Aikido hate

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those are numbers that have been reported. 1800 psi is a lot, but maybe possible in a controlled test...not an actual fight..

If you figure Tyson's fist's striking area is 2 square inches then he is producing roughly 900 pounds of force with his punch.
no those are number that have been made up based on the punch a meter in rocky iv. If you think other wise post some credible source. You don't measure force in psi, you measure force in pounds or kj.you measure pressure in psi . If Mr tyson could exert a pressure of 1800 psi on fist area of 6 sq inches, that would mean the force in parted to the target was 6 x1800 which is about 11000 pounds force about the same as a small bomb or indeed the incredible hulk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
no those are number that have been made up based on the punch a meter in rocky iv. If you think other wise post some credible source. You don't measure force in psi, you measure force in pounds or kj.you measure pressure in psi . If Mr tyson could exert a pressure of 1800 psi on fist area of 6 sq inches, that would mean the force in parted to the target was 6 x1800 which is about 11000 pounds force about the same as a small bomb or indeed the incredible hulk

That right. I got the equation backwards. Pressure=Force/Area....so Force=Pressure*Area

Maybe they are doing the same and getting the two mixed up.

1800 pounds of force generated at 450 psi.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That right. I got the equation backwards. Pressure=Force/Area....so Force=Pressure*Area

Maybe they are doing the same and getting the two mixed up.

1800 pounds of force generated at 450 psi.
as soon as your source doesn't understand the unit of measurement involved, there a very good chance they just made the whole thing up.
if any one can post can actual source report on Mr tysons punching power being 1800 pounds il back down.
frank Bruno who had a notably hard punch was apparently measure at 900 lbs force, which pretty impressive. I cant find any credable source that iron mikes punch was ever measured at all, other than the wild claims that abound

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
as soon as your source doesn't understand the unit of measurement involved, there a very good chance they just made the whole think up.

Not my source just the numbers reported just like your google search.

Your article is probably right though about it just being made up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not my source just the numbers reported just like your google search.

Your article is probably right though about it just being made up.
I know it wasn't yours, I was talking to the other guy whilst quoting your post, me bad

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

An oft-cited 1985 study of Frank Bruno, who'd go on to be WBC heavyweight champ, showed he could punch with a force of 920 pounds in the lab.

Researchers extrapolated that to a real-life blow of 1,420 pounds, enough to accelerate his opponent's head at a rate of 53 g — that is, 53 times the force of gravity.

Tyson had more horses than Frankie.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An oft-cited 1985 study of Frank Bruno, who'd go on to be WBC heavyweight champ, showed he could punch with a force of 920 pounds in the lab.

Researchers extrapolated that to a real-life blow of 1,420 pounds, enough to accelerate his opponent's head at a rate of 53 g — that is, 53 times the force of gravity.

Point still remains... if you don't know how hard a fist is moving... it is unsound tactically to try to catch it.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
as soon as your source doesn't understand the unit of measurement involved, there a very good chance they just made the whole thing up.
if any one can post can actual source report on Mr tysons punching power being 1800 pounds il back down.
frank Bruno who had a notably hard punch was apparently measure at 900 lbs force, which pretty impressive. I cant find any credable source that iron mikes punch was ever measured at all, other than the wild claims that abound

In 1983 my old teacher was in Brownsville Texas at a tournament, his teacher GM Wannik Yi did a jumping double knife-hand strike and broke a steel truck leaf spring.

It was recorded on video, and I have seen the video at Yi's dojang in Austin TX.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

QUOTE:
In the movie Rocky IV, Ivan Drago registers a 2,150-psi punch.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

extrapolated it how? Show the working out, how is a fight punch harder than a lab punch.?
I'm still waiting for this test you said mike took to be evidenced

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
extrapolated it how? Show the working out, how is a fight punch harder than a lab punch.?
I'm still waiting for this test you said mike took to be evidenced

Actually, never said he took a test, I posted a quote. I am looking for the data, as quoted from, by the reporting source
Www.reference.com

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Of note, that was the hardest strike record at ESPN's lab.

The following net research as I have found:
so, let us take that as an example and see what the body can withstand:

Biomechanical injury tolerance levels:
Throat- 300 lbs of force
Frontal bone ( forehaed)- 1900 lbs
Back of head ( occiptal)- 2100 lbs
Temporal - 1400 lbs
Zygomatic-800 lbs
mandible - 800 lbs
maxilla - 500 lbs
Lat. Maxilla - 700 lbs
"nasal bone"- 200 lbs
Cervical vertebra - 500 lbs
Crown of head - 1350 lbs
area above the ear - 650 lbs
sternum with 4" defelction ( penetration) - 960 lbs

ribs - 400 lbs ( 1-3 ribs are the hardest, 4-9 the most common to fracture

The values were taken by doing impact studies on cadavers.

Other things I have found.. small bones break far easier then large bones. The weaker bones break at about 25 psi.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

On the Fight science show, specifically the MMA episode that featured Tito Ortiz, Dean Lister, Randy Couture and Bas Rutten.

They looked at different strikes, including elbows, punches, and kicks.

Randy landed a straight punch that had about 500 pounds (227kg) of pressure behind it, while Bas did a hook that had about 1200 (545kg).

Bas also did a Thai-style roundhouse kick that was over 2000 lbs (909kg).

They also showed that a good body slam can generate over 2000 lbs of force.

And most surprisingly, that ground-n-pound strikes can generate even more force than standing ones can! Randy was putting out around 2000 lbs of force in some of his seated GnP strikes

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the old band, The Supremes, taught a lot of strikers how to punch in two man sets in dojos across the USA..

Yeah, I can catch those too. And you can take all the psi stuff you want and extrapolate anything you want from them. But they don't have anything, not thing one, to do with fighting.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[QUOTE="TSDTexan, post: 1830134, member:

Randy landed a straight punch that had about 500 pounds (227kg) of pressure behind it,
[/QUOTE]

it doesnt matter how many times we go through this, you still mixing up pressure and force

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The average professional heavy weight boxer hits at between 1,200 to 1,700 pounds per square inch, or psi. Legendary boxer Mike Tyson had a punch that was measured at 1,800 psi, or almost one ton of force per square inch.

I know golden gloves guys who have metered higher.

Catching a punch is foolishness imo.
But whatever floats your goat.
here youR post were you said iron mike had his punch MEASURED,. Your not quoting anything your making a direct claim. Now do you have some credible evidence or not, that someone tested mike and measured his punch force