Any advice for stating focused during black belt test?

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a black belt test coming up. I really need some advice. I don't want to draw a blank. All I do is practice. It's for Tae Kwon Do. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You shouldn't be testing if you're not ready for it. If you know you're ready, then why worry?

Also, remember, this is just the beginning.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just enjoy the process, bro, you'll be fine. Years from now, which will go by so fast you won't believe it, other people will be asking you the same question. And they will do just fine, too.

Best of luck, buddy. Have some fun.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a black belt test coming up. I really need some advice. I don't want to draw a blank. All I do is practice. It's for Tae Kwon Do. Thanks

There are no tests. A test would mean there is an uncertainty you will pass, instead it is a demonstration. You are to display all the things you know, not prove that you know them. If there were any doubts as to whether you knew what you needed to know, I am sure someone would stop you from trying to get black belt already.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just enjoy It don't get worked up about it do what you always do and if you pass awesome if you fail who cares you'll get better and get it next time just keep working hard and do what you do

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are no tests. A test would mean there is an uncertainty you will pass, instead it is a demonstration. You are to display all the things you know, not prove that you know them. If there were any doubts as to whether you knew what you needed to know, I am sure someone would stop you from trying to get black belt already.

True thanks!

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just enjoy It don't get worked up about it do what you always do and if you pass awesome if you fail who cares you'll get better and get it next time just keep working hard and do what you do

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll pass. I have time to practice just hope I don't draw a blank or anything. Thanks for helping

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Spending less time on internet forums and more time training perhaps. :)

Well I use these forums in school but thanks I'll take the advice for what it's worth lol.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just enjoy the process, bro, you'll be fine. Years from now, which will go by so fast you won't believe it, other people will be asking you the same question. And they will do just fine, too.

Best of luck, buddy. Have some fun.

Thanks you! Appreciate it. Very helpful :):)[emoji4][emoji56]

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You shouldn't be testing if you're not ready for it. If you know you're ready, then why worry?

Also, remember, this is just the beginning.

True I suppose I will go into many degrees afterwards. And it's not so much that I think I'll fail due to lack of practice, it's just that I know how easy it is to miss a board but I'm pretty certain I'll pass. Just was asking advice for a few tips. [emoji3]

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tested my 2nd dan at TKD last year, and i was nervous as anything waiting for it to begin. But once it began, the muscle memory flowed it, and it's all ok. If you practise hard enough, it should be the same. good luck

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tested my 2nd dan at TKD last year, and i was nervous as anything waiting for it to begin. But once it began, the muscle memory flowed it, and it's all ok. If you practise hard enough, it should be the same. good luck

Thanks - honestly helps a lot.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. I tested for my 2nd Dan in TKD in April 2015 and I have never had a
test that I wasn't nervous for - which is good - being nervous means you
care about the end result.. you should be nervous!

2. Nobody is perfect - while our tests are pass/fail - if you do draw
a blank on something, a good Instructor will give you a chance
to redo the technique or missed part

3. If your Instructor(s) didn't think you were ready to test - you wouldn't be.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1. I tested for my 2nd Dan in TKD in April 2015 and I have never had a
test that I wasn't nervous for - which is good - being nervous means you
care about the end result.. you should be nervous!

2. Nobody is perfect - while our tests are pass/fail - if you do draw
a blank on something, a good Instructor will give you a chance
to redo the technique or missed part

3. If your Instructor(s) didn't think you were ready to test - you wouldn't be.

Very true and good points. Thank you so much!

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Think of it as just another test, or better yet as just another practice session. The black belt is just the belt after brown (or whatever system your school uses). So just take your test like you're taking another class, and where you're striving to make it your best class (which is how every class should be taken.)

Vegeta

White Belt
Reaction score
Generally (except for McDojo) the instructor will only let you do the black belt test when he/she is sure that you have the ability.

Remember your Poomsae well and try the moves for breaking boards a few times and it should be a breeze

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Think of it as just another test, or better yet as just another practice session. The black belt is just the belt after brown (or whatever system your school uses). So just take your test like you're taking another class, and where you're striving to make it your best class (which is how every class should be taken.)

Thank you! Thanks so much!

Latest Discussions