BBQ in Denver?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
okay, loving my relocation from KC to denver so far. but is there a single decent barbecue joint in this state? i've only been to a few, but i'm a bit tired of throwing my money away to see if it's any good. i stopped by a BBQ place in evergreen after some hiking, & they didn't even sell ribs. at a barbecue joint. i mean, they had a sign up that said "barbecue" & all, then looked me right in the eye & said they didn't sell ribs. i was at another place that was actually called "ribs & wings". that's what i ordered, & it was the worst ribs i'd ever had, & the wings weren't much better.

so do any natives, transplants, or travellers have any tips for me? i'm in SE denver, but i'm willing to travel to get my rib fix.

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
have you been there? not all of the reviews on that link are glowing. of course, a boulderite complaining about the brisket being greasy & fatty might be a good thing...

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
have you been there? not all of the reviews on that link are glowing. of course, a boulderite complaining about the brisket being greasy & fatty might be a good thing...

jf

I lived in Golden from 1973 to (about) 2002 (I lived other places and kept moving back 'home' to Golden). So I was there when Daddy Bruce Randolph was alive and giving his free Thanksgiving turkey dinners to homeless (back before that was cool and upscale and liberal and compassionate and all). I ate Daddy Bruce's BBQ in Denver, and I liked it. I can't say how it is in Boulder. However, I worked for six months in Overland Park (I have lived and/or worked everywhere), and I have to admit that KC BBQ is some of the best anywhere. I know Jack Stack isn't considered the best by KC'ers, but I loved it while I was there.

I'd say give it a shot, what could it hurt? And if you haven't spent any time on the Pearl Street mall in the People's Republic of Boulder, that's worth a visit. And "The Sink" if it is still open and you fancy a beer in a real college craphole bar, the "Bus Stop" if you prefer...other tastes.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks man, i will check it out! if you end up near lawrence, ks ('bout 20-30 minutes west of overland park) check out grandaddy's on 19th & haskell. really the best bbq i've had.

jack's stack is pretty good, but i don't trust a bbq joint that uses cloth napkins.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks man, i will check it out! if you end up near lawrence, ks ('bout 20-30 minutes west of overland park) check out grandaddy's on 19th & haskell. really the best bbq i've had.

jack's stack is pretty good, but i don't trust a bbq joint that uses cloth napkins.

jf

By the way, if you go up to the foothills at all, BeuJo's pizza in Idaho Springs is really, really, good. The crust is very thick if you order it that way (and you should) and you eat it last, as desert, with honey dripped on it. Fantastic. It takes 20 minutes to prepare, so don't come expecting to be served instantly.

http://www.beaujos.com/index.html

Their other locations, I'm not crazy about. Just Idaho Springs. It's worth spending some time in Idaho Springs anyway. Nice town, they turned down the chance to become a small stakes gambling town, which ruined Central City and Blackhawk completely.

I don't travel for a living anymore, but if I end up in Kansas again, I'll check out Grandaddy's thanks.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
what, you mean you won't be returning to kansas for family vacations?!?!?!

i have friends i visit up in the mountains & i always drive by a turn off for idaho springs. i'll visit sometime, that pizza sounds amazing.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what, you mean you won't be returning to kansas for family vacations?!?!?!

i have friends i visit up in the mountains & i always drive by a turn off for idaho springs. i'll visit sometime, that pizza sounds amazing.

jf

There is a waterfall alongside I-70 there which is worth a visit sometimes, and next door to it, snug against the side of the mountain, is a hotel built on a natural hot springs. They have hot baths on offer for a few bucks, complete with a massage if you want one (costs extra), hot natural spring water. Frankly, the last time I was there, it was a bit run-down, but clean. Lots of famous people have visited.

http://www.indianhotsprings.com/

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
great! i've been wanting to get to a hot springs, thanks for the tip!

jf

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno, but if you are a coffee drinker in Denver, and want the BEST coffee in Denver, go here:

http://www.boyerscoffee.com/

7295 N. Washington Street in Denver, Colorado

Mmmm. Coffee.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
eh, not a huge coffee guy. it upsets my tummy. i mean guts. thanks though.

any more denver tips?

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eh, not a huge coffee guy. it upsets my tummy. i mean guts. thanks though.

any more denver tips?

jf

If is still there, Paris on the Platte. Coffee/tea/books/poetry/open mike/music and so on.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Papa's on Evans, just west of Monaco. All you can eat bison ribs on Wednesdays (?), and great, great spare ribs and beef ribs. Brisket that I envy. Pulled pork.

And I think it's right around the corner from the Enshin dojo on Monaco, too. :wink:

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
sweet! that's just down the road from me.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Papa's on Evans, just west of Monaco. All you can eat bison ribs on Wednesdays (?), and great, great spare ribs and beef ribs. Brisket that I envy. Pulled pork.

And I think it's right around the corner from the Enshin dojo on Monaco, too. :wink:

Can you even SEE the mountains from Evans and Monaco? I always considered that Kansas. Kind of flat and monotonous, like Saudi Aurora.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you even SEE the mountains from Evans and Monaco? I always considered that Kansas. Kind of flat and monotonous, like Saudi Aurora.

Most days, I reckon you can't even SEE the mountains from anywhere in Denver, with the brown cloud 'n all, but the man asked about good barbecue, and Big Papa's is as good as it gets, in Denver.

Don't know much about Denver, but I know a lot about BBQ, and Papa's is it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most days, I reckon you can't even SEE the mountains from anywhere in Denver, with the brown cloud 'n all, but the man asked about good barbecue, and Big Papa's is as good as it gets, in Denver.

Rock on, dude. But believe me, you can see the mountains from Golden. Mainly because you're in them.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always considered that Kansas.

that's why the good barbecue is there.

seriously though, you get a pretty good view of the foothills & mountains from SE denver, so long as you get a view through the trees.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's why the good barbecue is there.

seriously though, you get a pretty good view of the foothills & mountains from SE denver, so long as you get a view through the trees.

jf

I'm glad they decided to grow some trees there. I kid, but seriously, I stayed as far away from that part of town as I could when I lived there. I tried stay west of Colorado Blvd as much as I could, and when possible, west of Kipling and north of Alameda. It just didn't feel like 'The West' to me out there on the plains.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

i'm told the pollution is much, much better than it used to be, probably thanks in part to the emission regulations put in place a while back. in the two months i've been here, i can only think of one time that i couldn't see the mountains due to something other than clouds.

I'm glad they decided to grow some trees there. I kid, but seriously, I stayed as far away from that part of town as I could when I lived there. I tried stay west of Colorado Blvd as much as I could, and when possible, west of Kipling and north of Alameda. It just didn't feel like 'The West' to me out there on the plains.

really? i think you might be thinking of parker; now that feels like the plains. i live around hampden & I-25, & i have a great view of the mountains heading west on hampden to work every morning. i'm glad too, since that's the reason i'm out here.

i'd like to live in the mountains at some point, but denver is where the jobs are for me for right now.

jf