Balintawak

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by XxSweetFacadexX
this may be a very stupid question... but i'm just curious... Dan Anderson, Rich Parsons, and Renegade all say that they are training with Manong Ted Buot... but Renegade is in Buffalo, Parsons is in Michigan, and Anderson is in Oregon...

now, i know i haven't been in the US in 3 months... but last time i checked, all 3 locations are very far away from each other. buffalo not so far from michigan, but still a long drive...

could someone please explain to me how all 3 of you are training with the same person? or is it that 2 of you aren't training with him anymore?

sorry if this seems like a silly question :confused:

XxSweetFacadexX ,

If I may reply for the others, and I am sure they will reply for themselves if there is a problem.

I train privately (* Manong (GM) Ted Buot only does privates or semi-privates *) 1 hour a week. I practice with at least two of is other students for an hour or so on Wednesay and again for about 2 hours on Sunday. Some of those that I trian with only show up on Sunday or Wednesday. This is my trianing schedule.

Renegade AKA Tim Hartman drives in from Buffalo once a month and does his time. He trains between 3 to 4 hours broken up through the day and then drives home (* Unless there is another event local and then he stays. *)

Dan Anderson, has trained with Manong (GM) Ted Buot and I am not sure of his total hour nor his schedule (* Nor is it my place to keep track ;) *), and, yes he is on he west coast. I do know that many times in the last year or so, when Dan has been on the East Coast or in NY he stops by and does his own events in the Detroit MI and Windsor CA Area(s). He stays and trains with Jaye Spiro another Student of Manong Ted Buot. Jaye is also a student of a form of Japanese Karate. I will not list the name and be wrong. I know Super Dan Anderson does his Karate Seminars as I stated.

I hope this helps, and I am sure the other two will reply and give more information in the areas I did not clarify completly.

:asian:

BTW: With whom do you train? Just curious? Thank You

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
where do you train in southfield?

BB,

I train in Southfield at the private home of my instructor.

You have to be invited, or brought as a friend of someone already training.

Hence, my recomendation, that if you already know David Hatch or Paul Janulis to contact them. I do hope to met both you and Adam and Seigi Soon though :D

X

XxSweetFacadexX

well that makes more sense. thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

i train weekly with with Bob Silver Tabimina (1st generation student Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Timoteo Maranga, Anciong Bacon, and Ciriaco Cañete).

P

progressivetactics

thanks rich. We will meet at some event, soon, i'm sure of it.

Mr. Hatch, seemed like a very nice guy, and I watched some of his stuff. He seemed pretty well informed and capable. I was just un-sure of his connections, current status, etc.....Just double checking.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train w/ Manong Ted Buot.

To add to Rich's answer to xXsweetfacedexX,

People come from all around to train with Manong Ted because he is very good, and it is well worth the travel.

I just feel blessed that he is close by me.

Another note:

Not all Balintawak is the same. I garauntee that if you put two people w/ different instructors in the same room, they will not know the same material!

:D

Paul Janulis

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
but i'm just curious...say that they are training with Manong Ted Buot... but Renegade is in Buffalo, Parsons is in Michigan, and Anderson is in Oregon...

now, i know i haven't been in the US in 3 months... but last time i checked, all 3 locations are very far away from each other. sorry if this seems like a silly question :confused:

Not a silly question at all. I live way in the hell away from Manong Ted so my lessons are further in between than the others. I get to Detroit when I can but I don't travel as much as Renegade nor do I live anywhere as near. I am the baby of the balintawak crew and am likely to stay that way unless I win the lottery. Rich delineated everyone's schedule in an above post. Lucky ducks who get to train with him once a week. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a fair amount of training in the Taboada branch of Balintawak but am not a formal student.

Mike

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been training in Balintawak with Manong Ted Buot for 3 years now (usually 2-3 times a week.)
After starting with him I stopped the other arts I was training in for about a year to fully absorb the intricasies, and to this day only do Balintawak & Muay Thai.

see ya
Rob P.

p.s. Pesilat, please e-mail me privately @ [email protected] - I have question regarding Silat & Bersilat I think you can help me with, thanks.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Norshadow,
unfortunatly Jose Go (affectionatly known as Jo Go), founder of Tat Kun Tao, passed away due to cancer some time ago. See the
www.cebueskrima.s5.com site for more details.

my best to you
Rob

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
now, i know i haven't been in the US in 3 months... but last time i checked, all 3 locations are very far away from each other. buffalo not so far from michigan, but still a long drive...

could someone please explain to me how all 3 of you are training with the same person? or is it that 2 of you aren't training with him anymore?

Here is how the Renegade (Datu Tim Hartman) does it. This month of July is my 3 year anniversary.

My fisrt year I would get up once a month at 5:15am and drive to Detroit and arrive at 10:00 am for my morning class which would last till noon. I would take a 2 hour lunch and do my second class from 2:00 pm till 4:00 pm. Then I would drive back to Buffalo and would arrive home between 10pm - midnight based on how many stops I did.

My second year I would get up once a month at 5:15am and drive to Detroit and arrive at 10:00 am for my morning class which would last till noon. I would take a 2 hour lunch and do my second class from 2:00 pm till 3:00 pm. Then I would drive back to Buffalo and would arrive home between 10pm - midnight based on how many stops I did.

My third year I would get up once a month at 6:00am and drive to Detroit and arrive at 11:00 am for my morning class which would last till 1:00pm. Then I would drive back to Buffalo and would arrive home between 8pm - 11pm based on how many stops I did.

A lot of hassle, but well worth the investment in time.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Toasty
I have been training in Balintawak with Manong Ted Buot for 3 years now (usually 2-3 times a week.)
After starting with him I stopped the other arts I was training in for about a year to fully absorb the intricasies, and to this day only do Balintawak & Muay Thai.

see ya
Rob P.

p.s. Pesilat, please e-mail me privately @ [email protected] - I have question regarding Silat & Bersilat I think you can help me with, thanks.

Rob,

My Apologies, forthe missing of you on the list it was not on purpose. Always feel free to correct me when I make a mistake like that or on any part of the history :)

Thanks

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hiya Rich -
I was just messing around with you - but I couldnt get those crazy smiley faces to input into my message. And seeing how I post here so often ;O) - how could ya miss me...:D ;) :cool: :erg: :lol:

Whoops, I think i figured out how to work those smileys...

Hey Paul, hows it goin?
One of these days when I get slower at work I 'm gonna come down to the gym so we can play around a bit (you do know I work in Rochester Hills?)

Wha's up Tim - damn man, that is one heck of a driving schedule - happy 3 year anniversary in Balintawak (its my 3rd year annv. as well, as of July 1)

see ya
Rob

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Paul, hows it goin?
One of these days when I get slower at work I 'm gonna come down to the gym so we can play around a bit (you do know I work in Rochester Hills?)

You work in Rochester Hills, and you haven't come down to visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:soapbox:

Just kidding. The fact is I closed my class for 2 1/2 months; I also relocated and I am just getting rollin' again. So ya better give me a ring first!

:D

R

Rocky

I started my Balintawak training in Moncol, and Maranga's pre grouped version under Gm Presas in 1981, in 1982 Remy introduced me to GM Buot, I trained with him a couple of times a week for the first 5 or 6 years , then once a week for a couple of years. I haven't trainined with him for about 2 years now, I primarilly teach Cuentada De mano now which is my own version of the Balintawak methods, along with Karate, Catch as Catch Can and various other arts. It resembles the Grouped versions of Balintawak. I still teach Anciong's original Balintawak, but I only teach it one on one the way Gm Buot does it!!

I teach what I call progressive Modern Arnis as my commercial art, it is more self defense related, I make know claims to make you an Eskrimador when I teach Progressive Modern Arnis. I leave that to Cuentada De mano.

Rocky

Latest Discussions