Beginner, please give tips and advice

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok i will learn but i will also try to be better than the guy i'm just that type of person u know
Honestly, I think everyone does that to a point. It's tough to spar without trying to 'win'. My solution is to change what the win conditions are, or to view it as just something for fun.

For instance, my win conditions for a sparring match may simply be getting a specific hook-hook combo, or be able to throw a kick and follow it up before they react. Or prevent low-round kicks from messing up my flow. If I need a 'win' to strive for.

There are also people, where I know we're pretty much equal in ability, or there's a significant difference, and with them I just try to have fun with it. Taking away the idea of 'will I win' (which you can do in sparring but not a fight), changes the game in a way I can't really describe until you experience it yourself.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well then that's a very dangerous attitude. Sparring isn't about winning or losing its about learning and getting better. If you're just trying to win you'll be playing it safe and using basics because you'll scared of losing instead of trying new things which may not work but better to try them there than in a real fight. Honestly if you're sparring with someone who has experience you probably will "lose" but so what? What do you actually lose? Nothing but what you gain is knowledge and experience that's what sparring is for
Primarily sparring is for sharpening timing and distance, but overall you should be focussing on all the technical things you have learned(how to not get hit) rather than landing more hits on the other guy.

The most important thing is to not break your sparring partner!
obviously i won't think of sparing as an actual fight
im just very competitive u know

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
obviously i won't think of sparing as an actual fight
im just very competitive u know
Think of it this way;

If you're competitive, you will want to be the best you possibly can.

To be the best you can, you need to best utilize the tools at your disposal.

To best utilize sparring, which is one of your most useful and powerful training tools, you will need a correct and technical mindset.

Sometimes you want to let him hit you. Sometimes you'll want to shell up. Sometimes you'll want to drop your hands and work on only head movement. Sometimes you'll focus on where you're feet are, and how to get certain angles, how best to defend from there. Sometimes you'll just be reading the other guy for tells.

If your goal is always just to hit the other guy, you lose out on all that, and a lot more too.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Think of it this way;

If you're competitive, you will want to be the best you possibly can.

To be the best you can, you need to best utilize the tools at your disposal.

To best utilize sparring, which is one of your most useful and powerful training tools, you will need a correct and technical mindset.

Sometimes you want to let him hit you. Sometimes you'll want to shell up. Sometimes you'll want to drop your hands and work on only head movement. Sometimes you'll focus on where you're feet are, and how to get certain angles, how best to defend from there. Sometimes you'll just be reading the other guy for tells.

If your goal is always just to hit the other guy, you lose out on all that, and a lot more too.
i don't want to just hit the guy, i want to learn but i just don't wanna look bad during the sparring u know
im very competitive but i always listen to the coach and i learn new things every week

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't want to just hit the guy, i want to learn but i just don't wanna look bad during the sparring u know
im very competitive but i always listen to the coach and i learn new things every week
Ya, I get it, and that's good. If you have no drive to win, how can you be a winner right?

Really though, don't worry about getting schooled the first few times if it goes that way. You should be hoping you do, really. If you are able to keep up to his experienced guys that doesn't bode well for the quality of training you are receiving.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but you will look bad I guarantee it. Everyone looks bad the first time they spar it's just how it goes. Sparring is completely different to hitting pads you will look bad but so has pretty much everyone. No one will care if you do good or not. No one leaves training then says the next day hey remember you got your butt kicked a few days ago. That may happen in movies but not real life whether you do well or not no one will be bothered it's training that's all.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok i will learn but i will also try to be better than the guy i'm just that type of person u know

Always spar to WIN (unless it's vs. a child or something). Just as long as you abide by the rules....ie. maintain the agreed upon power level.

If you're winning easily, then start taking big *** risks, trying out Matrix moves and such to see if you can get away with them w/o getting hit......because you don't want to keep hitting the guy who's getting dominated too many times (even at light power level) as he may quit the gym = less training partners.

Sparring should always be a competition. There are always pecking orders of every gym (even the wimpy ones), despite what people try to tell you. Pretty much everyone keeps score. They know who can beat them and who they can beat and how many times it's happened (unless it's domination, and they lost count)...especially in BJJ.

Dudes in that gym have already sized you up and thinking in their head whether or not they're able to beat you. This is how **** always work and I don't care how many cute posters you see being put up of: "Leave all Egos at the Door".

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always spar to WIN (unless it's vs. a child or something). Just as long as you abide by the rules....ie. maintain the agreed upon power level.

If you're winning easily, then start taking big *** risks, trying out Matrix moves and such to see if you can get away with them w/o getting hit......because you don't want to keep hitting the guy who's getting dominated too many times (even at light power level) as he may quit the gym = less training partners.

Sparring should always be a competition. There are always pecking orders of every gym (even the wimpy ones), despite what people try to tell you. Pretty much everyone keeps score. They know who can beat them and who they can beat and how many times it's happened (unless it's domination, and they lost count)...especially in BJJ.

Dudes in that gym have already sized you up and thinking in their head whether or not they're able to beat you. This is how **** always work and I don't care how many cute posters you see being put up of: "Leave all Egos at the Door".
This is not true at all in my experience. Any of it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thanks a lot dude
I used a left hook at 0:33 and 1:10 in the vid :D

Nah, not really. I meant more in a classic left hook way. Have someone teach you a good left hook from boxing if you can.

This kind of stuff.. I think it would fit well with the way you are punching lately.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No..I believe you believe that. We refer to people like that as 'meatheads', and we have a process to weed them out.

Haha, no need to be mean. Some of us meatheads can back it up though, so that would prob. be your main problem.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha, no need to be mean. Some of us meatheads can back it up though, so that would prob. be your main problem.
I didn't mean to insinuate you're a meathead. Honestly though it's rare that the sort of guy that tries to win training gets very technical. Mindset is everything.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nah, not really. I meant more in a classic left hook way. Have someone teach you a good left hook from boxing if you can.

This kind of stuff.. I think it would fit well with the way you are punching lately.

thanks for the vids i'll make sure to watch them all
tomorrow i'll ask my coach to teach me how to throw a good left hook

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
some boxing and some bad kicks lmao

1:33 IMO, if you're going to throw right hooks, you should be much closer or squared up to the bag.....Mike Tyson does this with his right hook to the body then head...and real close. Otherwise you're training yourself to throw it from way out, which is very easy to see and you'll get caught first....as you'll be wide open; and it's almost like a trashy haymaker. Haymakers do work, but should be sparingly thrown.

At the distance at 1:33, you should be throwing an overhand right instead....because you will drop your head down a level to avoid a counter coming in.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1:33 IMO, if you're going to throw right hooks, you should be much closer or squared up to the bag.....Mike Tyson does this with his right hook to the body then head...and real close. Otherwise you're training yourself to throw it from way out, which is very easy to see and you'll get caught first....as you'll be wide open; and it's almost like a trashy haymaker. Haymakers do work, but should be sparingly thrown.

At the distance at 1:33, you should be throwing an overhand right instead....because you will drop your head down a level to avoid a counter coming in.
I'll keep this in mind, thanks dude

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't mean to insinuate you're a meathead. Honestly though it's rare that the sort of guy that tries to win training gets very technical. Mindset is everything.

If it's standup striking at light power, then I'm hitting fast, moving a lot, trying to land more and not get hit. This is a competition and it's very technical. I'm not trying to hurt someone physically, maybe just their pride.

In BJJ, then it would really suck to get tapped out by a lower belt. I don't know of any one who'd say otherwise and really mean it....unless they've been out for a year or have injuries, etc. It is def. a competition in BJJ where you usually go at 80-100% power & intensity with there being a clear victory every time there's a tap.

Latest Discussions