Balintawak

R

Rocky

Actually Paul, if you want to see some of it give me a call. I am currently out of commisson, I have a date with an ortopedic surgean, my left wrist has been broke a couple of times, but only set once, now I am paying for it. I also have a couple of blood clots that have to be removed from my eyes, to many black eyes. If you play hard it will come back at you.

Rocky

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
Actually Paul, if you want to see some of it give me a call. I am currently out of commisson, I have a date with an ortopedic surgean, my left wrist has been broke a couple of times, but only set once, now I am paying for it. I also have a couple of blood clots that have to be removed from my eyes, to many black eyes. If you play hard it will come back at you.

Rocky

Rocky,

I am sorry to hear about your wrist and eyes.

I hope it all works out for you.

Respectfully
:asian:

R

Rocky

Sorry Paul I meant to type orthoscopic (sp) not orthopedic my bad!!

Realy I is edgumicated!!!

Rocky

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by XxSweetFacadexX
did our lil talk get you curious as who else trains in Balintawak? :) i'm curious too...

i do... training with Bob Silver Tabimina (1st generation student Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Timoteo Maranga, Anciong Bacon, and Ciriaco Cañete).

XxSweetFacadexX,

Do you have a shorter name I may call you by? Please Call me Rich.

I am not questioning this in a bad way. I am asking this question ot gain knowledge, and hope you may be able to share it with us.

Mr Tabimina trained with all those you listed.

With whom did he start? With whom did he train with next and is there a reason why?

I know that Villasin, Velez, Maranga were all students under Anciong Bacon.

I always thought Ciriaco Canete was Doces Pares, it is hard not to know about either of the two arts if you live in or near Cebu. Did Tabimina train with Canete before or after his training with Bacon?

I like to know these types of stories. It you do not wish to psot them here or your instructor does not wish for them to be here either I understand. I would kindly ask for their e-mail address so I may converse with them in private.

I trained with GM Remy Presas of Modern Arnis. He trained with is Grandfather and also with Moncol and then Maranga and then as well with Bacon. I also currently Train as I stated with Manong Ted Buot who trained and taught with Anciong Bacon in Cebu.

Thank you for your time and effort.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
I always thought Ciriaco Canete was Doces Pares, it is hard not to know about either of the two arts if you live in or near Cebu. Did Tabimina train with Canete before or after his training with Bacon?

The Canetes are Doce Pares. But Bacon and the Canete brothers all trained under Saavedra in the pre-Doce Pares days. There are similarities between the DP and the Balintawak, but there are differences, too.

I'd assume that what is meant is that Tabimina trained with all of those people but considers himself a Balintawak man because that's where the bulk of his training is from.

Am I on the right track, XxSFxX (how's that for a shortened version, Rich ;) )?

X

XxSweetFacadexX

nice shortening of my name! i like.

actually pesilat, that is quite accurate. from what i'm told... his father wanted to make sure he could defend himself... so his father looked and looked and found bacon and canete. but the bulk of his training is balintawak.

i could ask him for more details at my next lesson on sunday.. he just came back from mindinao...

X

XxSweetFacadexX

oh rich! what result did u get at my "get fuzzy" quiz?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nice shortening of my name! i like.

actually pesilat, that is quite accurate. from what i'm told... his father wanted to make sure he could defend himself... so his father looked and looked and found bacon and canete. but the bulk of his training is balintawak.

i could ask him for more details at my next lesson on sunday.. he just came back from mindinao...

XxSFxX,

Please ask. I already know of the Saavedra Connection between the two arts and styles. Thank You Mike for the information.

As to the Get Fuzzy Quiz, do not laugh to hard, or I wil send my ninja Cat Tiana After You :mad: . I was the Weasel from Next Door. :D

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
XxSFxX,

Please ask. I already know of the Saavedra Connection between the two arts and styles. Thank You Mike for the information.

As to the Get Fuzzy Quiz, do not laugh to hard, or I wil send my ninja Cat Tiana After You :mad: . I was the Weasel from Next Door. :D

OK ... what the heck is this "Get Fuzzy Quiz"?

Mike

X

XxSweetFacadexX

get fuzzy quiz... it's based on the comic "Get Fuzzy" which i love but haven't read since i've been in the philippines... i made the quiz and put it on my website. for now, it's my only comical quiz.

if you wanna take it... go to:
www.intangiblereverie.com

rich... now that's an interesting result... not many people get the weasal. :D

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
get fuzzy quiz... it's based on the comic "Get Fuzzy" which i love but haven't read since i've been in the philippines... i made the quiz and put it on my website. for now, it's my only comical quiz.

if you wanna take it... go to:
www.intangiblereverie.com

rich... now that's an interesting result... not many people get the weasal. :D

SF,

What did you get ?

So, what does the Weasel mean since you set up the quiz? :D

Does anyone else have information on their Balintwak heritage. Like I said I want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

X

XxSweetFacadexX

balintawak started in cebu as a fighting/self-defense form... most say that it's named after a street in cebu... that's about all i know about it.

i know there's a book out there completely explains balintawak...

::makes note to find the book again:::lookie:

as for the weasel in the quiz.. i thought he was a ferret? he's the calculating arch enemy who's always one step head... and seems to want to either rule the world or just make bucky's life hell. :D

what does he mean? The Ferret. that pet that's next door. clever and quick in your ways as you always get someone else to take the blame. i like. something tells me, tho, that you're even scarier than Bucky.

when i first took the quiz myself, i got Bucky... now i keep getting Joe the best friend.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
balintawak started in cebu as a fighting/self-defense form... most say that it's named after a street in cebu... that's about all i know about it.

Yup. "Balintawak" either means "cry of freedom" or it was a battle cry used by freedom fighters (never was real clear on which was the case). After splitting from Saavedra's group (not sure what prompted the split), GM Bacon started teaching in the yard behind a watch shop owned by a friend of his. The watch shop was on "Balintawak Street" and Bacon thought it a fitting name.

Mike

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

i know there's a book out there completely explains balintawak...

::makes note to find the book again:::lookie:

. . .

SF,

I apologize, like I said I have trained with Manong Ted Buot in Balintawak since 1998. Yes, you are correct in the fact that the club was on Balintawak Street. I have some history and information. I like to hear more always. Which is why I asked the questions of you for your instructor.

I did this on for may reasons. I wanted you to feel comfortable and free to post here and to answer questions. As a Moderator it is our responsibility to encourage our members and our new members even more. I also asked the questions because I am honestly interested in hearing what your instructor has to say.

And I am really curious about Balintwak and all of our Family and I like to understand and learn from everyone.

Please extend my respects to your insturctor, as well as to yourself.

Thank You and I am waiting very patiently for you to reply after Sunday.

Originally posted by pesilat

Yup. "Balintawak" either means "cry of freedom" or it was a battle cry used by freedom fighters (never was real clear on which was the case). After splitting from Saavedra's group (not sure what prompted the split), GM Bacon started teaching in the yard behind a watch shop owned by a friend of his. The watch shop was on "Balintawak Street" and Bacon thought it a fitting name.

Mike

Mike,

Balintwak has many meanings. It is a Province, I believe on Luzon. It was a place of great atrocities during the Japanese Invasion during World War II. Just Like Baaton was a place of great pride for the PI Nationals stood their ground against the Japanese.

Now during the war, it was a Freedon Cry and was also used in battle, to represent the great courage and strength of those that had died in that great battle.

After the war, the name of Balintwak was used on many streets, just like most cities, in the USA, have a Martin Luther King street.

The club was in the Back Room of a Watch Repair Shop on Balintwak Street. The Club's Names was "The Self-Defense Club". It became known as "The Self Defense Club on Balintawk Street". As people would talk they would refer to it as "that Club on Balintawak Street". Then some people started saying "oh you do that Balintawak Street Self Defense" Then it became know as "Balintawak". As Many Cultures do, the shorten things for simplicity in dealing with names. This is why I find it difficult to believe that some think that Balintawak as the name of an art was around before WWII. The techniques and moves and timing were all their, as evidence by GM Bacon and the Saavedra's before the War. The Saavedra's taught Stick and Dagger. Anciong Bacon was asked/told no to use his training dagger during his training since he would constantly poke people with it. Some would say the Stick only expression would be Anciong Bacon's personal expresion of the Saavadra's Art. I still think it is good to give credit to the Saavedra's for their contribution to the FMA's. :asian:

As to GM Anciong Bacon leaving the Doces Pares after WWII. He left for personal reasons and simple politics between himself and the Canetes. Both Anciong Bacong and Ted Buot were and are good friends with the Canetes. Any and all "Hard Feelings" were imagined from their students or their students' students.

Like I said before, Good information everyone. I am just looking to meet new people and to also maybe even learn more. Thank you all very much for this conversation.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
. . .
as for the weasel in the quiz.. i thought he was a ferret? he's the calculating arch enemy who's always one step head... and seems to want to either rule the world or just make bucky's life hell. :D

what does he mean? The Ferret. that pet that's next door. clever and quick in your ways as you always get someone else to take the blame. i like. something tells me, tho, that you're even scarier than Bucky.

when i first took the quiz myself, i got Bucky... now i keep getting Joe the best friend.

Fungo the Ferret ;)

Yes he is a Ferret. Weasel is an old Frat (Non GreeK) Term my friends and I used back in our college days, and some how it also fit here. :D

Bucky is cool, yet Joe is the Stable Guy ( Gal in this case ) that is the straight man to launch many of the punch lines off of :D.

I do have another wierd questions. You had a picture of you and a friend, and her leg seemed to be bandaged? Did she get this wound during her training?

X

XxSweetFacadexX

I do have another wierd questions. You had a picture of you and a friend, and her leg seemed to be bandaged? Did she get this wound during her training?

hahaha... that was taken during the first month when i got to college. that was my roomie lisa. it was blazing hot out for the whole week... hitting up to 100 degrees and we have no AC... i chose to go to plattsburgh because it was cold. grr.. so her friend invited us both to go cliff jumping... you jump off a cliff into a lake or some body of water. i was gonna go but her friend noticed i was working on a paper for globalism class... so he said he will not let me come this time cuz he didn't want me to start slacking. so fine. i worked on my paper. lisa came back to the room that nite limping and not being able to sit. see, she didn't land right on the water. she jumped from 25 ft to the water and landed butt first and flat... got a huge bruise that i swear started changing colors in front of my eyes.

the next two weeks whenever lisa wasn't doing something... we all said she was "icing her ***". :rofl:

aye.. college days in the US.

Latest Discussions