Asking To Test

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you imagine somebody worshipping a school teacher or a college professor?
I agree with what I understand to be the context. But, I have a high school teacher and a college coach who were big mentors in my formative years. I really, really, really looked up to them and still do at 56. No, I do not worship them, in the definition of the word as I understand it, but they are on a very high mantle.
Nothing wrong with putting your instructor in that category if they merit it in your life.
I still get Christmas cards from kids who I coached in AAU TKD 20 years ago. Do I think they worship me? That is just silly.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with what I understand to be the context. But, I have a high school teacher and a college coach who were big mentors in my formative years. I really, really, really looked up to them and still do at 56. No, I do not worship them, in the definition of the word as I understand it, but they are on a very high mantle.
Nothing wrong with putting your instructor in that category if they merit it in your life.
I still get Christmas cards from kids who I coached in AAU TKD 20 years ago. Do I think they worship me? That is just silly.
But you had no problems talking to your teacher and coach, did you? If you wanted to get better grades in the class that was taught by your high school teacher or do better in the sport that was coached by your college coach you could talk to them about it, I would think. If you had a problem you could go to your teacher and/or coach with your problem and discuss it with them no doubt.

There is nothing wrong with looking up to such people and putting them on a high mantle like you describe whether they be teachers, coaches, or senseis, but you shouldn't be afraid to talk to them. When you worship such people that's when it becomes a problem. As much as you admired your teacher and coach, they were human beings, just like you. Its the same thing with senseis. When you start worshipping such people and think of them as being godlike rather than human at that point you might not want to talk to them about problems you might have or ways you might want to improve because they are at "too high a level," in your mind to be able to talk to about such stuff.

Just like you might talk to your teacher or coach about getting better grades or doing better in a sport, there should be nothing wrong with talking to your sensei about rank advancement if you want to earn further rank. There should be nothing wrong with saying something like, "Sensei, what do I need to do to be able to test? You haven't told me I could test so what do I need to work on, what do I need to fix, to be able to test and earn my next rank?" There should be nothing wrong with a student asking their sensei that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you had no problems talking to your teacher and coach, did you? If you wanted to get better grades in the class that was taught by your high school teacher or do better in the sport that was coached by your college coach you could talk to them about it, I would think. If you had a problem you could go to your teacher and/or coach with your problem and discuss it with them no doubt.

There is nothing wrong with looking up to such people and putting them on a high mantle like you describe whether they be teachers, coaches, or senseis, but you shouldn't be afraid to talk to them. When you worship such people that's when it becomes a problem. As much as you admired your teacher and coach, they were human beings, just like you. Its the same thing with senseis. When you start worshipping such people and think of them as being godlike rather than human at that point you might not want to talk to them about problems you might have or ways you might want to improve because they are at "too high a level," in your mind to be able to talk to about such stuff.

Just like you might talk to your teacher or coach about getting better grades or doing better in a sport, there should be nothing wrong with talking to your sensei about rank advancement if you want to earn further rank. There should be nothing wrong with saying something like, "Sensei, what do I need to do to be able to test? You haven't told me I could test so what do I need to work on, what do I need to fix, to be able to test and earn my next rank?" There should be nothing wrong with a student asking their sensei that.
Agree. For me, there is only one God 'like' context. I don't have a problem of confusing that with any person. Someone who does this has bigger issues to address than an over bearing Sensei. It is sad when the Sensei (POC?) takes advantage of this.
I do see it happen though. Someone puts a lot of their energy and effort into something, MA in this example. They get very invested and if not careful put blinders on and do see the signs.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I much prefer the made up Bible quote from the film Pulp Fiction.

Ezekial 25:17

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what a religious text has to do with the issue.

Idolatry ...when an instructor presents themselves as more than a coach, ...if they become like a cult-leader who must be worshipped ...like a little god, then that's idolatry. A big no-no in the Western Judeo-Christian tradition, ya know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idolatry ...when an instructor presents themselves as more than a coach, ...if they become like a cult-leader who must be worshipped ...like a little god, then that's idolatry. A big no-no in the Western Judeo-Christian tradition, ya know.

I'm not sure as Jews we'd worship people really, we argue with our G-d a lot as it is so probably not a lot of point expecting us to actually fall to the ground and worship anyone in that way. :D

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So anyway I want to point out that asking to test is not the same as asking to promote. When you test it means you might promote, if you do well enough in the test. It certainly doesn't mean you definitely will promote. Obviously you can fail and not promote.

Therefore, asking "can I test," is not the same as asking "can I promote."