Apparently Global Warming is Offically Over now.

Discussion in 'The Study' started by Cryozombie, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Cryozombie

Cryozombie Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Yes, Tez, and I thanked you for that. You were not one of the two people being puckering *******s because I asked the question, so thank you again.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    No worries. The argument over global warming is a legitimate one but at the moment the concern over the sexual abuse of children is more important I think. It seems we have had a 'celebrity' peadophile ring, mostly based in the BBC for a considerable time, it seems too that major political figures as well as 'stars' are caught up in this. The police have over 300 cases concerning just one 'celebrity, a couple of others have been arrested and are on police bail. It's a huge story and the concern with the Fail is that while reporting on it they are also promoting the sexualisation of underage children. I dont want to downplay your thread and concerns over global warming but how we view children is perhaps more important, because it won't matter about the climate if we damage our children so much they cannot function properly as adults.

3. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

Keep your shorts on.
    Certain papers just are on that level. Even if they manage to get a few good articles out now and then, they get lost in the swamp.

We got a notorious paper like that in Germany. 'Man put girlfriend through the meat grinder. BILD spoke with the meat loaf'
    Now and then they have a good article....but the filth you have to wade through to find them? ungodly.

4. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Wake me when there's a consensus among on scientists on global warming, reflected by peer-reviewed research. Oh wait...there is! I'll ignore the newspaper articles for now, then.

5. Big Don

Big Don Sr. Grandmaster

You understand there was a consensus for centuries that the planet was flat and/or the center of the universe. How did that science work out?

6. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Have the courage to speak softly

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Well, the first one is a myth - don't know why it persists as even in Biblical times it was known/theorised that the earth was a sphere.

The second was something promulgated by the Church and it took the bravery of some intelligent thinkers to challenge the clergy and eventually overthrow that Man-is-the-centre-of-Creation tradition.

Now it is true that Science is a process - it is the best way of explaining our perceptions of how things are with the observations that we have now. That is why it evolves. Why it works is that the core rationale is that any claims must be subject to testing and be capable of accurate predictions (which is where the present climate models fall down as they cannot help but be rough approximations).

• Like Like x 1
  7. arnisador

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Eh...a consensus among on scientists, reflected by peer-reviewed research.

And the belief that there was a widespread belief in a flat earth is counterfactual. It's part of the Christopher Columbus myth.

8. billc

billc Grandmaster

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    From the article...

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

10. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

LOL, that was marketing PR.

11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well it was not really a consensus for centuries. the Greeks were fairly certain around the 6th century BC, that the earth was Spherical. You can blame Pythagoras for that but Herodotus, Plato and Aristotle all said the same thing later.

More on that

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. Xue Sheng

I haven’t commented here because the title

Apparently Global Warming is Officially Over now.

First gave me this reaction :lfao:

For the record, not poking anyone with a stick and not yanking anyone’s chain

You cannot turn something like Global warming on or off like flipping a light switch. It is something that, once it gets going it will continue for a while, eventually slow down and then you end up in a cycle of global cooling., but it does not come to a screeching halt.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. Xue Sheng

I just had to post these because I think they are really a good way to show exactly how global warming doen't work when you are talking about it ending

Good example of what this suggests has happened with Global warming and showing exactly how it doesn't work can be seen at 6:50

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  14. Xue Sheng

Sorry, I am having trouble posting links again so I had to make this one another post

Possibly a better example of what is being suggested and what Global Warming, or cooling for that matter, doesn’t do might be this one starts at 7:07 ends at 8:15

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  15. K-man

K-man Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    i don't think there is any argument among reputable scientists that global warming is occurring. The debate is over the cause, natural or man-made and what can be done, if anything, to reduce it. :asian:

16. arnisador

• Martial Talk Alumni
    There's consensus that there's anthropogenic global climate change--though there are certainly other processes at work also.

17. Xue Sheng

Some ways the Globe gets warmer

Large Volcanic Eruptions
    Sun Spots
    Earth Axis Shift
    Earth Orbit change
    Increase in Carbon dioxide emissions
    Massive amounts of Deforestation,
    Increase in usage of chemical fertilizers

Problems

Rise in sea levels worldwide
    Weather pattern changes
    Larger more dangerous storms
    Massive crop failures
    Widespread extinction of species
    Disappearance of coral reefs
    Warm weather disease move further north
    Population issues do to shrinking landmass above water

Bottom-line here is that it really does not matter whose fault it is, it is happening. What matter is can "WE" do anything about it and/or can we or our cultures (global) survive it if we cannot do anything about it

But let’s not forget global warming does not mean the entire surface of the globe gets warmer, the mean temperature raises but it does not get warmer on every single square mile of the earth. Some places get warmer, some do not change and others get colder. But overall more get warmer than cooler.

Or we can continue to discuss whose fault it is and I will see you all at my beach front home Valdosta Georgia…well maybe not me and you… but our kids and or grand-kids

18. teekin

teekin 3rd Black Belt

BD, There is Science and then there is Propoganda. Now science is based on theories. Theories are tested by running experiments ( or not) and collecting Data. Once the data is collected it must be analysed. or Interpreted if you are heavily invested in a particular outcome. The King and Church strongly urged scientists to interpretted any findings of such experiments to Support the church and rulers policies of that day. Or face the rack. No pressure. So, lets not confuse science and propoganda.

( I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I am a slave to my passions. :s58:123