Are shin pads worth buying

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We usually do about twenty minutes of sparring at the end of our Freestyle Karate class. We work through several partners. When I´ve done it with the few available adults my son (7) usually has a go at me. I don´t block as well when it´s him for fear of hurting him. I usually get kicked on the shins many times. I feel it slightly but don´t seem to bruise any longer. Are shin pads worth buying or am I already hardened to it? :idunno:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
drunken mistress said:
Are shin pads worth buying or am I already hardened to it? :idunno:

I would say they definetly worth it. I had a sparring partner that had control problems, and after one class, I was limping for days.

I use hard pads, some prefer soft.
I asked for input on this board on hard vs soft, and received great info.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what you are saying that is happening in the school, the soft shin pads should suit well. If it turns into harder contact later on, then the hard shin guards.

I use the soft shin pads for my sparring practices.

- Ceicei

S

Shinzu

in my opinion... heck yeah! i use them all the time when we spar. my shins would always get beat up bad.

i use the padded, not the plastic. they were well worth it!!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shin pads are most definetly worth the purchase price. Think of it as protecting your sparring partner as well as yourself. If the pad makes contact with uke instead of your hardened shin it's not nearly as likely to injure your partner.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else........the times I have not sparred with them are the times I've gotten some really bad shin injuries. Today, I have to wear them because my shins are so sensitive from all the years of being beaten around- won't even attempt to spar without them as I might have in my earlier days of training.

G

gojukylie

I believe that they are an important piece of protective equipment especially if you do Kumite all the time. I have spent many years with bruises on my shins and it doesn't matter how many you get you will never stop bruising.
The important thing to realise is that evey time you bruise yourself, you use the calcium stores in your bones to help repair the bruising. If you get bruised in the same area repeatedly, your bones over a long period of time will become week. You cannot condition bone so protecting them is wise.

Hope this helps..
:uhyeah:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Shin pads. I wear them if we are suiting up to spar. If it is all light contact to no contact and just timing and technique training, you can get by without them. Although like I said, it is nice to have them and to wear them.

They do avoid the injuries and limping when you go to work the next day.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gojukylie said:
I believe that they are an important piece of protective equipment especially if you do Kumite all the time. I have spent many years with bruises on my shins and it doesn't matter how many you get you will never stop bruising.
The important thing to realise is that evey time you bruise yourself, you use the calcium stores in your bones to help repair the bruising. If you get bruised in the same area repeatedly, your bones over a long period of time will become week. You cannot condition bone so protecting them is wise.
I think shin pads are very much worth it, especially if competing, most tournys I attend require them at least in sanshou. I don't agree with this post however stating that you can't condition your shins. We do iron shin training and trust me, some of my partners can kick our mook jong pretty dang hard with their shin and receive no bruising. A bruise is vascular not osteopathic, dealing with a bruise does not affect your bone or calcium. Developing hard shins is possible, but even with hardened shins its good to use the soft pads at least to protect your partners. Also using caution is smart, so I would advise using the pads.

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are only worth buying if you like walking with out a limp and/or sore shins :ultracool
Some protection is nice unless you are very hadcoe and have conditiond your shins

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

This is an older thread, but wha' th' hey!

Shin pads are inportant depending on the type of sparring taking place. We had a student black belt go down and litterally broke his shin when he kicked someone else in the shin. Yeah, it was sort of a fluke thing and there probably should have been some control issues addressed before it got that far, bbut it still happened and he paid the price with a compound fracture <wince>

I'll wear the pads when at a tourney. Never know how the others are going to react and/or kick. I'll wear them when I know sparing is going to be a little heavier than normal. I usually don't wear them during a normal sparring class, but I usually end up regreting it by the time the night is over, heh.:waah:

S

sifu nick

I'm gonna throw a wrench into this and go the opposite way. I have never worn shin pads when sparring and we do a lot of sparring at my school. Yes, I have bruised and limped a little but after awhile you get used to it and the shins will become more conditioned.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went through a short period not wearing shin pads, I now have some pretty hard shins, but i finally figured out that it was a good idea to just wear them. I would sugges soft shin pads, the hard ones could cause oinjuries to others.

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ya you should get shin pads because i got kicked once and it hurt and imean hurt.Ow but it long time now. Man cousins are always not funny. They are worth it trust me!!!!!!

OP
D

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have joined the camp of the shin pad wearers since going over to Kyokushin karate where you have to block with your shins. I pretty soon realised that was much more painful than merely getting kicked on them!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll throw my $0.02 into the ring.....I agree with almost everyone here - shin pads are definitely worth the investment. I used to spar a guy who absolutley loved to kick at chest level. Problem was, he was about 5" shorter than me, so to reach me, he'd jump up to throw his kicks. Invariably, once every two or three attempts, he's come down on my lead leg...and I mean land his foot just below my knee and rub it all the way down my shin to the mat. After a quick two minute round, I'd usually have to go find a bandaid. If even just ONCE I remembered my shin pads, it would have been worth it.

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
personaly i wear them at tournements so i minimize the pain and i can keep using that leg but during class i don't so i can codition them for real life and it helps in the tournements to have conditioned shins as well as shin pads cause then you can still use then leg without pausing because your leg will hurt alot less.

L

LT2002

Soft shin pads are a good investment! It is nice to get used to working without them too, but when you are paired with someone who cannot control their strikes they will prove the worth.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Soft shin pads rock!! I used to use my legs to jam kicks when I spar, so my shins got bruised pretty badly. Now that I have them, I am not scared to jam kicks.

Latest Discussions