Beginner, please give tips and advice

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never let a win go to your head. Never let a loss go to your heart.

Fix your brain. Loosing isn't the issue the emotional response is. Because it clouds you ability to focus. Wastes energy and wastes the energy of people trying to prop you up.

Being positive and upbeat in adversity is a discipline issue. Which will fix under enough adversity. Provided you are mindful of it.

Dude broke his leg in a kickboxing fight and recovered physically and mentally.

And look you won't get it in one day. It is a developmental process. But the sooner you start working on it. The better a martial artist you will be.
Well said mate

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didn't get to spar this week but I learned a lot of useful stuff about boxing
Coach talks to me a lot more now and he taught me a lot of new useful things and we'll be getting my medical card done soon (he asked me about it today)
I also feel better mentally now, things are looking good guys ;)
Also I'll probably record a new bag video this week

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Update:
so I actually got to spar
i sparred about 5 rounds and I'm very satisfied with how I did today
one of the guys i sparred with said im getting a lot stronger and that I did great, some good motivation lol
however when i get hit i get really angry, i should try to control my emotions more when im in the ring..

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update:
so I actually got to spar
i sparred about 5 rounds and I'm very satisfied with how I did today
one of the guys i sparred with said im getting a lot stronger and that I did great, some good motivation lol
however when i get hit i get really angry, i should try to control my emotions more when im in the ring..
As you get hit more that'll get better. It's where the humility aspect of it comes from.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I just hate getting hurt tbh
Is it the fear of pain that is getting in the way of things. Exposure to it is necessary. To learn it is not a great or hard as you originally thought. You can train the mind to accept and process fear and deal with it in a rational and effective way. You can also train the body to accept the inputs that create fear, thus reducing it's magnitude. In other words, repeat exposing yourself to the fear, sparring for example, so that your body and mind can learn to adjust to it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started watching, realized you've improved a lot, then decided to go back to provide criticism. Below is basically stream of thought issues I would focus on. There was a lot of good things: Your jab was tight, your uppercuts at the end had power in them, for the distance you were throwing, and you did a good job at knowing when to plant your feet. But the stream of consciousness below was primarily for looking for critiques.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts as I'm watching:

There are random spots where it looked like you remembered to keep your feet light, and others where you forgot. Also, you focus a lot on speed going from jab-cross-jab-cross, but the crosses during that seems to lack power. You use your rearhand as a jab sometimes. At one point, your shoulder is looking like it wants to be a hook, but your arm, from this angle looks like your arms throwing a cross. Is your elbow locking in when you twist? If so that's going to deal some damage to you later on. Where are your hooks and uppercuts? Oh, there's some uppercuts, carry on.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started watching, realized you've improved a lot, then decided to go back to provide criticism. Below is basically stream of thought issues I would focus on. There was a lot of good things: Your jab was tight, your uppercuts at the end had power in them, for the distance you were throwing, and you did a good job at knowing when to plant your feet. But the stream of consciousness below was primarily for looking for critiques.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts as I'm watching:

There are random spots where it looked like you remembered to keep your feet light, and others where you forgot. Also, you focus a lot on speed going from jab-cross-jab-cross, but the crosses during that seems to lack power. You use your rearhand as a jab sometimes. At one point, your shoulder is looking like it wants to be a hook, but your arm, from this angle looks like your arms throwing a cross. Is your elbow locking in when you twist? If so that's going to deal some damage to you later on. Where are your hooks and uppercuts? Oh, there's some uppercuts, carry on.
my elbows don't lock when I punch
i don't think my crosses lack power tbh

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
my elbows don't lock when I punch
i don't think my crosses lack power tbh
Yeah, the elbows i wasnt sure about, tough to tell from the angle. Ill have to watch it again to see where my mind was at with the cross, but i remember distinctly thinking you could get more power into it.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the elbows i wasnt sure about, tough to tell from the angle. Ill have to watch it again to see where my mind was at with the cross, but i remember distinctly thinking you could get more power into it.
i'm still learning but i think that my right cross is my most powerful punch atm

Latest Discussions