Asking To Test

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, what is wrong with that? If you posted something last year and recall that it is relevant to a current post why not reuse your previous argument?
I have no clue what the rub is here. I just hate to see anyone leave the forum for petty reasons.

That's not what we're talking about. What you're talking about is fine.

What we're talking about is taking the entire thread that had died, and posting in it to bring it back. Not copy-pasting from a dead threat something that is relevant to a new thread.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not what we're talking about. What you're talking about is fine.

What we're talking about is taking the entire thread that had died, and posting in it to bring it back. Not copy-pasting from a dead threat something that is relevant to a new thread.
I read through all of these, but I'm also not sure what the issue is. If someone has a new thought that pertains to an old thread, I don't see any issue with posting on it. It happens on this site probably a couple times a month. Also happened on other forums that I've been a part of in the past, and I can't recall it ever causing any huge issues (only exception is when the topic of the thread is no longer relevant due to the passage of time, but that's less likely to happen here).

But either way, all of this is off topic, and we should probably bringing it back to the topic at hand if any of us have anything to input. Reading through I saw a few posts on the actual topic but they seem to be getting lost in the necropost discussion.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you tell me something bothers you, and I do it anyway, that's an aggressive move. You and I had a difference of opinion. That's one thing. That you then did that thing to me, makes it a personal attack.

Whether or not you think it's bad manners is irrelevant at that point. You did it to my post specifically out of spite. That is definitely bad manners. Whether or not you think the act itself was bad form, the fact you know I find it offensive and did it to me anyway, is offensive. It's the equivalent of sticking your tongue out at me because "haha look what I can do."

It was the kind of thing I see in our 4 and 5 year old white belts. It's not the kind of thing I'd expect a seasoned martial artist to do.
Jeezuz man, photonguy contributed to an old post and you took offense to the very fact that he made the post. You claimed it to be bad manners, even called it taboo.

It isn’t. End of story.

Sure, we rub each other, hassle each other from time to time. I posted to another old thread just because you said I’m not supposed to. It’s done in good humor. But I’m trying really hard now to think of something that is less worth arguing over on this forum, than whether or not posting to old threads is taboo or bad manners. I can’t come up with anything.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From time to time, out of boredom, I look through old threads to see if something is worth bringing back up, if maybe I have something to add to it. I think it is interesting to do it. I won’t stop. It ain’t no big deal.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read through all of these, but I'm also not sure what the issue is. If someone has a new thought that pertains to an old thread, I don't see any issue with posting on it. It happens on this site probably a couple times a month. Also happened on other forums that I've been a part of in the past, and I can't recall it ever causing any huge issues (only exception is when the topic of the thread is no longer relevant due to the passage of time, but that's less likely to happen here).

But either way, all of this is off topic, and we should probably bringing it back to the topic at hand if any of us have anything to input. Reading through I saw a few posts on the actual topic but they seem to be getting lost in the necropost discussion.

Because now any newcomers to the discussion have to read through pages and pages of the discussion.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because now any newcomers to the discussion have to read through pages and pages of the discussion.
Is that an issue? Personally I've waited for threads to continue for a bit, then read it all at once. And everyone still has the choice-they don't have to read the discussion if they don't want to, or they can just skip to the last few pages.

With this thread being an exception, as focusing on the last few pages will just result in them reading about thread necro arguments, instead of anything related to the topic of the thread.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that an issue? Personally I've waited for threads to continue for a bit, then read it all at once. And everyone still has the choice-they don't have to read the discussion if they don't want to, or they can just skip to the last few pages.

With this thread being an exception, as focusing on the last few pages will just result in them reading about thread necro arguments, instead of anything related to the topic of the thread.

That's the thing. A lot of threads have side conversations and other things that distract. Most threads I skip to the end and a lot of it is an argument about this, that, or the other.

Or you get people who just respond to the OP and ignore the rest of the conversation, because they don't want to bother catching up on the thread. (That's what happened in the other post that got necro'd).

The general idea, however, is that the discussion is done. If it's sat for three months, there isn't much left to discuss, as the members of that thread didn't add anything to it.

This is all why it should be a new post. Start fresh, let everyone enter the conversation without being behind or skipping ahead.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the thing. A lot of threads have side conversations and other things that distract. Most threads I skip to the end and a lot of it is an argument about this, that, or the other.

Or you get people who just respond to the OP and ignore the rest of the conversation, because they don't want to bother catching up on the thread. (That's what happened in the other post that got necro'd).

The general idea, however, is that the discussion is done. If it's sat for three months, there isn't much left to discuss, as the members of that thread didn't add anything to it.

This is all why it should be a new post. Start fresh, let everyone enter the conversation without being behind or skipping ahead.
Thank you for sharing your opinion on the matter.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because people do it, doesn't mean it's not bad manners. If this truly is the case, I'll probably be done here. I've been on Martial Talk because I considered it the more civilized of the Martial Arts forums. Based on this discussion here, and several others I've had recently, I'm starting to think of this site as being just as toxic as the others I've been avoiding.
C'mon man (or woman, I do not know which applies), that is being pretty small. This is a worldwide forum with many, many different mindsets. There is no reason to be thinned skin. I think it will help if you step back and look at the bigger picture.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The general idea, however, is that the discussion is done. If it's sat for three months, there isn't much left to discuss, as the members of that thread didn't add anything to it. This is all why it should be a new post. Start fresh, let everyone enter the conversation without being behind or skipping ahead.

Skribs, I appreciate your point of view on this. But I don't think anybody here, certainly not Crane nor I, like to have somebody jump in and start lecturing us all on what is and isn't "good manners" and dictating how we should behave. Perhaps that wasn't your original intent, but once you got your back up arguing with Crane, that's exactly how it came across to me.

Could I suggest that instead of accusing people of "bad manners" and breaking a "taboo", you just politely offer your opinion and advice as to how to better handle bringing up old topics, phrasing what you say as just that: namely one forum member's friendly opinion. I can assure you that would get a more positive response. :)

And then I wouldn't find myself in the unhappy position of defending Photon, when I actually agree that this thread would probably better have been left in the graveyard! ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

There is nothing wrong with posting in an old thread. Any user is welcome to post in any thread at any time, so long as the post remains within the restrictions of the TOS.
Please return THIS thread to the original topic.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If it is doable, I suggest the whole thread be deleted. Clean slate. The OP has been totally lost and there seems to be some kind of pissing contest going on now. If the topic is worth reposting hopefully someone will start over.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So getting back to Photon (at last) ...Photon, me lad, after all these years, are ye still havin' troubles talkin' with yer instructor 'bout whether it's time to test? What's this all about, now? Have ye missed another chance to advance in rank? Surely you can tell ol' Geezer! :)

As far as the rest of you guys go ...well, I can't be the only guy here wondering what's really behind Photon's ...er, ongoing fixation with this issue. o_O

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

There is nothing wrong with posting in an old thread. Any user is welcome to post in any thread at any time, so long as the post remains within the restrictions of the TOS.
Please return THIS thread to the original topic.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

Good bye.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because it's bad manners on an internet forum to resurrect a post where the discussion has died.
According to whom? Sometimes, we learn a lot when an old thread pops back up. Others, it spares pointless repetition of a topuc that's been well covered therein...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because people do it, doesn't mean it's not bad manners. If this truly is the case, I'll probably be done here. I've been on Martial Talk because I considered it the more civilized of the Martial Arts forums. Based on this discussion here, and several others I've had recently, I'm starting to think of this site as being just as toxic as the others I've been avoiding.
Perhaps looking for common denominators would be enlightening...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The straw that broke the camel’s back? Really??

Yes. I've been growing more and more frustrated with this site over the last few months. I made a post a few months back thanking Martial Talk for being a nontoxic site. It has done everything in it's power to prove that post wrong since I put it up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. I've been growing more and more frustrated with this site over the last few months. I made a post a few months back thanking Martial Talk for being a nontoxic site. It has done everything in it's power to prove that post wrong since I put it up.
Take some time off. I do it from time-to-time. We all need to once in a while. Just take a break. Then come on back when you are ready.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Man you should have tried visiting the Wing Chun forum 5 or 6 years back. Then you would have seen some ...real toxicity! And still, Martialtalk was a more civil place than most. By comparison, today's forum is like happytown. A regular love fest! :D

Latest Discussions