Alternative history to Wing Chun

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, but I'd like to see some proof of Guyiquan's existence.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

Given the fact that the article starts off with a false history of multiple "Shaolin temples" (no need to read the rest), and there not being a single hit for 古義拳 (Guyiquan) on the Chinese internet... it's fairly obvious the article was written by some guy in Boston who made up his own version of Wing Chun and its history.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ I had the same thought. And given that there are some inconsistencies on the very first page........ And if I recall, the whole connection of Cheung Ng (Tan Sau Ng) to Wing Chun history was based on one reference in a book about the Chinese opera that had nothing to do with Wing Chun.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^^^ I had the same thought. And given that there are some inconsistencies on the very first page........ And if I recall, the whole connection of Cheung Ng (Tan Sau Ng) to Wing Chun history was based on one reference in a book about the Chinese opera that had nothing to do with Wing Chun.

The whole VT story from start to Leung Jan needs a fair degree of gullability to swallow. I would tend just to start from what we know and disregard the rest. The whole idea of a rebel system becoming part and parcel of the establishment just seems very unbelievable. Of course when the communists came to power and the nationalists got driven out, making up such stories became very popular.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have the manual, but the guy is still alive and living in Boston...many people know the GiYiquan..My sihing learnt it from my teacher.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the manual, but the guy is still alive and living in Boston...

I think he meant proof of its historical existence.

It's not the 1970's anymore. Why believe in a secret Chinatown kung-fu style that only verifiably stems from a single white dude who wrote a phoney history on it?

many people know the GiYiquan..My sihing learnt it from my teacher.

How come no Chinese people unrelated to this guy seem to know about it? 0 hits on the Chinese search engine.

The name even seems suspect to me. 古義 forms the word for "ancient meaning", as in the original or etymological meaning of a word, as opposed to its modern use, or; the traditional interpretation of a text.

Very nonsensical name for a martial art. No Chinese would think "ancient righteousness" if you didn't tell them to separate the characters.

Since "the guy" has opened the style to the public, why don't they upload a video showcasing it, so we can have a look? Maybe ask your si-hing to show a bit on your channel.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
^It's not like he'd have to do a seminar, either. A brief section of a form would suffice.

Latest Discussions