Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen Chael Sonnen stand completely stationary when Machida moved his hips to hrow a mawashi geri, and did so. There was no disguise yet Chael just stood there. He did not see it coming at all.
I'd hesitate to draw a generalization from individuals.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't base my opinion off Chael Sonnen only
What I'm suggesting is that if MMA fighters as a group were nearly blind to certain kicks, someone in MMA would find a great kicker and put them in the ring. That's kind of how the progression of MMA has gone.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I'm suggesting is that if MMA fighters as a group were nearly blind to certain kicks, someone in MMA would find a great kicker and put them in the ring. That's kind of how the progression of MMA has gone.

I didn't say they were blind, but worse.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sounds like you're talking about a side kick with the supporting leg moving. I've never learned anything like that.
Your description is a kick commonly called a sliding kick. It is a powerful kick and does carry a lot of force and mass if done correctly. Not certain but I think what acronym is describing is like a flick. Putting the leg out there to create hand/arm movement then accelerating into an actual kick. The supporting leg does not necessarily move.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In NGA (the source of almost all my kicking knowledge), we only have one side kick - rear leg. I’ve been trying to develop the lead leg kick by using what I know from my other kicks, but so far it’s useful only if it never makes contact (they’ll find out it’s no threat, at all).
FWIW, a lead leg side kick is a great defensive kick. Very good at keeping someone off and away from you.
Hmmm, make good power and it is close to the 6' rule I suppose.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and no. The default is "Side Piercing kick is done with high punch unless instructed otherwise. " So, for patterns, if nothing else is designated i.e. "Pulling Hands in Opposite direction" Forming Guarding Block" etc. then Side Piercing kicks (Non Jumping) are accompanied by a high punch.
Mr. Earl Weiss, I understand the arm motion mostly from the Palgwe and Yudanja form sets. Usually in Kukkiwon/WT TKD there is a great emphasis on a high kick. This has always been a bit confusing to me when adding the arm motion (punch, backfist, hammer fist, etc...) since the kick is in the way of the punch or vise-versa. The ITF style where the kick is a mid-level strike paired with the hand strike make much more sense to me.
We have modified the forms so that the hand strike is performed as the kicking foot goes back to the ground in stance. It is a congruent part of the kicking motion, post kick. Does that make sense?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ITF style where the kick is a mid-level strike paired with the hand strike make much more sense to me.
Does that make sense?
Sir, I will answer thusly. "Making Sense" can be relative. Now for details. The basic Chang Hon response for why we use a high punch with the Side Piercing kick, is in case the kick is blocked or stuffed, you get them with the punch. I thought that was a great concept until someone asked "Well then why not do it with all kicks?". This got me to thinking that it may be more of a training tool . You have likely seen people do Side Kicks where they "roll their shoulder" so they are somewhat turning their back to the opponent and looking over the shoulder. This of course presents vulnerability issues and limits the opportunity to follow up with the hands. As a tool, punching with the kicking side hand tends to eliminate this issue.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[

There was somebody somewhere making the rationale that the reason you have the arm out is because the student is not yet proficient, wheras later on, the student can throw sidekicks and parry counters.
See post #148. For my thoughts.

There are plenty of Higher level patterns where the Side Piercing Kick is accompanied by the High Punch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, a lead leg side kick is a great defensive kick. Very good at keeping someone off and away from you.
Hmmm, make good power and it is close to the 6' rule I suppose.
That "good power" part is my problem. :oops: It works fine in light-touch sparring, because my opponent will never figure out that's almost all it's capable of. In anything heavier, I mostly use it to try to establish a pattern I don't intend to follow.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That "good power" part is my problem. :oops: It works fine in light-touch sparring, because my opponent will never figure out that's almost all it's capable of. In anything heavier, I mostly use it to try to establish a pattern I don't intend to follow.
I am wondering where your center is when throwing say a mid level, lead leg kick. A big part of the power comes from shifting your center forward as the leg goes out. It will increase range a good 6"-10" also.
I don't know how much video you watch but pay attention to what the hips do on someone with good, quick lead leg kicks. A lot of times they will shift forward and then back to center, depending on where they want the kicking leg to end up. It is something I don't have nearly as much flexibility with as I used to. Can be hell on the standing knee.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering where your center is when throwing say a mid level, lead leg kick. A big part of the power comes from shifting your center forward as the leg goes out. It will increase range a good 6"-10" also.
I don't know how much video you watch but pay attention to what the hips do on someone with good, quick lead leg kicks. A lot of times they will shift forward and then back to center, depending on where they want the kicking leg to end up. It is something I don't have nearly as much flexibility with as I used to. Can be hell on the standing knee.
I suspect I simply don't have the fundamentals for that kick. I've borrowed what feels like the movement of a snap kick, and it feels less functional than that snap kick - probably because that power generation doesn't fit the kick. Mind you, the rear-leg side kick in NGA is pretty clunky, and that's the only side kick I have any real experience with. The front kick variations in NGA are much more functional, IMO.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suspect I simply don't have the fundamentals for that kick. I've borrowed what feels like the movement of a snap kick, and it feels less functional than that snap kick - probably because that power generation doesn't fit the kick. Mind you, the rear-leg side kick in NGA is pretty clunky, and that's the only side kick I have any real experience with. The front kick variations in NGA are much more functional, IMO.

Unless you show us what it looks like it would be pure speculation on our part

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect I simply don't have the fundamentals for that kick..
Maybe you can watch some Cung Lee Videos and see what he does and try to emulate it. In person I could teach the fundamentals. Much more difficult to communicate by the written word.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jong Soo Park is way better than Cung Le

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

How old are you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you show us what it looks like it would be pure speculation on our part
If I ever get back into a dojo, I'll try to grab a video of me kicking a bag. Assuming I can still do that kick, at all. All the driving I'm doing right now has really tightened my hips, so I may not have a side kick anymore.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can watch some Cung Lee Videos and see what he does and try to emulate it. In person I could teach the fundamentals. Much more difficult to communicate by the written word.
That in-person instruction is probably necessary in my case. Someday I'll be back around people doing martial arts.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I ever get back into a dojo, I'll try to grab a video of me kicking a bag. Assuming I can still do that kick, at all. All the driving I'm doing right now has really tightened my hips, so I may not have a side kick anymore.

Aren't there youtube clips of other practitioners?

Latest Discussions