Being Fit and Looking the Part...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to say something jovially cutting about how it is easy to be judgemental about others physique when you're twenty but I see that the message has been relayed already :D.

It is a sad truism that unless, you are genetically blessed or work-out at the gym all day, age will add portliness as sure as day follows night.

Of course, even if you do have good 'slimcia' genes, you can still run to fat if, like me, you settle down and your missus feeds you like you were seven foot tall :eek:.

Still, complete surender is not an option. As I've said before, if you get so large that your mass begins to overwhelm your strength then you're in trouble. I'm at the start of a gentle rehabilitation of my excercise regime. Nothing strenuous, just an upping of the calorie burning to start shedding a little excess mass.

Last edited:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe an instructor should be ripped by any means but should be able to maintain an acceptable level of fitness. There is absolutely no reason an instructor should be massively overweight for any extended period other than the fact he is lazy and has resigned himself to poor health. I can understand at times of injury and health concerns that one puts on a few kilos but there is no reason that through the martial arts and a little diligence he cannot regain some form of fitness and good health. I personally wouldn't choose to learn off some one who looks like kung fu panda.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im pretty sure by the looks of him, he'd knock most blokes teeth in down the pub Cirdan.

He wouldn`t need to do that, they would all flee in terror once he told them he was required by law to tell them he is a Soke.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks has nothing to do with it. If they are able to successfully defend and attack and perform all their skills and techniques without hindrance then appearance doesn't matter. I would judge their knowledge of theory , application, history of the style first.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As someone who is 38 years old, stands 6' tall and a few years back weighed in at 265 lbs but recently tipped the scales a svelt 180, I feel that I owe it to myself to be in the best shape I can be as a martial artist (and yes, it is a continual battle).

We have several individuals in our dojo who are carrying around significant extra weight... many of them can easily kick my butt. "Looking" physically fit has only a little to do with being able to utilize your martial arts ability... but OTOH, I can only imagine how much better some of these already impressive martial artists would be if they were in better shape and lighter on their feet.

Looking the part certainly helps with first impressions of prospective new students; few people are overly impressed by an instructor who looks out of shape. As many have mentioned, these folks may be missing some fantastic instruction from great teachers.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
.Looking the part certainly helps with first impressions of prospective new students; few people are overly impressed by an instructor who looks out of shape. As many have mentioned, these folks may be missing some fantastic instruction from great teachers.

I also lost a lot of weight in the last couple of years and fitness is important to how I feel about myself. But, as I said when I started this thread, I don't necessarily apply that standard to my instructors. I'm far more concerned about what they know and can teach me.

Interestingly, my association has split into several organizations in the last decade. One branch is lead by a tall, incredibly buff fighter. I ended up following the branch lead by the short, chubby guy. Both can kick my backside in sparring, but the short chubby guy does it with pure technique. Now that's awesome!

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of the first things I learned in the dojo is that there is more than meets the eye. A person that looks old, weak or slow can still be perfectly able to kick your butt. I do believe instructors should keep in shape, but there is also a difference betwen a powerful build and being fat.

If your gut looks like this you might be fat...
http://www.goldendragondojo.com/files/Pepsi/Uncle_Soke___Hayden_In_Front_of_Pepsi_Sign.jpg

That is definitely overweight. Reminds me of Tank Abbott, which I do not consider to be a good martial artists.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, it is unreasonable to expect a 50 or 60 year old person to have the same physique or physical prowess as a 20 year old. However, I also expect a certain level of age appropriate fitness in martial arts instructors. (Illness or injury is a different issue)

I know it isn't easy, especially as you age. I'm in my 50s, and I have to work hard to maintain my fitness and to keep my weight down--but I do it. I train hard and I watch what I eat. So does my sensei and the other older martial artists at our dojo.

It's not a matter of impressing anyone with your hot body. It's a matter of modeling your personal commitment to health and fitness--showing that you actually believe in the value of good health, rather than paying lip service. When you tell your students that they should develop self-discipline, shouldn't you demonstrate it yourself? Are they really going to believe that your dojo is a good place to develop self-discipline, when after 30 years, sensei never managed to achieve it? Kids can smell a hypocrite a mile away.

Yes, I've learned some great technique from overweight instructors, just as I've known some smart doctors who were overweight or smoked. But when I'm looking for an instructor, I'm looking for someone who walks the walk.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that last bit is the sticking point in some ways viz what is the 'walk'?

I've learnt some very valuable sword lessons from a man (now sadly deceased) who could not even stand.

Western ideals of physique and fitness have their place but they are not the model from which many of the arts we study descend.

For any art that comes from Japan, to be 'buff' is to be the wrong shape and have the body centre of mass too high - it should be at belly level not shoulder level. A chap with strong hara will deck a chap with big shoulders more often than not as the power comes from the hips, not the shoulders.

This is not to be confused with being unfit or massively overweight of course. I suppose I'm saying, in the end, that we should strive not to be mislead with modern illusions of what shape a 'warrior' should be :D.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have known Teachers who were 65 5'1 no muscles who had great movement and inner power.

I know Teachers who are over weight but have great movement and power.

I have known Teacher's who were solid built had great external power but technique was terrible.

I think what ever your handicap or weight or body if you can move it, if you have good technique than that is all that matters.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it important to look fit? I think it is more important to BE fit.

As far as looking the part of an instructor, I am a blonde/greying Caucasian male. I am about as far from the typical Asian martial art instructor as one can be. But, I think I've learned quite a bit during my 33yrs of study and my students don't feel the need to go the the Asian instructor down the street (who by the way is about 5 yrs younger and has what a friend of mine called "shihan gut").

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, if I wanna be fit and look the part... I'll buy one of these... :uhyeah:

Attachments

• $muscleshirt.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 179

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
The way we've always done things in my dojo is that the instructor will never ask for his students to do anything he can't. So if he asks for 50 burpees, then he's able to do them himself. Fortunately I have an instructor who always proves it first and lets everyone follow example.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've known plenty of instructors who were in great shape and looked it - and I've known plenty who weren't. Some were suffering a long-term illness; some a long-term injury (our GM has very bad osteoarthritis in both knees that severely limits his movements); some don't work out enough or eat too much - instructors are people - however, the ones I know who look out of shape are (within the limitations of illness or injury) still extremely capable, even if they don't look it.

How you feel an instructor should look may vary depending on your goals. If you want to be a world competitor, you may feel that your instructor needs to be able to help you reach that goal by example - but there are also plenty of students I know who are on the plump side themselves, who are scared off by someone with a perfect physique, because it seems so unattainable to them... and they are therefore more comfortable with a less buff instructor.

Should you stay in shape for yourself? Yes, as best you can. Should you stay in shape because of what others might think of you? That's their problem, not yours; only you can decide if it's important to you.

Very well said Kacey.

I think if your tkd instructor is fat then their could be a problem,but not always. If your mma coach is fat and always gets winded 2 minutes into the workout then there is a problem,lol!

As far as self defense is concerned it's most likely not going to be a marathon event. Your best bet is to end the entire thing in as short as tie as possible.

Maybe they use it for protection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6PF1JmNI8&feature=related

Last edited:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A few years ago as a newbie to the MAs I too had some misconceptions about what warriors should look like -- ideals spawned by Hollywood, for the most part.

I assumed that being overweight meant compromised power. Taking a few punches from some chubby fellow students blew that out of the water.

I assumed that the more ripped students would punch better because of their obvious arm, chest, and shoulder muscles. In fact, it doesn't seem to make a difference so much as how they move their hips and use their center body mass. There is one ripped student in our dojo that consistently punches weakly. So much for that notion.

I assumed that lighter students would be faster and last longer. Once again, that doesn't seem to matter so much as internal cardiovascular health, which can be there in an overweight person and absent in a thin person. Another assumption put to rest.

In all, martial arts has corrected a lot of my preconceived notions about weight and health. Some of the best students where I train are overweight and a few even in their 50s. Most of my Krav Maga instructors are younger and thinner, but there is one exception to that rule. Internal fitness is very much emphasized, not thinness per se. We all work out very hard and train aggressively. In the end, nobody thinks less of anybody for a few extra pounds.

So, I conclude that prospective students who might be impressed by the MA instructors who look "buff" are most likely naiive and ignorant about MAs in general, as I was at first. Over time and with training that is corrected. If a school teaches good technique but has lower initial enrollment because the naiive newbies aren't attracted by its looks, well, that might be a self selecting process that ends up attracting the students with more committment in the long term. Who needs the flakes? They never last anyway.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Injuries and Health issue are two different things. Why does everybody believe you must be thin to teach martial arts or can't have a gut. This I just do not understand, maybe some of you can explain it to me? On the other hand being in shape does not mean being thin it means being in shape. Wrestler are big and they are in shape, footbal players are huge but are in shape, Sumo are even bigger but are in shape. having a gut is just having a gut. Sorry I have seen some pretty heafty big people in Martial Arts that can wipe the floor with most people.

OK- So lets take out the shape and size of the body. To be considered "in shape", one must have at least a reasonable degree of the following 5 componets of physical fitness. 1. Cardio Respiratory Endurance- the ability for the heart and the lungs to supply oxegen rich blood to the body. 2. Muscular strength-the ability for the working muscles to apply force against resistance. 3. Muscular endurance- the ability of the working muscles to continue an activity for an extended period of time. (with componet 1. this will improve as well.) 4. flexibility-the range of motion between a set of joints. 5. body composition- The ratio of lean muscle opposed to adipose tissue.
So, having said that...I guess it boils down to; Is the instructor able to demonstrate the technique. Not only that, is he able to explain it so the students can grasp it. We are all endowed with a certain level of potential and talent. I beleive we can, if we watch our diet, control our body composition. I remember a TV show called Martial Law with Sammy Ohung (I beleive that his name) Any way, in one episode someones looks at him and says, You look out of shape (he's portly) later on in the epidode... its time to kick some butt...The character who said he looks out of shape earlier had a suprised look. Sammy said, "not out of shape... just fat." I beleive Sammy is a real martial artist. With all respect!

Live Long and Prosper

Last edited:

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Sensei is 61. He has a bit of a pot belly. He can still beat the living tar outta you and roundhouse to a persons head. He looks like a mild mannered Senior Citizen but watch out. 40 years of Karate is underneath!

Latest Discussions