A sad state of affairs...

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by Hanzou, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ShotoNoob

ShotoNoob Master Black Belt

Oh, the sad state of affairs. And Buddy? How effective of you.

2. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

What on earth are you talking about?....have you been drinking or something your posts don't makes any sense at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. ShotoNoob

Perfectly (you).

5. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Thank god I'm not the only one who didn't understand I was worried my head was having issues (not even joking. I'm diabetic and that causes the mind to not work properly at times)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ShotoNoob

Sorry to hear about your diabetes.

7. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

If the earlier Gracie vids were bogus, how did Royce win the first UFC, and how did their fighting system become the basis of modern MMA?

The least you could do is give us the times where this takedown actually took place. No one is going to sit through a 10 minute video to see a 3 second takedown attempt.

8. ShotoNoob

Gawd, these were easy.

Promotion.

OMGawd, how could I??? It's at the very beginning of the fight. The Gracie's did a great service by bringing the takedown threat to us, making it front & content. I don't think I was at my 1st TMA school more than 5 or 6 weeks, however, when I asked the head instructor about this. I didn't need the Gracie's to tell me 'cause (1) I thought of it on my own; (2) the school like most all TMA schools taught a self defense technical segment.

The even better moral is that will all this "modern, evolved, super-blended" WMMA we have today, the MMA striker gets taken down very near the fights' outset. How apropos.... Super MMA training we have. Give Dojo Americana, the fresh face a call, they'll work it out for ya!

Dojo Americana's just trying to help out too, and let the public they are in the MMA training business.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. ShotoNoob

Question for ya. Doesn't BJJ have take down's? So isn't the OP vid one-sided?

10. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

If you read this guys posts in the voice of Master Ken it all makes way more sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ShotoNoob

Yep, voice of reason arrives.

Still no direct discussion. Master Ken!

EDIT: Next it''l be Barbie Doll.:eek:

12. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

So MMA has been promoting Bjj for 25 years? For what purpose?

[​IMG]

13. ShotoNoob

What are you on about? CARTOONS.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  14. Anarax

Anarax 2nd Black Belt

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. I'm not talking about the technical dynamic of grappling vs striking. I'm referring to the psychological ability of overcoming the fear of getting hit, which applies to both grapplers and strikers. Knowing the techniques isn't enough, the mind must be able to commit when faced with danger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anarax

Anarax 2nd Black Belt

Muhammad Ali was mentally conditioned to fight the top heavyweights of his era(Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Patterson, etc). A striker of his caliber would be able to position himself to pull off grappling techniques.

16. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

I am so confused by the last two pages in here. I want to provide 'direct discussion', but I have no idea what's being argued, or if I agree/disagree with it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

The difference is that Gjj was traditionally taught how to deal with strikers and grapplers, which led to modern MMA grappling which ALSO teaches how to deal with strikers and grapplers. The problem in traditional striking MAs is that they don't teach you how to deal with grapplers (much less modern grappling) at all.

I do believe that even modern exponents of traditional striking arts still believe that you can just kick a grappler in the face when they're coming in for the takedown, or that their main defense against a grappler is to "never get taken down in the first place".

Famous last words. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    It would, wouldn't it? Usually when I read something I just read it. But sometimes I hear it in a particular voice, like how you mentioned Master Ken. But with this one I only hear the voice of Chandler Bing, a character on the old Friends TV show.

And I always liked Chandler Bing, so it's rather enjoyable.

I mean no offense by any of this, it's just the way I hear it in my foolish head.

19. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

I think grappling is just fundamentally more cumulative or progressive. If I punch a guy and we break off. It takes a while for that to be my advantage.

If I grapple I get the advantage right away. So if you score two punches but I get underhooks. I am winning.

But striking is the short cut. So if I had to fight for underhooks. I could just cheat and punch you in the head rather than fart around grappling for them.

I think it is more about understanding the nature of striking and grappling rather than them really being competing forces.

In that very first video. The striker is using punching as a grappling tool. He is not trying to lay anyone out. He is just frustrating and forcing mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Since it's very difficult (if not impossible) to punch to the ground when you stand on your feet, trying to use striking to deal with grappling is not always possible.

If a wrestler uses stiff arms and rotate both arms in circles in front of him (without striking intend), it will confuse the striker big time. But it will give the wrestler a good chance to obtain the clinch that he is looking for.