Any advice for stating focused during black belt test?

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Generally (except for McDojo) the instructor will only let you do the black belt test when he/she is sure that you have the ability.

Remember your Poomsae well and try the moves for breaking boards a few times and it should be a breeze

Thanks so much. [emoji56][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally (except for McDojo) the instructor will only let you do the black belt test when he/she is sure that you have the ability.

Remember your Poomsae well and try the moves for breaking boards a few times and it should be a breeze

That depends. At some dojos, when tests are coming up, its ultimately up to the student if they want to test. An instructor might recommend against it but its ultimately up to the student, they pay the testing fee and whether or not they pass they don't get it back. And obviously just because they're testing doesn't mean they will pass.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That depends. At some dojos, when tests are coming up, its ultimately up to the student if they want to test. An instructor might recommend against it but its ultimately up to the student, they pay the testing fee and whether or not they pass they don't get it back. And obviously just because they're testing doesn't mean they will pass.

Yeah that's true. I've been to 3 dojangs for Taekwondo and have never watched anyone fail a test and I've never failed and won't ever fail haha. But my Master told me that I'm definitely ready and that I should do this. So I believe him.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no tests. A test would mean there is an uncertainty you will pass, instead it is a demonstration. You are to display all the things you know, not prove that you know them. If there were any doubts as to whether you knew what you needed to know, I am sure someone would stop you from trying to get black belt already.
Agreed.

My approach to my BB test was simple: I spent a bit of time in the classes preceding it to clean up a few weak spots and cycle through technques to spot any consistent errors. I didn't practice for my test. I didn't train fitness for my test. I was ready for it, and just wanted to give myself a bit more of an edge. @FllamingJulian You should be in the same position. If you focus too hard on trying not to blank, you'll just raise your own anxiety level. Just use the remaining classes as a chance to polish, so you can show your best stuff. Then go wow them!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed.

My approach to my BB test was simple: I spent a bit of time in the classes preceding it to clean up a few weak spots and cycle through technques to spot any consistent errors. I didn't practice for my test. I didn't train fitness for my test. I was ready for it, and just wanted to give myself a bit more of an edge. @FllamingJulian You should be in the same position. If you focus too hard on trying not to blank, you'll just raise your own anxiety level. Just use the remaining classes as a chance to polish, so you can show your best stuff. Then go wow them!
I always tells something to my semi-regular training partner..."don't think just flow." I can always tell when he is thinking and getting analytical because he starts making mistakes in drills but when he simply trusts his muscle memory he is dang good.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Agreed.

Thanks for your awesome post! Helps!

Latest Discussions