Belt whipping to end a Black Belt grading!!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note

Please keep the discussion at a friendly level. Use the ignore feature if you do not wish to see another members posts.

MJS
MT Asst Admin

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can imagine a belt whipping could be open to abuse but a place where the members would do that is probably somewhere that wouldn't have good training or be a place decent people would want to go. The sort of mindset people have that would use this to abuse people would mean that training would probably be rougher than necessary and where the higher grades would beat up on beginners and lower belts anyway. They'd run out of beginners soon enough or just attract people the same as themselves so they could beat each other up to their hearts delight!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can imagine a belt whipping could be open to abuse but a place where the members would do that is probably somewhere that wouldn't have good training or be a place decent people would want to go. The sort of mindset people have that would use this to abuse people would mean that training would probably be rougher than necessary and where the higher grades would beat up on beginners and lower belts anyway. They'd run out of beginners soon enough or just attract people the same as themselves so they could beat each other up to their hearts delight!

I tend to agree. If I saw that at a school, i'd walk out and I wouldn't recommending it any time soon.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to agree. If I saw that at a school, i'd walk out and I wouldn't recommending it any time soon.

Wow, talk about opening up an old post, am a bit annoyed about another different but in some ways similair occurrence (will post on that following this), and all I would say is that, if someone, Sensei or whatever, tried a stunt like that on me, hazzing, belt whipping, pointless full contact kick to gut/groin which you are not permitted to defend against or evade, whatever, I would either walk out or depending how I felt take it and then beat the currap out of them and then walk out. No offense to styles were this is "part" of the curriculum and each to their own but I have never come across or seen this in the judo, TKD or goju ryu karate I have trained in (or other styles where I have witnessed black belt or equivalent gradings).

If it is a test of conditioning to genuinely improve you or test your ability, ie breaking (which I also see no point in for real fighting or competition fights) then fine but otherwise, pointless. Again, if it's just a bit of light hearted letting off of steam, at end of a hard test, ie what seems to be explained in some bjj, then I guess ok but a bit weird, but to expect someone to stand there and take a beating or humiliation seems just low.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, talk about opening up an old post, am a bit annoyed about another different but in some ways similair occurrence (will post on that following this), and all I would say is that, if someone, Sensei or whatever, tried a stunt like that on me, hazzing, belt whipping, pointless full contact kick to gut/groin which you are not permitted to defend against or evade, whatever, I would either walk out or depending how I felt take it and then beat the currap out of them and then walk out. No offense to styles were this is "part" of the curriculum and each to their own but I have never come across or seen this in the judo, TKD or goju ryu karate I have trained in (or other styles where I have witnessed black belt or equivalent gradings).

If it is a test of conditioning to genuinely improve you or test your ability, ie breaking (which I also see no point in for real fighting or competition fights) then fine but otherwise, pointless. Again, if it's just a bit of light hearted letting off of steam, at end of a hard test, ie what seems to be explained in some bjj, then I guess ok but a bit weird, but to expect someone to stand there and take a beating or humiliation seems just low.

By the time you reach BB wouldn't you have seen...participated in....and accepted this ritual as part of the dojo culture? Who exactly cares if some schools do this? I doubt anyone who attends this school does.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the time you reach BB wouldn't you have seen...participated in....and accepted this ritual as part of the dojo culture? Who exactly cares if some schools do this? I doubt anyone who attends this school does.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Actually Tgace, you point makes perfect sense!! Thanks : )

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how Mrs Dog would feel about being spanked with her belt after promotional exams...

Latest Discussions