Anyone heard of this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Operator06

This is from a post I placed in the Chinese Martial Arts forum, the gentleman also claims to hold rank in Chinese Kenpo so I figured I post it here too...

I ran across this guy's website fishing around on the net. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/robertsmith/

He claims to have taught SEAL Teams H2H in 1968. HOw true is this and does anyone know if indeed he was a SEAL Team Operator?

Quote:
The Dragon was a Navy Seal and assistant martial arts instructor for the Navy Seals in 1968

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple enough to check on his background with the SEALS, I suppose. If he's a fraud, they'll find out.

He says he designed one of the weapons on the page...all he did was add another hook to a Chinese hook sword.

I'm skeptical.

Regards,

Steve

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I ran across this guy's website fishing around on the net

If I caught this while fishing, i'd throw it back.
No!, seriously far to much diversfied rank to be genuine (imo).
You can't have toooo many 10th degrees on your C.V.now can you.
He wasn't even called "the" Dragon, just menacingly...... Dragon.
Respectfully
Tiga
10 degree won hung lo

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sijo Smith is legitimate. In my limited contacts with him, through my insturctor, KenpoJoe (who trains with Sijo Smith), I have come to respect this man immensely. His knowledge of Chin-Na is truly awe-inspiring. From what I've seen of the Shao Choy Hung system, it is extremly effective. I've contacted KenpoJoe so that he will hopefully come and give more detailed insight into Sijo Smith.

Namaste. :asian:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo5th said:
Sijo Smith is legitimate. In my limited contacts with him, through my insturctor, KenpoJoe (who trains with Sijo Smith), I have come to respect this man immensely. His knowledge of Chin-Na is truly awe-inspiring. From what I've seen of the Shao Choy Hung system, it is extremly effective. I've contacted KenpoJoe so that he will hopefully come and give more detailed insight into Sijo Smith.

Namaste. :asian:

Isn't Robert Smith the guy who wrote the two books called something like "Secret Fighting Techniques of the World" that was basically a fun, interesting, fictional read about a guy who traveled the world looking for secret techniques?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

This is definately NOT the same guy. Robert W. Smith has written a number of books (martial musings, comprehensive asian fighting arts (with Draeger), etc), but was primarily a judo and then internal kung-fu practioner. This guys resume reads bit different. Besides, if I was the author of 14 books, I'd put it on my website. :)

Lamont

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anybody with that many ultra high ranks is bogus. There is not enough time on God's green earth to be legit with that resume! They most likely are "bought", "crossed over" or the very prevalent.... "good ole boy" promotion routine.

No doubt the man has "some" sort of ability or experience but more of a "jack of all trades master of none" {except with official certification, of course ..... lol}.

Funny to visit these guys sites however, lets you know where NOT to study!

:rolleyes:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Anybody with that many ultra high ranks is bogus. There is not enough time on God's green earth to be legit with that resume! They most likely are "bought", "crossed over" or the very prevalent.... "good ole boy" promotion routine.

No doubt the man has "some" sort of ability or experience but more of a "jack of all trades master of none" {except with official certification, of course ..... lol}.

Funny to visit these guys sites however, lets you know where NOT to study!

:rolleyes:
It must be a coincidence that the "masters" that vouch for their legitmacy usually have 10-20 high ranks of their own. :rolleyes: Whole lot of back slapping going on.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
It must be a coincidence that the "masters" that vouch for their legitmacy usually have 10-20 high ranks of their own. :rolleyes: Whole lot of back slapping going on.
Yep! :) But what the heck do I know....... I'm just a local. :idunno: :)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's legit, he's legit. Smith has nothing to worry about if his SEAL claims are true.

Check out the "Wall of Shame" at the link posted above. Lots of names. He isn't on it...yet.

As for his martial arts claims...if it turns out his SEAL claims are bogus, I wouldn't trust him on any other issue. If he's a SEAL, his integrity and work ethic are likely stellar.

Regards,

Steve

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it a sad state of affairs when we have to question every single person's credentials? There are so many fakes and frauds out there, that they have destroyed the credibility of the real Martial Artists like Sijo Smith. This man has dedicated his entire life to spread the wealth of the Martial Arts, and all we can do is criticize because he isn't someone who is "well Known." Very sad indeed.

Namaste :asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo5th said:
Does anyone else find it a sad state of affairs when we have to question every single person's credentials? There are so many fakes and frauds out there, that they have destroyed the credibility of the real Martial Artists like Sijo Smith. This man has dedicated his entire life to spread the wealth of the Martial Arts, and all we can do is criticize because he isn't someone who is "well Known." Very sad indeed.

Namaste :asian:

There are some very well known martial artists and military people who have represented their credentials.

As for it being sad, yes...it is sad that a large number of people misrepresent their military and martial arts background. Is Mr. Smith one of them? I honestly can't say. The "fraud busting" policy of the forum suggests we drop it.

Operator06, however, and anybody else interested in training with Mr. Smith have a right to enquire as to his background. Skeptics, within the policy's parameters, have a right (as I read it) to express reservations provided they don't become inquisitors. Nobody has become an inquisitor.

And no. We DON'T question every person's credentials.

Regards,

Steve

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is you first clue to that this guy is BULL........

10th Degree Black Belt Shao-Choy-Hung Kung Fu
10th Degree Black Belt Shao-Choy-Hung Chuan Fa "Chinese Kenpo"
10th Degree Black Belt Shao-Choy-Hung Chin Na
8th Degree Black Belt Jujitsu
8th Degree Black Belt Atemi Do
6th Degree Black Belt Nindo Ryu Gendai Taijutsu
5th Degree Black Belt in Kenpo from Grandmaster Robert Hoe
Senior technical advisor for Nindo Ryu Goshin Jujutsu
Roju Council of Elders "Nindo Ryu International"
Member of Budokan America Council of Masters
Member of the International Black Belt Organization's Grandmaster Council

Too many high dan ranks.........

He does have a 10th degree gut though!!!

Ever notice how must of the 10th degree "grandmasters" seem to have huge guts....Must be a prerequisite or something…..You can always tell the people that actually train hard just by looking at there physique……this guy would have had to train pretty hard to get all those ranks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok it's simple enough then...

1) Who was his Hung Ga teacher? Name, length of time studied.
2) Who was his Choy Lee Fut teacher? Name, length of time studed.
3) Why did he feel it necessary to try to mix Hung Ga & CLF when it's not necessary since both are pretty complete?
4) Why did he feel it necessary to "break out" qin na into it's own "ranking" :rolleyes: group?
5) Why does he feel it necessary to take Chinese arts & qunatify them with Japanese based rank & American ego??

Don't even get me started on the other stuff...

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Operator06 said:
This is from a post I placed in the Chinese Martial Arts forum, the gentleman also claims to hold rank in Chinese Kenpo so I figured I post it here too...

I ran across this guy's website fishing around on the net. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/robertsmith/

He claims to have taught SEAL Teams H2H in 1968. HOw true is this and does anyone know if indeed he was a SEAL Team Operator?

Quote:
The Dragon was a Navy Seal and assistant martial arts instructor for the Navy Seals in 1968

Hi Folks,
I've been made aware of this thread and finally got around to writing about Sijo Bob "Dragon" Smith. I've know Sijo Smith for over 17 years and I'll let you know some info about "dragon" as he likes to be called...
His Kung Fu training was under a Wing Pong Sung in Boston's Chinatown in the 1960's. His sifu instructed Shaolin,Hung Gar, Choy Lee Fut and Kenpo techniques [no forms were taught in the kenpo portion]at his location there. When students asked about "rank", he simply taught the skills he knew and after Mr. Smith had trained with Sifu he was told that in regards to "rank", he would have placed him at the level of a brown belt because it was considered a level before black belt [or instructor level]. Sifu Sung returned to China and Mr. Smith was without an instructor. Because of the relationship to Japanese oriented rank, he felt he needed to get a "black Belt" to be formally recognized and performed all the chinese martial arts material before a group of local martial arts instructors to be "recognized" as an instructor, as is the case with many "Martial Arts orphans". He contacted Robert Hoe of Kosho Ryu and had him recognize him as a Black Belt in Kenpo. Over the years, he would re-organize the various chinese arts he had learned and formated the 5 animal actions he had learned into a 5 animal master form with 10 to 12 techniques for each individual animal as well as catalog all the various chin na techniques he had learned from his sifu and organize them, as well as create new techniques based on his own ideas and meeting with various martial artists over the years. He would call his new creation "Shao Choy Hung Kung Fu" and, as the founder of this unique hybrid, he was Sijo [founder] of that art and the sub-systems under it. [for those people who did not grasp the concept of founder, he equated it with the japanese ranking system for uneducated individuals to understand the concept and time in grade involved in his study of the arts. Other organizations would later recognize his efforts and award him roughly equivalent rank in the divisions where his art could be acknowledged [chin na=jujutsu] and he could acknowledged as the founder of his own unique art. any rank that is preceded by "Shao Choy Hung" is his unique outlook on that particular art and is not subject to ranking from other arts per se. I have studied under Sijo Smith, attended seminars that he has taught, sat on testing boards for his students and recently, have filmed every class or seminar that he offered to offer a future video on his art.
He has endured several medical conditions that unfortunately have now confined him to a wheelchair and unfortunately he is staying at a veteran's care facility. Because of that, he has asked that the website be taken down because he "can no longer teach and feels he has nothing to teach anyone anymore" yet, I have seen this man always enlighten various martial artists with his natural ability to elevate a given technique or enhance a particular performer, as well as technique a plethora or techniques. It has been my honor to know Sijo Smith and a pleasure to work with him over the years. But in his present physical condition, He is far more concerned with whether he will ever walk again to worrying about internet mud slinging.
Thank you for your time,
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Operator06 said:

Quote:

Sijo Smith was in the seals and when it was found out that he was proficient in the martial arts, the H2H instructor asked Sijo Smith to assist in the instruction of the recuits in the program. no big lofty title involved. he was asked to do so because he exhibited a skill in the arts that apparently the other recuits did not, or perhaps the instructor saw promise in Mr. smith at that time, I don't personally know.
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Simple enough to check on his background with the SEALS, I suppose. If he's a fraud, they'll find out.

He says he designed one of the weapons on the page...all he did was add another hook to a Chinese hook sword.

I'm skeptical.

Regards,

Steve

Dear Steve,
The "Windstorms" are far more than a simple variation on a "Fu tou ou" or "Tiger head hook" sword, it is a combination weapon, similar to the double hooks, but also encompasses aspects of the "emporer lance" because of the crown like top appendage that can stab [as opposed to the tiger hook] and block with the twin tops of the hooks, as well as reverse hook/connect the two blades] (like gerald okamura's reverse san soo hook swords] as well as a guard spike at the top of rear guard for close range grappling stabbing actions. I have a set of these myself and i find some of the unique weapon quite facinating.
KENPOJOE

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
Hi Folks,
I've been made aware of this thread and finally got around to writing about Sijo Bob "Dragon" Smith. I've know Sijo Smith for over 17 years and I'll let you know some info about "dragon" as he likes to be called...
His Kung Fu training was under a Wing Pong Sung in Boston's Chinatown in the 1960's. His sifu instructed Shaolin,Hung Gar, Choy Lee Fut and Kenpo techniques [no forms were taught in the kenpo portion]at his location there. When students asked about "rank", he simply taught the skills he knew and after Mr. Smith had trained with Sifu he was told that in regards to "rank", he would have placed him at the level of a brown belt because it was considered a level before black belt [or instructor level]. Sifu Sung returned to China and Mr. Smith was without an instructor. Because of the relationship to Japanese oriented rank, he felt he needed to get a "black Belt" to be formally recognized and performed all the chinese martial arts material before a group of local martial arts instructors to be "recognized" as an instructor, as is the case with many "Martial Arts orphans". He contacted Robert Hoe of Kosho Ryu and had him recognize him as a Black Belt in Kenpo. Over the years, he would re-organize the various chinese arts he had learned and formated the 5 animal actions he had learned into a 5 animal master form with 10 to 12 techniques for each individual animal as well as catalog all the various chin na techniques he had learned from his sifu and organize them, as well as create new techniques based on his own ideas and meeting with various martial artists over the years. He would call his new creation "Shao Choy Hung Kung Fu" and, as the founder of this unique hybrid, he was Sijo [founder] of that art and the sub-systems under it. [for those people who did not grasp the concept of founder, he equated it with the japanese ranking system for uneducated individuals to understand the concept and time in grade involved in his study of the arts. Other organizations would later recognize his efforts and award him roughly equivalent rank in the divisions where his art could be acknowledged [chin na=jujutsu] and he could acknowledged as the founder of his own unique art. any rank that is preceded by "Shao Choy Hung" is his unique outlook on that particular art and is not subject to ranking from other arts per se. I have studied under Sijo Smith, attended seminars that he has taught, sat on testing boards for his students and recently, have filmed every class or seminar that he offered to offer a future video on his art.
He has endured several medical conditions that unfortunately have now confined him to a wheelchair and unfortunately he is staying at a veteran's care facility. Because of that, he has asked that the website be taken down because he "can no longer teach and feels he has nothing to teach anyone anymore" yet, I have seen this man always enlighten various martial artists with his natural ability to elevate a given technique or enhance a particular performer, as well as technique a plethora or techniques. It has been my honor to know Sijo Smith and a pleasure to work with him over the years. But in his present physical condition, He is far more concerned with whether he will ever walk again to worrying about internet mud slinging.
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE
I do not know anything about your instructor but I wish him well I am sorry to here about his condition, I do hope that he can one day teach again.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
I ran across this guy's website fishing around on the net

If I caught this while fishing, i'd throw it back.
No!, seriously far to much diversfied rank to be genuine (imo).
You can't have toooo many 10th degrees on your C.V.now can you.
He wasn't even called "the" Dragon, just menacingly...... Dragon.
Respectfully
Tiga
10 degree won hung lo

Dear "tiga"
The name "dragon" was a name that chinese martial artist who saw Sijo Smith perform in his early career used for him. the person said that "you move like a dragon" [as opposed to "dragging along" LOL!] and it was a simple "nom de guerre" he used, nothing more..no more uncommon that "Mafia" halloway or "Spiderman" peters or "super dan" anderson in tournament circles.
KENPOJOE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions