Anyone heard of this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
The man is dead. What he said doesn't really matter anymore. The main thing is that his students, Rebelo Sensei among them, remember him for what he DID, not what he said. A good man is dead, is there any way to let it go? I know of plenty of other people we could attack because of padding one's resume with things they wish were true, that are still alive, that we can bash if you want. :rolleyes: :disgust:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The man is dead. What he said doesn't really matter anymore. The main thing is that his students, Rebelo Sensei among them, remember him for what he DID, not what he said. A good man is dead, is there any way to let it go? I know of plenty of other people we could attack because of padding one's resume with things they wish were true, that are still alive, that we can bash if you want. :rolleyes: :disgust:

I guess your definition of "Good Man" is different from mine. To me he's just another "Tail-Gunner Joe".

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what a tail gunner joe is, but unless a man "hurts" someone, I leave it to God to judge him. I don't condone lying, but in this case it hurt nobody, so I leave it in Gods capable hands. Now if the lie had led to someone being hurt physically, mentaly, emotionally or spiritually, or even hurt what non-MA folks think of the arts, then I'd have a problem with it. Luckily, I know people with whom he trained and taught, and it didn't hurt anyone, and regardless of what he said, his execution and knowledge of the arts were vast. Let the man R.I.P. since he isn't here to defend himself. Not disagreeing with you Danjo, just don't see the point in beating this to death my friend.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what a tail gunner joe is, but unless a man "hurts" someone, I leave it to God to judge him. I don't condone lying, but in this case it hurt nobody, so I leave it in Gods capable hands. Now if the lie had led to someone being hurt physically, mentaly, emotionally or spiritually, or even hurt what non-MA folks think of the arts, then I'd have a problem with it. Luckily, I know people with whom he trained and taught, and it didn't hurt anyone, and regardless of what he said, his execution and knowledge of the arts were vast. Let the man R.I.P. since he isn't here to defend himself. Not disagreeing with you Danjo, just don't see the point in beating this to death my friend.

Well, I don't know whether he made it right with God or not, but I don't think we should just wink at someone faking their service record. Our boys in the service often get little more than the personal pride and recognition that they were a part of an elite group that put it on the line for our country. If we just allow anyone that wants to to say it whether they were or not, then it's a downward slope. Tailgunner Joe was Joe McCarthy who notoriously lied about his war record and was caught.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attention All Users:

The original question has been answered. There is no point in dragging this issue on, considering that he is deceased. At this time, this thread is being closed.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The original question that started this thread 3 years ago was:

"This is from a post I placed in the Chinese Martial Arts forum, the gentleman also claims to hold rank in Chinese Kenpo so I figured I post it here too...

I ran across this guy's website fishing around on the net. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/robertsmith/

He claims to have taught SEAL Teams H2H in 1968. HOw true is this and does anyone know if indeed he was a SEAL Team Operator?

Quote:
The Dragon was a Navy Seal and assistant martial arts instructor for the Navy Seals in 1968
"

That question has been answered. And the gentleman has now passed.
There are those that are appalled by his behavior, and those who aren't.
But it will do no good to argue it out now, since he won't be making anymore false claims.

So, lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions