Beginner, please give tips and advice

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah sure but that's one class. There's a difference between feeling good after one class and doing it week in week out
Yeah it is called discipline.
I know for me I couldn't currently handle 6 days a week of that sort of training. It really depends on the person. Discipline is great, but I know plenty of people who have burned themselves out with that level of training and little recovery. Of course it depends how hard they go in the kickboxing classes. Although my days of late have been 3 days karate and 3 days weight training, but it was a nice mix :D. Now I've scaled it down due to it being too much actually!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know for me I couldn't currently handle 6 days a week of that sort of training. It really depends on the person. Discipline is great, but I know plenty of people who have burned themselves out with that level of training and little recovery. Of course it depends how hard they go in the kickboxing classes. Although my days of late have been 3 days karate and 3 days weight training, but it was a nice mix :D. Now I've scaled it down due to it being too much actually!
Exactly discipline is one thing real life is another. Hey if I was out of work I'd happily train every day and have done so when I have been unemployed but you simply can't train as much when your working. Sometimes you work late and can't get to training sometimes you're far to tired. That's life there's not much more to it than that

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
would you guys recommend caffeine pills?

No

why you want to take them? I maybe wrong but in some circles if you get tested then, you might get booted out!!!

Do you feel you are lacking something ? if so look to your nutrition as opposed to a pill. Oh and please please please do not get lured into the world of if you take this stuff it will make you bigger and stronger. That young man will just screw you up big time (and I ain't talking bout caffine pills ok.) Don't get on that slippery slope, just don't

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No

why you want to take them? I maybe wrong but in some circles if you get tested then, you might get booted out!!!

Do you feel you are lacking something ? if so look to your nutrition as opposed to a pill. Oh and please please please do not get lured into the world of if you take this stuff it will make you bigger and stronger. That young man will just screw you up big time (and I ain't talking bout caffine pills ok.) Don't get on that slippery slope, just don't
i just heard they can boost performance

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely not.

It can cause anxiety, tremors, insomnia and irritability, the withdrawal symptoms can be bad. It can also give you high blood pressure and lead to heart disease.
If you can't do it without stimulants and supplements then you aren't working hard enough.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah I don't recommend them, what the other guys said. I mean, I'm big on coffee, but made sure to not become dependent on it and drink it out of enjoyment. Caffeine pills can have side effects if overdone and relied upon.

I'd suggest creatine monohydrate as a supplement to take, probably one of the most widely studied, with just an insane amount of benefits. Great for energy production and performance, muscle mass accretion, not addictive etc.

But in general I'm more of a fan of optimising your diet, and getting plenty of water in.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok i am not getting caffeine pills :D
Nah I don't recommend them, what the other guys said. I mean, I'm big on coffee, but made sure to not become dependent on it and drink it out of enjoyment. Caffeine pills can have side effects if overdone and relied upon.

I'd suggest creatine monohydrate as a supplement to take, probably one of the most widely studied, with just an insane amount of benefits. Great for energy production and performance, muscle mass accretion, not addictive etc.

But in general I'm more of a fan of optimising your diet, and getting plenty of water in.
i could give creatine a try, i eat healthy foods only but I keep losing weight for some reason, i don't feel like forcing myself to eat more
when i started this thread i was at 164 pounds
now I am at 153 pounds

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

It can cause anxiety, tremors, insomnia and irritability, the withdrawal symptoms can be bad. It can also give you high blood pressure and lead to heart disease.
If you can't do it without stimulants and supplements then you aren't working hard enough.
Or you’re overdoing it and not getting enough rest and recovery time.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
i eat healthy foods only but I keep losing weight for some reason, i don't feel like forcing myself to eat more
now I am at 153 pounds

That's pretty much to be expected.

You weren't exactly chubby in your first video, but there would've been an amount of fat laid down.

Now you've started more exercise (running, bagwork, training) you'll be burning some of that fat off.

You'll be growing some more muscle mass too, but fat burns quicker than muscle grows - so a dip in weight soon after starting a new (harder) cardio regime is to be expected.

As I've stated a few times, don't worry about weight - feel and tone is more important (unless you're aiming for a weight class, but that's a different conversation).

As your muscle catches up with what you're doing you'll gain weight - but you might go over where you started, which wouldn't be the time to cut...

If you're not feeling excessively tired or looking gaunt, and you find each run/session that bit easier than last week, then you're on the right track imo.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i could give creatine a try, i eat healthy foods only but I keep losing weight for some reason, i don't feel like forcing myself to eat more
now I am at 153 pounds
Proper nutrition, hydration, and rest and recovery are just as important as any of the physical training. Losing weight when you start isn’t unheard of. If you keep losing it and aren’t gaining any muscle and/or strength, then it could become an issue. I wouldn’t worry about it too much at this point.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

now I am at 153 pounds
Yeah I'd focus on quality food, plenty of water and good quality rest and sleep. Creatine/supplements maybe down the track. And I'm naturally skinny and lose weight very easily so have to eat quite a bit to maintain and gain muscle, but am used to eating alot now hehe

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly discipline is one thing real life is another. Hey if I was out of work I'd happily train every day and have done so when I have been unemployed but you simply can't train as much when your working. Sometimes you work late and can't get to training sometimes you're far to tired. That's life there's not much more to it than that
Then add family obligations on top of that, and you get what I’ve got - struggling to make it to the dojo twice a week. I’ve got my two nights into a pretty good routine, but stuff comes up every now and then.

Balance, Daniel-san.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
43657218_1108798095962674_2176182473442983936_n.jpg

lots of kicking with Johnny today :D

Latest Discussions