Being Fit and Looking the Part...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait until the "fantasy" of the "Ill knock him out so quick I dont need to be in shape" idea proves, well..fantasy.

If you are ignoring fitness training or thinking you dont need to worry about additional training beyond your MA class you could be "dead" wrong.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you mean Sammo Hung. He trained with Jackie Chan--yes, he's a big fella.
Big fella for sure but that was really him doing those back-flips at the beginning of Enter The Dragon against Bruce Lee so the man was capable of some impressive stuff.
Sure he got big but I'd lay odds that he'd still be able to do some techs if not all.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since a couple of people have brought up Sammo, I remember one time in his TV show Martial Law a guy called him out of shape. His answer was, "I'm fat, I'm not out of shape".

The "ripped" look is largely genetics, or it is a condition that is only achieved for a short period of time (bodybuilders and fitness models) and they don't look like that all the time.

Even in MMA you have some guys that have the ripped physiques, but if you look at BJ Penn and Fedor Emileinko (sp?) they have a body of an average person in shape and they are considered top of the pack in their weightclasses.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think physical appearance plays an important role in signing potential students. If I were to walk into a martial arts school and saw a fat overweight instructor then I would probably look elsewhere. I think most people would. That fat instructor might be able to kick some butt but first impessions go a long way. If people leave due to the instructors appearance then they will never know if he is good or not. Plus its just healthier to be in overall good shape.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Since a couple of people have brought up Sammo, I remember one time in his TV show Martial Law a guy called him out of shape. His answer was, "I'm fat, I'm not out of shape".

The "ripped" look is largely genetics, or it is a condition that is only achieved for a short period of time (bodybuilders and fitness models) and they don't look like that all the time.

Even in MMA you have some guys that have the ripped physiques, but if you look at BJ Penn and Fedor Emileinko (sp?) they have a body of an average person in shape and they are considered top of the pack in their weightclasses.

Exactly.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plus its just healthier to be in overall good shape.

I think that that is a statement worth investigating in greater depth. What do we mean when we say "Good shape"?

It has been the conclusion of many studies that, in general, the damage done to the body to be at the peak of 'condition' for a purpose (either athletic or miltary) is just as bad as the damage caused by insufficient excercise.

The most startling example of this has been brought to light as more and more people get to go into the stressful environment that is outer space. It has been found that the 'fitter' you are on Earth, the less well your body copes with the stresses imposed upon it when you go into orbit.

Morbid obesity is not a good shape to be in but, so it would seem, neither is the classic 'hero' physique that we are propogandised into thinking we should emulate.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is I am fat and I still can kick punch and do alot of Self Defense. I do not run but I ride the bike. So say it proud we are fat and loving it. But trying to loose wieght for the health issue's.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
A local TKD school owner recently did a presentation/demo at my 12 year-old daughter's middle school. My daughter later commented to me that it was pretty cool, but that even though the man demonstrating was a highly ranked black-belt and a lot younger than I am, he had a big gut and looked way out of shape compared to me. I told her that there was way more to MAs than meets the eye, and that my own teacher is short and fat, and yet he is a master in our system. Moreover, he could kick my behind and not even break a sweat. In fact, some of my fitness training, which includes weights, is not very helpful in my style of Wing Tsun. Nevertheless, since I've started teaching a bit of Escrima again, I've noticed that my younger students are very influenced by appearances. Being old and still looking strong seems to make at least as much of an impression as the technical skills that I think are much more important. How much emphasis do you think fitness should get...especially for instructors. How important is it "to look the part" as well as know your stuff?

SGM Ed Parker believed in coupling excercise with martial arts.

One of my pet peeves is "grand masters" that can't touch their toes because of their bellies.

If you practice regularly, unless there is some medical reason, there should be no reason for you to not be fit.

Granted, appearances do not necessarily denote ones fitness level, but it does affect the way one is percieved.

In most cases, perception is reality, so I think if you want to impress upon others that your art form is legit...you have to look the part to some degree.

I assign certain days to work out focusing on just cardio and strength training, other days are just for martial arts practice. Both are "excercise" but one is intended to keep me sharp, the other to let others know when they see me that I am sharp. :)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
People will go through a lot of mental gymanstics to justify ignoring physical conditioning. Beyond the health benefits, the "mental toughness" aspect of pushing yourself through pain and fatiuge has direct combative applications.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd have to disagree with you on this. I know people that looked ripped all the time and not just for short periods of time. They work out 3 hrs a day and watch what they eat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First the only Sifu I have ever had that was even close to "ripped" was my Wing Chun Sifu. My taiji sifu is in his 70s not to tall and pretty shinny but IMO he is an incredible Martial artist and one of the best Taiji sifus I have ever known. My Sanda sifu is about 6 foot and looks healthy. And I personally would not want to mess with any of them.

But here is the thing, I have seen a plethora of Taiji instructors that were thin and looked like they were in pretty good shape but know nothing about taiji. And I got to tell you if Yang Chengfu were alive today it is likely I would be training with Yang Chengfu over any of the much thinner "ripped" instructors out there. There are also were some pretty over weight Bagua guys I would train with if they were still around too.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First the only Sifu I have ever had that was even close to "ripped" was my Wing Chun Sifu...

Interesting, because most Wing Chun/Wing Tsun sifus eschew weight lifting and the typical top-heavy image of strength in Western culture. A notable exception would be Emin Boztepe who must be approaching 50, has a bit of grey hair coming in, and is still totally ripped. And, a hell of a WT fighter. But he claims to keep his physique through really hard training, not lifting. Most of the other WC/WT instructors I've worked with are much softer looking, and if they are really good, they have a more tai chi-like sort of power. Lately, I've achieved a bit of buffness of which I'm proud (at age 53) but it's not helping my Wing Tsun...just my vanity. And, I'm sore almost all the time, so I'm in the process of re-thinking this whole thing. I'm gonna have to find a smarter way to go.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think people do mental gymnastics to give themselves excuses... But the fact of the matter is that fat in the belly, especially for guys means a fat omentum... BAD juju for your health. I've known plenty of big guys that are great fighters. But they do have bad health. Do us a favor and get in shape so we can learn from you over a longer period of time.

:)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting point, Luiza and one with more than a grain of truth in I would say, However, could you elaborate why a fat omentum is particuarly bad? Maybe I'm mis-remembering my old 'O' level Biology but isn't that particular part of us actually made of fat anyway?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
We should be in as good as shape as we can. In todays society people will look upon us to be in shape, I feel it's our responsibility to be in as good as shape as we can. Notice I didn't say excellent shape, that accounts for injuries, physical problems and the whole ball of wax.

I know alot of people with guts or weight problems that can whoop a lot of butt and I know some with guts that have a hard time doing the simplest techniques but they still teach.

It's all what you want in my view. It's a personal choice.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting, because most Wing Chun/Wing Tsun sifus eschew weight lifting and the typical top-heavy image of strength in Western culture. A notable exception would be Emin Boztepe who must be approaching 50, has a bit of grey hair coming in, and is still totally ripped. And, a hell of a WT fighter. But he claims to keep his physique through really hard training, not lifting. Most of the other WC/WT instructors I've worked with are much softer looking, and if they are really good, they have a more tai chi-like sort of power. Lately, I've achieved a bit of buffness of which I'm proud (at age 53) but it's not helping my Wing Tsun...just my vanity. And, I'm sore almost all the time, so I'm in the process of re-thinking this whole thing. I'm gonna have to find a smarter way to go.

As I said

the only Sifu I have ever had that was even close to "ripped" was my Wing Chun Sifu

He was not nor is he a weight lifter just has some definition that the others do not. His physique also comes from really hard training in his early Wing Chun days

He is in good shape looking more like an athlete than a body builder and he is incredibly flexible and quite relaxed but he has some power and pushing 50 too.

He is also a disciple of Yip Ching so he is rather good at what he teaches :)

aqaz69

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately looks to influence and motivate people. The instructors may look out of shape b/c they do not compete anymore, and don't need to be in that kind of shape.

That doesn't mean their minds are out of shape, or that they are less qualified to teach martial arts.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions