Article on Judo and BJJ

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this thread would have some movement if you expressed your thoughts on both arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even top sport judoka specialize in just 3-5 throws that they know inside and out, and then develop combinations between them. For example, most judo throws and trips have classic combinations where the opponent defending the first attack will leave an opening for the 2nd technique.
This is a very important principle in the throwing art. For example, you can use single leg to set up more than 10 different throws such as:

- single leg, downward pull.
- single leg, foot sweep.
- single leg, inner hook.
- single leg, twist and spring.
- single leg, leg lift.
- single leg, hand block.
- single leg, hand harmony.
- single leg, embracing.
- single leg, knee pressing.
- single leg, leg block.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo is an awesome art from everything I've read about it. I think in your later years, it's better to study BJJ and add in other lower risk takedowns either from wrestling or low risk Judo takedowns. Judo requires a lot of time invested into throws, which can be really effective, but very hard on your body. It's a lot of time invested for perfecting throws. The learning curve seems to be high.

I found this interesting:
"Learn to deal with stances that are overly defensive. Most BJJ matches will have both competitors in a bent over defensive posture that would be a defensive penalty in judo. Secondly, double leg takedowns are popular in BJJ but prohibited in the current judo rules, so the BJJ player must use a lower stance to defend against that attack. Judoka in contrast use a very strong upright stance."

Wrestlers are in a more hunched over stance, which is more defensive.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Judo is an awesome art from everything I've read about it. I think in your later years, it's better to study BJJ and add in other lower risk takedowns either from wrestling or low risk Judo takedowns. Judo requires a lot of time invested into throws, which can be really effective, but very hard on your body. It's a lot of time invested for perfecting throws. The learning curve seems to be high.

I found this interesting:
"Learn to deal with stances that are overly defensive. Most BJJ matches will have both competitors in a bent over defensive posture that would be a defensive penalty in judo. Secondly, double leg takedowns are popular in BJJ but prohibited in the current judo rules, so the BJJ player must use a lower stance to defend against that attack. Judoka in contrast use a very strong upright stance."

Wrestlers are in a more hunched over stance, which is more defensive.

You could probably say the learning curve is pretty high in lots of arts, but otherwise I would agree with this. BJJ guys will favor a lower stance that keeps their hips back. It makes perfect sense since the sport rule set doesn't discourage it and a lower center of gravity = more stable.Throws that require turning in and "loading" the uke, like most hip throws, are just harder to setup when someone is being really defensive and keeping their hips back and low. When I tryto put Judo techniques to use against BJJ guys, I have better luck with attacking the legs, or have to chaining leg attacks together to really force a reaction to setup a throw that requires turning in. But my Judo is weak. Never underestimate a good Judoka in a BJJ match.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great article!
I would like to add my two cents as a Danzan Ryu guy. Learn to fall correctly. There are quite a few counter techniques that can be done, while your are being thrown. However, you have to be comfortable taking the fall. When I show some of these mid throw reversals to Judo guys, they don't like them as you land properly and the ref shouts "Ippon!" Even though you choke him out right after or bar his arm right after. Since we are discussing BJJ (and possibly other non-judo grappling) these mid throw reversals start to come in handy, because there is always someone out there who can throw you. Why not come out of the throw with a submission? Anyway, the first step is to get comfortable falling. Once you are no longer concerned with taking the fall, you can start learning what you can do while going over.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frankly if you're over 35, I would avoid taking up serious Judo practice. The risk of injury dramatically increases the older you get, and the chance of injury will be compounded over time since you'll be making beginner mistakes as you're performing throws and breakfalls.

Obviously if doing Judo is one of your lifelong ambitions, by all means, but if your goal is to simply learn a grappling art for health or self defense, I would look elsewhere.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly if you're over 35, I would avoid taking up serious Judo practice. The risk of injury dramatically increases the older you get, and the chance of injury will be compounded over time since you'll be making beginner mistakes as you're performing throws and breakfalls.

Obviously if doing Judo is one of your lifelong ambitions, by all means, but if your goal is to simply learn a grappling art for health or self defense, I would look elsewhere.

If he over 35 absolute rubbish total crap ....are you saying that anyone over 35 cannot take up Judo seriously ...................are you for real? jeez a person over 35 i just as capable of learning break falls as one under 35 ...you are amazing ...truly ....sorry but no and just bigger no any person can take up an Art and at any age and do it seriously

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he over 35 absolute rubbish total crap ....are you saying that anyone over 35 cannot take up Judo seriously ...................are you for real? jeez a person over 35 i just as capable of learning break falls as one under 35 ...you are amazing ...truly ....sorry but no and just bigger no any person can take up an Art and at any age and do it seriously

Did you actually read what I wrote? I simply said that I don't recommend serious Judo practice once you're over 35. I even said later in the same post that if you really want to do it, go ahead, just recognize that you have a pretty high chance of getting injured due to the rigors of the sport.

Please actually read my post before you quote me and fly off the handle.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you actually read what I wrote? I simply said that I don't recommend serious Judo practice once you're over 35. I even said later in the same post that if you really want to do it, go ahead, just recognize that you have a pretty high chance of getting injured due to the rigors of the sport.

Please actually read my post before you quote me and fly off the handle.

Yes I did .....read it and what do you term as serious Judo practice ....as people can be serious at any age in MA .................You wouldn't recommend omg .... seriously are you really serious that people over 35 cannot practice judo or take it up seriously over 35 ...............?????????????????

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm "guessing" judo would have a much higher injury rate than BJJ, and that's the general view I get from reading about it. If you're not careful, hip replacemetns, knee injuries etc. could be a problem down the road. However, I think that can apply to any rigorous physical activity and can also depend on genetics and how well you take care of yourself.

I've been enjoying BJJ, but it is a bit ground heavy for me. I liked my 6am class this morning which had only 4 students LOL. If you prefer standing takedowns and pins and not so much submissions then, I'm sure Judo is the way to go. If you like submissions and not much standing then BJJ is the way to go.

I'm 42 and in average shape I'd say. My flexibility is awful and always has been going back to the days when I played soccer as a kid.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm "guessing" judo would have a much higher injury rate than BJJ, and that's the general view I get from reading about it. If you're not careful, hip replacemetns, knee injuries etc. could be a problem down the road. However, I think that can apply to any rigorous physical activity and can also depend on genetics and how well you take care of yourself.

I've been enjoying BJJ, but it is a bit ground heavy for me. I liked my 6am class this morning which had only 4 students LOL. If you prefer standing takedowns and pins and not so much submissions then, I'm sure Judo is the way to go. If you like submissions and not much standing then BJJ is the way to go.

I'm 42 and in average shape I'd say. My flexibility is awful and always has been going back to the days when I played soccer as a kid.

Yeah, my main point is that over 35 you need to be extremely careful if you're starting Judo practice. Obviously if you've been doing it since you were a kid, it's not a huge deal, but if its your first time doing it, you could be in for some serious injuries as you progress in the sport. That isn't a knock against the art, but people should really know what they're getting into as an older adult looking to begin Judo practice. One wrong fall can put you out of practice for a very long time.

Part of the reason Bjj has edged Judo out in the US is because it is less hard on the body (and the sheer size of practitioners and talent pool of wrestling in the states).

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Bro if you wanna try Judo then go for it on't let anyone put you off at all ...got try it

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting:

Sport Science: Jiu-Jitsu Competitors Lowest Injury Rate Among Combat Athletes

Injury Rate per 1000 Athlete-Exposures:

• MMA : 236-286
  • Taekwondo: 20.5-139.5
  • Judo : 25.3-130.6
  • Wrestling : 9.0-30.7
  • BJJ : 9.2

*There are many many people though that train in Judo that are in their 70's. It can be done but certainly comes with a higher risk.

Judo is not necessarily a sport btw it first a Martial Art. ang if you train diligently and to your highest ability then you are taking it seriously .......It depends on you the school and I doubt very much until you are looked on as able to take the hard falls and do the more difficult break falls I very much doubt any one would put you down hard ...ok accidents do happen but hey you could slip in bath tub fall and crack your skull...............just go try it if you are keen to do same

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

Comments are interesting.

hhahaha

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh no if you wanna try Judo then you try it ....don't go with what @Hanzou says just go try and see if you like and want etc

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, my main point is that over 35 you need to be extremely careful if you're starting Judo practice. Obviously if you've been doing it since you were a kid, it's not a huge deal, but if its your first time doing it, you could be in for some serious injuries as you progress in the sport. That isn't a knock against the art, but people should really know what they're getting into as an older adult looking to begin Judo practice. One wrong fall can put you out of practice for a very long time.

Part of the reason Bjj has edged Judo out in the US is because it is less hard on the body (and the sheer size of practitioners and talent pool of wrestling in the states).

I started Judo at 34 and am in the Ultraheavy weight division. Aside from some sprained toes, bruised ribs once, and a sore tailbone after a tournament - I had no injuries in a year's time. Nearly a year of BJJ has given me numerous small injuries (bruised ribs again, seriously jammed fingers, tweaked knee and shoulder). Its anecdotal and a small sample size for sure, but I think the notion of Judo being that dangerous is a bit inflated. Unless you are reckless or have really bad mats.

I do think that BJJ can be practiced in such a way that is very technical and softer; i.e. you can control the intensity. You can't say the same for Judo. You're either getting thrown, or not getting thrown. Not a lot of in between. I'll admit that.

Latest Discussions