Learning Tang Yik Pole

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have a small group I have been sharing the Tang Yik Pole method with. I have done a series of Lessons so that would have something to refer to. I've made the first one "public", so check it out.

If anyone is truly interested in learning the Tang Yik Pole, and not just wanting to look out of curiosity, just PM me and we can likely work something out.

Keith

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keith, what would you say the weight distribution is between back vs front once you are in the basic posture/stance?
80/20?
90/10?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
90/10 would probably be ideal, but it really ends up being more 80/20. The weight transfers to the lead leg momentarily while doing the footwork because the weight shifts are one of the things that powers the pole, but it always returns to the back leg as much as possible.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@KPM
What is the rear hand position in tang yik form when doing the spearing/thrust?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, seems that my temporary ban must be over. The following is a clip I shot last weekend and was intending to post then:

Given the actions of the moderators here recently, I likely won't be spending as much time in the forum. For the life of me I don't understand why they fail to see who the real trouble-makers here are!

When I discovered I was banned, I posted that video over in KFO instead. Guess who followed me over there to start another argument??? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if interested in Tang Yik pole, just PM me.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for making these videos. One of the most valuable contributions I've seen in a while. I find some time later and PM you with some questions.

Welcome back.

Reactions: KPM

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have a small group I have been sharing the Tang Yik Pole method with. I have done a series of Lessons so that would have something to refer to. I've made the first one "public", so check it out.

If anyone is truly interested in learning the Tang Yik Pole, and not just wanting to look out of curiosity, just PM me and we can likely work something out.

Keith
Who taught you the pole form?

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sifu Michael Tang in Hong Kong.
I like Sifu Michael Tang's version of the pole.

Apparently, Tang Yik was his "Grand-uncle". I bet you got some great insight about Tang Yik's past. So much history there.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like Sifu Michael Tang's version of the pole.

Apparently, Tang Yik was his "Grand-uncle". I bet you got some great insight about Tang Yik's past. So much history there.

Yes indeed! Tang Yik actually lived with Michael Tang's family for a good while.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess that's why you continue to have problems in various forums. You don't have enough insight to recognize the difference between carrying on a polite discussion and being argumentative.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess that's why you continue to have problems in various forums. You don't have enough insight to recognize the difference between carrying on a polite discussion and being argumentative.

Appreciate the concern, but I have no problems in any forum.

A third-party review of that thread states:

This has been one of the most informative threads I have viewed here in recent times. Thank you all.

I think if you were a little less concerned with reputation, you'd take the newly learned information back to discuss with your sifu, instead of getting all offended when Tang Yik was shown to perform the exact method you ignorantly criticized in the Yip Man system, although granted you were looking at some poor examples.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ You have certainly had problems in this forum! And Tang Yik was not doing exactly what I was talking about. You said so yourself! I was talking about full supination as being a weak grip. You pointed out that not everyone uses that grip and that you yourself do a half-way between grip. Then you pointed out that Tang Yik uses the same grip. Again, you are so caught up in trying to win arguments, that you miss the discussion. :rolleyes:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Return to the original subject and keep the conversation polite and professional. Personal shots will result in accounts being suspended or banned.

Mark A Cochran
Dirty Dog
MT Senior Moderator

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tang Yik was not doing exactly what I was talking about. You said so yourself! I was talking about full supination as being a weak grip. You pointed out that not everyone uses that grip and that you yourself do a half-way between grip. Then you pointed out that Tang Yik uses the same grip. Again, you are so caught up in trying to win arguments, that you miss the discussion. :rolleyes:

You were criticizing several aspects of the shoulder height thrust with rotation in the YM system (not just the grip), but because you had only seen it done poorly on Youtube and didn't know Tang Yik also used the same method.

I'm not even arguing with you. Just sharing info. It is what it is. There's nothing to argue about.

Just take the info and do what you want with it. Ask your sifu why you guys do it differently, train with it to test the pros and cons (I gave some training ideas on that thread), or ignore it and keep doing what you do if you don't care why the "King of the Weng Chun Long Pole" used that method.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing but the original subject, i.e. the content of KPM's lesson clips on the Tang Yik pole, has been discussed...?

Whenever a thread has degenerated into personal attacks, a generic warning is certainly appropriate.

As DD stated, I'm simply going to ask that people keep this thread civil, and on-topic. People are free to disagree, and yes, even go after the message being given, but attacking the messenger is forbidden.

Latest Discussions