Belt whipping to end a Black Belt grading!!

G

gojukylie

I was reading an article recently that showed images of Black Belt grading students getting whipped. It is held at the end of the grading as an initiation into higher grades. Just interested to here comments about this and if you have experienced it what benefits came from it. :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So is this a change from the "kick-in"?

- Ceicei

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been kicked , and punched but never wipped , Altough I felt many time like I had been beat with every thing at hand

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
visit http://www.ralphgracie.com scroll down and watch the video in the lower left. The whipping is all in good fun.
It sure is different than how the black belts are granted in American Kenpo. Is the ceremony only done with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu or is this ceremony found in other styles?

- Ceicei

OP
G

gojukylie

It was a Ryu of Okinawan karate and I also saw pictures of the kick-ins but I know that that is more common. The grading students would kneel as the black belts would whip them. :boxing:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been punched and kicked, but never whipped.

What benefits are there???? No idea.

Mike

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What benefits? None that I can see. It's another hazing ritual like all the rest. The military has plenty of them. Shellback for crossing the equator, pinning on your stripes when you get promoted and so on. Give me a good kick in any day. A whipping just seems like a means of humiliation.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The whipping at the Gracie Academy is a relatively painless social event where everyone participates with smiles and much laughter.
:CTF:

The Kenpo Groin Kick is a sadistic domination thing to humiliate people.
:btg:

My Kenpo school didn't do the groin kick...we went out for beer and pizza to celebrate!
:cheers:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Styles have their way of doing this.

Just be prepared if anyone ever asks you to receive the cane ;)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
The whipping at the Gracie Academy is a relatively painless social event where everyone participates with smiles and much laughter.
:CTF:

The Kenpo Groin Kick is a sadistic domination thing to humiliate people.
:btg:

My Kenpo school didn't do the groin kick...we went out for beer and pizza to celebrate!
:cheers:
mad3.gif

I have never seen it as a groin kick ... and that after 25 years in Kenpo, NEVER ONCE!! Always been a kick to the abdomen, and nobody was really trying to gut you, at least not until Black, and Mr. Parker's kick for my 2nd Black certainly was not
a sadistic domination thing to humiliate people.
Sounds like you found the right place for you OFK, with the grappling guys. You certainly are not happy with your mother-art.

-Michael

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our art, our dan (black belt) exams are so grueling, that any further beating would make it difficult to distinguish the end of the exam. So, to celebrate, we drink beer (or soda).

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

How's this for the kenpo kick in?

About a year ago I went to watch one of my good friends recieve her blackbelt, the test lasted a couple of hours and she was totally exhausted by the end.

I will preface the next part by filling in a little history. I left the school about 6 months earlier after having a major falling out with the school owner/instructor. The guy pretty much hates my guts, and knows that I am good friends with the person in question.

Now after the test he goes to "kick her in." He turns and looks right at me (no joke.... I have it on tape) and then boots her off the back of the mat. She spends the next 30 minutes crying because he kicked her so hard. The next day I went with her to the hospital because of the acute pain. Over the next several months we made several trips to the hospital due to severe abdominal pain, nausea, et cetera, which resulted in the removal of her gall-bladder.

I've been trying to get her to sue the Sh!+ out of him since it was obviously deliberate. Shortly after her test she quit the school and has since started training with another instructor.

As far as I'm concerned the kick-in is a dumb f*****g tradition which has nothing to do with martial arts training. It doesn't make you better in any form or fashion. You put your body out there hoping that your instructor has enough respect for you not to be a jackass, which Keith obviously didn't.

Everybody will keep doing what they've been doing, but I thought this story had some relevance. I would much rather take the whoever it was out for a drink with everyone to celebrate their hardwork, not try to make them feel stupid by kicking the sh!+ out of them. Especially if it's a female!!!!!!!

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think at times people go too far with the ritualizing. Nobody joins martial arts to be brutalized, and at times these riyuals can scare off students.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And that is why a friendly belt whipping running down a gauntlet is better than a kick from an instructor. You won't get hurt from the belt--unless you get hit in the eye. Whether or not you get hurt from the kick is entirely dependent upon your instructor.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
And that is why a friendly belt whipping running down a gauntlet is better than a kick from an instructor. You won't get hurt from the belt--unless you get hit in the eye. Whether or not you get hurt from the kick is entirely dependent upon your instructor.

I would much rathera kick tha being whipped by a belt regardless of how light the whipping is. Imagine telling the parents of a small child that their darling will be whipped after successfully completing their test.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine telling them an adult instructor is going to kick them in the stomach.

The belt whipping is kinda like the "spanking machine" we used to do on the elementary school playground on kids birthdays--pretty harmless. If you want to protect the kids, make them keep their gi tops on and cover their faces.

I can't believe we are actually debating this.

OP
G

gojukylie

I think that the question of Kick-ins could encourage a great debate between martial artists. In all of my years of training I have never actually seen a kick-in or whipping done in real life so therefore it would be wrong for me to comment against it. I have seen a kick-in on a video (“worlds strongest karate”) and the poor guy said that he had had enough and they threw him back in for more. For those of you that have seen it I am sure you know what I mean. I do think however that the question has to be raised as to what benefits derive from it and from reading some of the posts above it seems that it can be quite pointless.
If you have just spent two years intensely training for a specific grading to acquire a black belt from first kyu, you have put in the hard yards to the first advanced level. This to me says that you have stuck around and that you take your art seriously. Let’s just say that you have successfully completed a five hour black belt grading that has just taken the best part of your physical and mental abilities. Why would it be necessary to then have an all in ‘see if you can defend yourself’ kick-in to finish it off, especially when the sparring would have made up quite a chunk of your actual grading anyway. I can’t help but think that it is an “I am still the boss” method of grading completion. I can see that it may be a test of spirit but is it necessary? :rolleyes:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Kenpo we use a ceremonial kick to welcome the person to the next level. It isn't designed to inflict damage, just a little pain for an adult. Just like in childbriththere is pain to both the mother and the child, there is a little pain for perosn who just tested and has been born into a new level of learning.

With children the kick, or in many schools a punch is purely symbolic. There should be no pain what so ever. We always used a thrusting action to move them a little. This was also a way of geting hteparents involved since they would stand behind the child to catch them from the mild thrust.

gojukylie said:
I think that the question of Kick-ins could encourage a great debate between martial artists. In all of my years of training I have never actually seen a kick-in or whipping done in real life so therefore it would be wrong for me to comment against it. I have seen a kick-in on a video (“worlds strongest karate”) and the poor guy said that he had had enough and they threw him back in for more. For those of you that have seen it I am sure you know what I mean. I do think however that the question has to be raised as to what benefits derive from it and from reading some of the posts above it seems that it can be quite pointless.
If you have just spent two years intensely training for a specific grading to acquire a black belt from first kyu, you have put in the hard yards to the first advanced level. This to me says that you have stuck around and that you take your art seriously. Let’s just say that you have successfully completed a five hour black belt grading that has just taken the best part of your physical and mental abilities. Why would it be necessary to then have an all in ‘see if you can defend yourself’ kick-in to finish it off, especially when the sparring would have made up quite a chunk of your actual grading anyway. I can’t help but think that it is an “I am still the boss” method of grading completion. I can see that it may be a test of spirit but is it necessary? :rolleyes: