it wrong and you could put him out or worse bust the neck ...I know devils advocate ...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could show someone a knife. Run across a room and still feel confident I can get them with it.

So when someone produces a knife mid arm bar it is more of a parlour trick than anything.

There are better and worse ways to defend knives. That rubber knife surprise stuff is not a good way of demonstrating it.
Why? It's a perfect example of the limitations of it just because you want to stick your fingers In your eyes and scream about how perfect Mma is doesn't make the points less valid. Fact is its way more dangerous to be in a grappling situation against a weapon that it is to be at distance. That's a fact I'm sorry if that upsets you but anyone who's not a total Mma fanboy will say the same

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I kinda agree and disagree lol

if you show me a knife and I don't know you lol then I'm a moving before you start yelling or running if that makes sense ....like the 100 meter sprinter he goes on the B of the Bang as if he waits til the ANG (unless he Mr Bolt in his prime) he lost so when ya show I already be moving on the S lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
from that point I see your point ...however choke him and get it wrong and you could put him out or worse bust the neck ...I know devils advocate ...
Putting him out is fine you let go he comes round in about a minute enough time to escape and your not going to break a neck with a rear naked choke otherwise it'd be a banned move in Mma. There's hundreds of guys who've gone unconscious in fights from chokes and as far as I know no necks have been broken from that

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done multiple times and I stand by what I say because I've done it. How many knife attacks have you trained in Mma class?

I taught scientific fighting Congress for a year or so back in the day which was RBSD as hell.

Otherwise we have some knife guys in our mma club.

One of our regular seminar guys Rob, is legitimate stick and knife from one of those foreign systems. (Might be Philippino. But I am not sure)

We get street.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I kinda agree and disagree lol

if you show me a knife and I don't know you lol then I'm a moving before you start yelling or running if that makes sense ....like the 100 meter sprinter he goes on the B of the Bang as if he waits til the ANG (unless he Mr Bolt in his prime) he lost so when ya show I already be moving on the S lol

That's cool. Try to outrun me. Even that doesn't have great odds.

It is just not great odds.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Putting him out is fine you let go he comes round in about a minute enough time to escape and your not going to break a neck with a rear naked choke otherwise it'd be a banned move in Mma. There's hundreds of guys who've gone unconscious in fights from chokes and as far as I know no necks have been broken from that

I get you just I gotta a different angle I guess but I wasn't dismissing what you said

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A sweep will never be faster than a punch no matter how good the grappler is in a sweep you still need to either get control of the arm or leg, get your hips in the right position get your legs in the proper position then execute the sweep. A punch is straight in no set up required.

It's the old saying punch a black belt he becomes a brown belt, punch a brown he becomes a purple etc. again I'm not hating on bjj as I do train it and enjoy it but I can definitely see its limitations
Eh, I've been in situations when I started BJJ where someone would sweep me or otherwise get out from underneath much faster than I could punch my way out from bottom. Takes a few punches, especially with the lack of power when I'm on my back. Maybe I just don't punch enough in grappling though :bored:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I wasn't meaning run necessarily what I was meaning was as you show then I'm moving and attempting to negate or neutralize ya ...yes that may involve running but it may not

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A mate of mine saw a guy choked out in a street fight on the weekend.

He was working a pub and was breaking up a fight where this one guy was flipping out on everyone. Trying to headbutt and bite people at the same time. Stools were being waved the whole bit.

And this little dude came out of the crowd and choked him straight out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh, I've been in situations when I started BJJ where someone would sweep me or otherwise get out from underneath much faster than I could punch my way out from bottom. Takes a few punches, especially with the lack of power when I'm on my back. Maybe I just don't punch enough in grappling though :bored:

You probably wouldn't punch from the bottom.

Stand up, sweep, submit is our order of priorities.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A mate of mine saw a guy choked out in a street fight on the weekend.

He was working a pub and was breaking up a fight where this one guy was flipping out on everyone. Trying to headbutt and bite people at the same time. Stools were being waved the whole bit.

And this little dude came out of the crowd and choked him straight out.

I'm in no way saying it not a legit way at all or it wouldn't work , it just not my choice of options

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah and are you still going to chase them when they're screaming out for help where anyone including police can hear....more than likely unless it's personal no attacker is going to start sprinting after you with a knife because that'd draw attention to themselves and no attacker wants that. Victim runs they may try and chase a little but will give up fairly quick especially when they're yelling out