Belt whipping to end a Black Belt grading!!

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was getting whiped i would run away , but that just totally wrong. I do not want to get hit or it will totally destroy my goal to become a black belt one day

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What a bunch of Sadistic "people"!!! (people to be substituted with the proper appointed Verb)

Martial arts is about these vitues:
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Seven virtues of Bushido[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]The Bushido code is typified by seven virtues:[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Rectitude [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Courage [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Benevolence [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Respect [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Honesty [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Honour [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Loyalty [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Associated virtues[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Filial piety [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Wisdom [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Care for the aged

Where is that here?
Its just evil, nothing more than that. I would never subject ANY of my students to that and I would definately report any instructor to the authorities that did this especially to Women or Minors.

Its abuse and I've NEVER heard of it occuring in the UK so where does it happen, US, Japan, Europe, Where?

Seriously can't understand how anyone could let this happen!!!

I want to vomit because I can't believe that 1 human being wants to do this to another human being, I suppose the people who think this is acceptable think its acceptable for a person to go around New york shooting anyone that comes their way or thinks the Movies "Hostel" and "Hostel 2" are comedies

sick, seriously sick

Apologies to eevery NORMAL person out there who has to read my rant

OSU
[/FONT]

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I went up and down the gauntlet when I got my purple belt. Doesn't hurt very much and it's a rite of passage. It's no biggie if someone doesn't want to do it.

Silly, macho and testosterone driven? Sure. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the jiu jitsu belt gauntlet is evil or sadistic.

On that note, I also wouldn't agree that martial arts training is any more or less about the seven virtues of bushido, or it's "associated virtues." But that's just my opinion.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of Sadistic "people"!!! (people to be substituted with the proper appointed Verb)

Martial arts is about these vitues:
Seven virtues of Bushido
The Bushido code is typified by seven virtues:
Rectitude
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Honesty
Honour
Loyalty

Associated virtues
Filial piety
Wisdom
Care for the aged

Where is that here?
Its just evil, nothing more than that. I would never subject ANY of my students to that and I would definately report any instructor to the authorities that did this especially to Women or Minors.

Its abuse and I've NEVER heard of it occuring in the UK so where does it happen, US, Japan, Europe, Where?

Seriously can't understand how anyone could let this happen!!!

I want to vomit because I can't believe that 1 human being wants to do this to another human being, I suppose the people who think this is acceptable think its acceptable for a person to go around New york shooting anyone that comes their way or thinks the Movies "Hostel" and "Hostel 2" are comedies

sick, seriously sick

Apologies to eevery NORMAL person out there who has to read my rant

OSU
And if I don't train in a Japanese art? Say I train in an Indian art, or an Indonesian style... or just boxing/kickboxing?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did the whipping-with-belts gauntlet when I got my blue belt in BJJ. It wasn't particularly painful compared to the training I went through to get to that point in the first place. It wasn't at all humiliating either, at least from my standpoint. I didn't have any negative feelings about the experience.

On the other hand, I don't know that it had any particular value either. Just a bit of macho-tinged ritual. I suppose it makes some people happy.

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And if I don't train in a Japanese art? Say I train in an Indian art, or an Indonesian style... or just boxing/kickboxing?

That's just being pedantic!

doesn't matter where the style originates from its sick. Most people begin martial arts to give them the confidence to protect themselves against bullies. THIS is just the icing on the cake of Bullying. If they say NO, I'm not taking the Whipping?Kicking? whatever the Hazing Ritual is, does that mean they'll fail their grade, therefore this is an infringement of that individuals Civil rights, and I'm sure our American Posters know all about the Constitution!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

doesn't matter where the style originates from its sick. Most people begin martial arts to give them the confidence to protect themselves against bullies. THIS is just the icing on the cake of Bullying. If they say NO, I'm not taking the Whipping?Kicking? whatever the Hazing Ritual is, does that mean they'll fail their grade, therefore this is an infringement of that individuals Civil rights, and I'm sure our American Posters know all about the Constitution!!!

Which civil right is it infringing on? There's no Constitutional implication in an action like this.

If all the participants are willing, and it's a non-injurious "welcome" to the new rank, what's the problem? Some of the stories in this thead are certainly excessive or bullying (like the instructor who kicked a woman literally off the mat to get back at her friend...), but that doesn't mean a procedure like this is automatically bad or intrinsically evil.

People train in the martial arts for lots of reasons. Some join a school to do something with their kids. Others are looking for self-defense skills. Some want to compete in sports or go to the Olympics. Or they're looking to learn another culture... Or just "I heard these guys were doing something cool, so I decided to try it." I think you're pushing to say that "most" or even many join seeking confidence against bullies.

I don't do a ritual like kicking in or a belt whipping with my students -- but some schools I know do. Everyone knows about it going in, they have fun with it, and nobody gets hurt.

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which civil right is it infringing on? There's no Constitutional implication in an action like this.

If all the participants are willing, and it's a non-injurious "welcome" to the new rank, what's the problem? Some of the stories in this thead are certainly excessive or bullying (like the instructor who kicked a woman literally off the mat to get back at her friend...), but that doesn't mean a procedure like this is automatically bad or intrinsically evil.

People train in the martial arts for lots of reasons. Some join a school to do something with their kids. Others are looking for self-defense skills. Some want to compete in sports or go to the Olympics. Or they're looking to learn another culture... Or just "I heard these guys were doing something cool, so I decided to try it." I think you're pushing to say that "most" or even many join seeking confidence against bullies.

I don't do a ritual like kicking in or a belt whipping with my students -- but some schools I know do. Everyone knows about it going in, they have fun with it, and nobody gets hurt.

Maybe its just an American thing as I've not heard of it happening in the UK, Same as "Linching" and the KKK all in good fun!!!

NOBODY has answered "what if the Candidate doesn't want the "ritual" belt whipping etc?" DOES it mean that they've failed their grade, if it is they do NOT have a choice and therefore it is an infringement of their Civil rights.

this "beating" is a new thing NOT an old thing, and not representative of true martial artists. I would say its the same schools that award themselves Soke and 10th Dans that enjoy it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe its just an American thing as I've not heard of it happening in the UK, Same as "Linching" and the KKK all in good fun!!!

NOBODY has answered "what if the Candidate doesn't want the "ritual" belt whipping etc?" DOES it mean that they've failed their grade, if it is they do NOT have a choice and therefore it is an infringement of their Civil rights.

this "beating" is a new thing NOT an old thing, and not representative of true martial artists. I would say its the same schools that award themselves Soke and 10th Dans that enjoy it.

Well its not a new thing this is something that's been done for as long as men have trained for combat. We did similar things for promotion in the military. Getting your blood stripe in the Marines for example. Getting your jump wings pinned on ect. I think comparing it to the KKK is just silly. You don't like it don't do it. Don't join a school that does it.

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well its not a new thing this is something that's been done for as long as men have trained for combat. We did similar things for promotion in the military. Getting your blood stripe in the Marines for example. Getting your jump wings pinned on ect. I think comparing it to the KKK is just silly. You don't like it don't do it. Don't join a school that does it.

Well I've done my own military service, even known of friends of friends shot at by "friendly fire" from you guys in the gulf 1.

I never had the Rituals and my style isn't a soft one, to me your battle scares are earned in combat NOT from some "college Hazing" ritual.

And you're supposed to be civilised. What man would allow another man to be a slave because of the colour (or Color) of his skin!

think its wrong and all that is put up to "defend" it is its a bit of fun, How many people have been killed in the last 40 years because of Hazing and other Rituals going wrong?

suppose you all belong to a school that does this as i suppose they think hazing rituals are a bit of fun

Last edited by a moderator:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I've done my own military service, even known of friends of friends shot at by "friendly fire" from you guys in the gulf 1.

I never had the Rituals and my style isn't a soft one, to me your battle scares are earned in combat NOT from some "college Hazing" ritual.

And you're supposed to be civilised. What man would allow another man to be a slave because of the colour (or Color) of his skin!

think its wrong and all that is put up to "defend" it is its a bit of fun, How many people have been killed in the last 40 years because of Hazing and other Rituals going wrong?

suppose you all belong to a school that does this as i suppose they think hazing rituals are a bit of fun

I'm not sure what friendly fire or slavery has to do with it but OK. Maybe you should just leave 8 year old threads stay dead if they make you this crazy.

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what friendly fire or slavery has to do with it but OK. Maybe you should just leave 8 year old threads stay dead if they make you this crazy.

Agreed, Its best to leave this thread alone as it drives me crazy seeing the Bigger man picking on the smaller man.

I will no longer reply to this thread

Thanks

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

US Constitution does not include the Declaration of Independence, which mentions Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. There was a Supreme Court Ruling on this in question to the Death Penalty.
Should I bring up poor dental hygiene in reference to those of UK? I mean it has not relevant point in this discussion and is only inflammatory.

So the question I have for you is if a student refuses to test or spar or perform a kata as they get nervous in front of people, should they still pass and be awarded the rank?

Be careful how you answer that as if you say yes then I could walk in and say it is hard for me to test, so just give me the rank. Oh by the way I find it hard to make money and pay you as well so you will do this for free. I think I want to be *insert rank here*.

Thank you.

People have a right to train where they want. To spar in systems that spar and if they do not want to spar to leave and go train elsewhere.

You are entitled to your opinion, as others are entitled to disagree with you.

As to bullying, I can see your point, yet I also think it could be a confidence builder to address being overwhelmed, and dealing with multiple people.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the UK...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have a cuppa concrete and harden the **** up.

:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a cuppa concrete and harden the **** up.

:)

:lol2: As our conditioning coach says 'Gan awa an get a cup o man up!'
images

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
:lol2: As our conditioning coach says 'Gan awa an get a cup o man up!'
images

I know ALL about body conditioning, it what I teach best. there's a difference between conditioning and humiliation!

All this taunting reminds me of the school grounds, not what I'd expect from Mature Martial Artists.

For me Battle scares are received through combat not a silly ritual.
I know we Knockdown Karateka are hard in our training with body conditioning, knockdown Kumite, 30-, 50-, 100-, 200-, & 300- man Kumite etc which I accept because the participants have a choice.

To me this is nothing more than glorified Hazing and is on par with Street Gang Initiations

http://www.gangsorus.com/initiations.html

You wont change my mind and it seems you guys think its fun, hey if you're kinky enough to enjoy a "whipping", hey who am I to interupt your "play"

I will no longer respond to this thread, Good Day

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You said that already
It's just a case of someone whining when they don't hear what they want to hear or when their bully tactics get turned back on them. Prove them wrong and you're "attacking them". He's probably gone whining to the mods about anyone who's disagreed with them. Common troll tactic. If he's not a troll, he's got thin skin and should 'toughen up'. Unless soft, delicate skin is a job requirement, in which case "it puts the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.:rofl:

As to "beatings", could be worse.:btg:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know ALL about body conditioning, it what I teach best. there's a difference between conditioning and humiliation!

All this taunting reminds me of the school grounds, not what I'd expect from Mature Martial Artists.

For me Battle scares are received through combat not a silly ritual.
I know we Knockdown Karateka are hard in our training with body conditioning, knockdown Kumite, 30-, 50-, 100-, 200-, & 300- man Kumite etc which I accept because the participants have a choice.

To me this is nothing more than glorified Hazing and is on par with Street Gang Initiations

http://www.gangsorus.com/initiations.html

You wont change my mind and it seems you guys think its fun, hey if you're kinky enough to enjoy a "whipping", hey who am I to interupt your "play"

I will no longer respond to this thread, Good Day

I haven't said anything about the belt whipping itself, I don't have an opinion on it because we don't do as adults don't grade for belts. You did state it doesn't happen here, well it does and I've posted the proof, I know a couple of the BJJ clubs. For the comment you quoted I've just paraphrased what was already said, it has nothing to do with conditioning nor how you train. It doesn't make you harder because you do full contact kumite, my instructor used to, in fact a lot of people used to and still do.
All this talk of 100 man kumite is irrelevant, it just sounds like bragging that your style is better than anyone elses. As you boast on MT of your kyu grades beating a female karateka up I doubt you have the high moral ground here.
You aren't being taunted, you just don't like the replies you are getting from people who are robust in their opinions which probably indicated robustness in their training. No one is trying to change your mind, why would we? If we all thought the same it would be boring.

Latest Discussions