Asking To Test

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, but if you don't think an instructor work their salt doesn't hear the implication whichever way you ask the question, you would be incorrect. It is semantics at best.
I had to go back and re-read the OP. So what is your real question? I get the sense there is more to the post.
You're right, it is semantics. Gpseymour said it best in post #173. My question would be, would it be frowned on to ask such a question to your instructor and of so, why?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Photon, I just went back to re-read the OP quoted above and here's my 2 cents:

I was was in a similar situation several years ago. it had been a while since I'd been promoted and I was concerned. However, unlike you, I do not have much difficulty talking to my instructor. At a quiet time, I pulled him aside and told him that I was quite serious about furthering my training and would appreciate it if he would give me any suggestions about what I could do to reach the next level. He wasn't offended at all and told me that he would keep it in mind.

A few more years passed and last year (Summer 2018) I tested and earned my next rank. Although it took me a total of 32 years to move up a rank , it only took me barely ten or eleven years training with him to get promoted, and only three more years after our conversation!

So you see, a simple conversation, some hard work, and I'm sure you too can get promoted within 10 -30 years. So why all the worry? :)
That depends on how long you want it to take you. For the time frame that you mention, 10-30 years, might be an appropriate time frame when we're talking about very high dan ranks. When you get to that level it can take 10-30 years to go up a single rank, but that would be for ranks such as 5th dan and above. For lower ranks, 10-30 years to get promoted a single rank is a bit much. Just my 2 cents.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since you like this version, let me point out what's different about it. I made it about me - what I need to change. The question you proposed could be taken as being about the instructor, the school, the curriculum, or anything else. An important part of communication (and etiquette) is looking for ways to minimize misunderstanding.

So we were both asking the same question. My version simply makes it clearer what the question is.
Of course it would be about me and how I need to improve. I wouldn't expect the instructor or the school or curriculum to change to meet my expectations, its the other way around. I would never want an instructor to lower their standards to my current level, that would be a very bad instructor. I would want to be able to raise my current level to meet my instructor's standards and if necessary that might involve getting pointers from my instructor.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You would be incorrect. Necro-posting is generally taboo. Usually if you want to rehash a discussion, you open a new one.
I've done that before and from my experience its frowned upon in this forum.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've done that before and from my experience its frowned upon in this forum.

If it's an old discussion that's different than re-opening a thread that's still active.

I've seen people do it before. I've seen people bring back posts much older than this one. It makes more sense to resurrect an old post than to start a new post of the same or similar subject. As for it being bad manners, life is too short to get worked up over internet posts.

So because life's short, bad manners are okay? Because other people do it, that makes it okay?

My goodness, it's teenager attitudes all around on this forum today.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's an old discussion that's different than re-opening a thread that's still active.

So because life's short, bad manners are okay? Because other people do it, that makes it okay?

My goodness, it's teenager attitudes all around on this forum today.
It’s not bad manners. Let it go.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're flat out wrong here. I've never been on a forum where it's good manners.
Bad manners is attempting to dictate to other members what discussions they are allowed to have. These old threads are not closed nor locked. They are open to new posts. Anyone can add to them. If you don’t want to play, then don’t. Don’t read them, don’t post to them.

But go ahead and try to stop me. Just try. :cool:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bad manners is attempting to dictate to other members what discussions they are allowed to have. These old threads are not closed nor locked. They are open to new posts. Anyone can add to them. If you don’t want to play, then don’t. Don’t read them, don’t post to them.

But go ahead and try to stop me. Just try. :cool:

So when someone says it's bad manners to do something, and you do it to them out of spite, you don't see how that's not bad manners?

I take back what I said about acting like a teenager. Now you're just acting like a 2-year-old.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right, it is semantics. Gpseymour said it best in post #173. My question would be, would it be frowned on to ask such a question to your instructor and of so, why?
For me, if you just walked up cold and asked "why haven't I tested" that would be bad form. There is usually at least a loose format of what is required for each promotion. If you feel certain you can check all the boxes and can respectfully argue your case then have a talk with your instructor. If they are unapproachable that may be difficult.
You should walk away with either an answer in the affirmative or a good explanation of why not and what you need to work on.
Either way, if done properly, it will be a good experience regardless of the answer. There is an emotional/maturation component at work here.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen people do it before. I've seen people bring back posts much older than this one. It makes more sense to resurrect an old post than to start a new post of the same or similar subject. As for it being bad manners, life is too short to get worked up over internet posts.
When you fat finger type like I do, the less typing required the better.:cool:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You cannot say that anymore.

Just because people do it, doesn't mean it's not bad manners. If this truly is the case, I'll probably be done here. I've been on Martial Talk because I considered it the more civilized of the Martial Arts forums. Based on this discussion here, and several others I've had recently, I'm starting to think of this site as being just as toxic as the others I've been avoiding.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So when someone says it's bad manners to do something, and you do it to them out of spite, you don't see how that's not bad manners?

I take back what I said about acting like a teenager. Now you're just acting like a 2-year-old.
I’m doing it because it is not bad manners and it is perfectly ok to do it. That you think it’s bad manners is your problem, not mine.

You are getting all worked up over this. Really, it doesn’t matter. Let it go. Look the other way, if it bothers you.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m doing it because it is not bad manners and it is perfectly ok to do it. That you think it’s bad manners is your problem, not mine.

You are getting all worked up over this. Really, it doesn’t matter. Let it go. Look the other way, if it bothers you.

If you tell me something bothers you, and I do it anyway, that's an aggressive move. You and I had a difference of opinion. That's one thing. That you then did that thing to me, makes it a personal attack.

Whether or not you think it's bad manners is irrelevant at that point. You did it to my post specifically out of spite. That is definitely bad manners. Whether or not you think the act itself was bad form, the fact you know I find it offensive and did it to me anyway, is offensive. It's the equivalent of sticking your tongue out at me because "haha look what I can do."

It was the kind of thing I see in our 4 and 5 year old white belts. It's not the kind of thing I'd expect a seasoned martial artist to do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because people do it, doesn't mean it's not bad manners. If this truly is the case, I'll probably be done here. I've been on Martial Talk because I considered it the more civilized of the Martial Arts forums. Based on this discussion here, and several others I've had recently, I'm starting to think of this site as being just as toxic as the others I've been avoiding.
Please explain to us why doing a copy/paste and expounding on it to stimulate more conversation is bad manners?
We are all here for largely the same reasons. It is a Martial themed forum. If somebody steps on your toes maybe they need stepping on. It is never a personal attack but it may help you grow and expand your horizons. How is that bad?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please explain to us why doing a copy/paste and expounding on it to stimulate more conversation is bad manners?
We are all here for largely the same reasons. It is a Martial themed forum. If somebody steps on your toes maybe they need stepping on. It is never a personal attack but it may help you grow and expand your horizons. How is that bad?

That's not what we're even discussing.

We're discussing taking a thread where the conversation has died, and posting in the thread to bring it back to life.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not what we're even discussing.

We're discussing taking a thread where the conversation has died, and posting in the thread to bring it back to life.
Ok, what is wrong with that? If you posted something last year and recall that it is relevant to a current post why not reuse your previous argument?
I have no clue what the rub is here. I just hate to see anyone leave the forum for petty reasons.

Latest Discussions