Aikido hate

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of note, that was the hardest strike record at ESPN's lab.

The following net research as I have found:
so, let us take that as an example and see what the body can withstand:

Biomechanical injury tolerance levels:
Throat- 300 lbs of force
Frontal bone ( forehaed)- 1900 lbs
Back of head ( occiptal)- 2100 lbs
Temporal - 1400 lbs
Zygomatic-800 lbs
mandible - 800 lbs
maxilla - 500 lbs
Lat. Maxilla - 700 lbs
"nasal bone"- 200 lbs
Cervical vertebra - 500 lbs
Crown of head - 1350 lbs
area above the ear - 650 lbs
sternum with 4" defelction ( penetration) - 960 lbs

ribs - 400 lbs ( 1-3 ribs are the hardest, 4-9 the most common to fracture

The values were taken by doing impact studies on cadavers.

Other things I have found.. small bones break far easier then large bones. The weaker bones break at about 25 psi.
Interesting stats. Do you have a link for a source on those numbers?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
here youR post were you said iron mike had his punch MEASURED,. Your not quoting anything your making a direct claim. Now do you have some credible evidence or not, that someone tested mike and measured his punch force

Cut and paste. It was not my statement. See
How hard does a boxer punch in PSI?.

Please forgive me if I gave that impression.
it was not my intention.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[QUOTE="TSDTexan, post: 1830134, member:

Randy landed a straight punch that had about 500 pounds (227kg) of pressure behind it,

it doesnt matter how many times we go through this, you still mixing up pressure and force[/QUOTE]

Jobo, I will agree you wrt with my loose and fast use of terms, here.

Thank you for pointing it out.
I will try to be more precise on term use here.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cut and paste. It was not my statement. See
How hard does a boxer punch in PSI?.

Please forgive me if I gave that impression.
it was not my intention.

OK, so in the link it said this as well...

FULL ANSWER
Pounds per square inch is usually measured using pressure gauges, but for boxing measurements, special machines are used. These machines calculate how hard a punch is by measuring the power of the punch at impact, calculating the size of the impact zone, and converting that to psi. So if a punch is 1,500 psi and covers four square inches of space, it is the equivalent of 6,000 pounds of impact

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, and also, your job as uke is to deliver a sincere attack, and then be neutral....don't resist, don't be a dick, just be neutral, allow nage to find where your balance is, and then when you reach the tipping point, take the fall.
I'd agree with this, but for me it stops short of the complete picture of what I want out of my uke, depending on what I'm "learning" at the time. When in "learning kata" mode, it's precisely right. Attack with intention, react as the best martial artist int he room would as to bringing yourself back on-balance and good posture, and... be there. That is to learn and feel where the technique is supposed to live.

However, once the info of the above has been learned, and variations on the entry into it explored, then I do want my uke to (here's that progressive resistance thing again) start to be that dick, start to not comply, start trying to get away from the technique, or even yet, to counterattack or to continue with the next available attack to them.

Granted, that's getting into randori.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do ! Or at least have
Yes. You're not unique either Jobo. When yu get down to the Newtonian physics of a punch, when thrown full power, it's coming at you in the speed range of a baseball (though some guy's fists are the size o softballs), so it is not as hard to catch a punch as people think, especially if the catching action is performed with both hands. It can be effective, but I don't personally like it. It's a personal thing, like my preference for the open hand strikes now instead of fists. I used to use fists all the time, and they worked just fine, then I started using open hand stuff and ended up feeling.... better about that. No clue why.

But, yes, catching a punch isn't that difficult, though keeping a hold of it when the person wants it back might be.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as soon as your source doesn't understand the unit of measurement involved, there a very good chance they just made the whole thing up.
if any one can post can actual source report on Mr tysons punching power being 1800 pounds il back down.
frank Bruno who had a notably hard punch was apparently measure at 900 lbs force, which pretty impressive. I cant find any credable source that iron mikes punch was ever measured at all, other than the wild claims that abound
I think Mike was pretty fearsome, Jobo... Personally, I'd measure force by how hard the guy's head bounces off of his own shoulder when Mike hits him. Just for fun, check out the video link below, it's a quick Top 10 I think of Mike's fastest knockouts. The Frazier one is the one I think I remember the best. All of them are (the entire fights aren't in the video) under 1 minute!

Info: http://boxrec.com/boxer/000474

Video:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much force does an aikidoist exert when they blend?
I don't know how much an aikidoist uses, but I use as little as possible. We should ask Gerry.

Aikidoist. Ack. I guess it's better than Aikidoer.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I couldn't get the video to imbed. Learning curve, y'all. Trying again. It's worth watching if for nothing else than the "Wow..." factor of how hard Mike Tyson could hit.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know how much an aikidoist uses, but I use as little as possible. We should ask Gerry.

Aikidoist. Ack. I guess it's better than Aikidoer.
We learned in another thread that aikidoka is a senior student. Aikidoist is more correct.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We learned in another thread that aikidoka is a senior student. Aikidoist is more correct.
More correct. Says you.

Well, actually... says them. 20 years in and I've never heard the term aikidoist until this very board. A person is a judoka as soon as they put on a judogi and get on the mat, not a very good judoka but a judoka nonetheless. Aikido person, same-same imo.

Again. Aikidoist. Ack. Would they be Wing Chunists? Karaticians? Muay Thai'i?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[QU OTE="JP3, post: 1830598, member: 34310"]More correct. Says you.

Well, actually... says them. 20 years in and I've never heard the term aikidoist until this very board. A person is a judoka as soon as they put on a judogi and get on the mat, not a very good judoka but a judoka nonetheless. Aikido person, same-same imo.

Again. Aikidoist. Ack. Would they be Wing Chunists? Karaticians? Muay Thai'i?[/QUOTE]

Ahem... karateka... from the first class I took.

But Ka is specifically a Japanese suffix. So I wouldn't be saying Mui thai ka.

Also!
I am a tangsoodoin.

(And recently, I became a Hongsoodoin...in
Okinawan Hong Soo Do.)

In is the Korean equivalent suffix to Ka.

Screenshot_20170416-182719.jpg

------- Empty -------- Hand/Fist -------- Person

The online Japanese English dictionary
Romajidesu.com said this about Ka:

Meaning of 家 in Japanese | RomajiDesu Japanese dictionary

ka 【
家 Kanji

1. (suf) -ist (used after a noun indicating someone's occupation, pursuits, disposition, etc.); -er→Related words: 政治家. My response 政治家 which would be politician or statesman.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahem... karateka... from the first class I took.

But Ka is specifically a Japanese suffix. So I wouldn't be saying Mui thai ka.

In is the Korean equivalent suffix to Ka
Right. Karateka from Day One. My understanding as well. Karateka. Judoka. Aikidoka.

No clue what Muay Tahiian would be in Thai.

Latest Discussions