Jump knee

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So this happened w while ago before my gym closed for summer but we were doing jump knees and the way I'd always done it is similar to the crane kick in karate fake jump into the knee but that time we did it slightly different where you jump in the air from your stance then switch midair and go in with the knee. I think I'm explaining it badly but both feet leave the floor at the same time. Personally I like both the both leg jump one I feel gets more power and distance but the other ones better for point scoring as one it looks more flashy (for points in the ring to impress the judges I know street fighting that doesn't matter) and the fake front kick distracts your opponent.

Just thought I'd see what people say about it. It's not a technique I'd personally use a lot but it's good to see different opinions and I have used it a couple times in fights but it's definentely not a go to move for me.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean something like this but with a knee?

Yeah that's the way I mainly used to do it basically like the karate kid style kick. But that could just be awful co-ordination I'm terrible at getting both legs up at the same time. We do hurdle jumps sometimes for warm and I end up almost skipping over them same with box jumps

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think a 'crane kick' is in karate? In karate, the kick kempodisciple has posted is a jumping scissors front kick. A knee would do the job though.
You don't get both legs up together to start with, it's a bit like hurdling. Practice getting the left leg (I'm taking the direction from the video you can do it with either leg) knee bent up as high as you can standing, then jumping, the higher that knee the higher the kick will be. As the left leg is coming down bring the right knee up, when you have this bring in the kick/knee into play. Break it down into stages then bring it together, what you are doing is actually a skip from one leg to the other.

Latest Discussions