a quick anecdote

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
before moving to denver, i was telling my judo/jujitsu coach that there was a dan zan ryu school near where i was moving, & that i planned on visiting them.

"oh, i have a shodan in that style".

"really? why don't you list it on the website under your credentials?"

he shrugged, "it's only a shodan."

i like to think of that sometimes, it helps me keep things in perspective.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good perspective to have!

FYI, I took classes at Denwakan Wado Karate in Lakewood back in the late 1980's. Didn't do much with it, sadly. My MA training was ignored until just recently, here in Michigan. However, I remember the months I spent at Denwakan fondly.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't think i've come across a wady-ryu dojo in the area yet. i've started at an enshin school that i'm really enjoying.

jf

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, I dunno Jarrod. I think you should be proud of such an accomplishment , not holler from the rooftop and scream in in peoples faces. But be proud of the time, effort and dedication it took to have your teacher grant you the title "shodan".
lori

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm a nidan :p

i see what you're saying though. i'm very proud of what i've done, but it's important to remember the learning has just started.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the bits of observed wisdom in my dojo is that students who quit tend to do so at certain points. Some attend once and quit. Some stay a month and quit. Some stay until they make their first belt and quit. Those that don't quit after their first belt tend to stay until they make shodan - and then quit.

Something about making their first dan seems to make some folks think that's the end of their training. I know that doesn't apply to anyone here, just thought it worthy of mention.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's pretty much exactly what i did with judo, although it was with the understanding that i had only grasped the basics. i love the art of judo but don't like the sport as much, if that makes sense, & it's very hard to move up without competing.

jf

Moebius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see these perspectives. I have always been told and believe that shodan just means you have mastered the basics.

Bill is right. I have lost count of how many student have gotten to shodan and quit in the dojos I have taught and trained. Few stick with it. It is a shame when people are so stuck on ranks.

Last edited:

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have a new point to add to my martial arts goals: to stick around and train and teach long enough to say, "It's only a shodan." :)

Hey, Jarrod

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I've been training for 13 years, and I was never promoted past shodan. I'm very proud of having earned my black belt. I worked hard for it, and I'm sure you did too.

Moebius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've been training for 13 years, and I was never promoted past shodan. I'm very proud of having earned my black belt. I worked hard for it, and I'm sure you did too.

I would be more proud of the 13 years of training. That is much more important than the rank, in my opinion. I have known a lot of excellent karateka who were never promoted very high for political reasons but were wealths of knowledge.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this speaks well of your teacher. Way too many people are out there are overinflating their resume, so to speak, and its refreshing to see a person that has a good sense of perspective on rank.

I view the shodan is a strange light, compared to a lot of people. The way I see it when I promote a student to shodan I'm telling that student that they are ready for self-directed study. They have a firm enough foundation in the art that they can begin to explore the facets that interest them and the journey ow is about finding your personal expression of the arts. As a teacher, I'm still there to assist them and provide guidance but they are now responsible for the direction of their training. Viewing the rank in that manner has seems to keep ego in check.

Kudos to your teacher.
Mark

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more proud of the 13 years of training. That is much more important than the rank, in my opinion. I have known a lot of excellent karateka who were never promoted very high for political reasons but were wealths of knowledge.
It all depends...

Some people train for 13 years. Others have one year of training, 13 times.

Too many see shodan/black sash/black belt as the goal, rather than a stop along the way. It'd be kind of like a doctor or lawyer who got the degree, and stopped, and never practiced or did anything with the degree -- though the analogy is far from perfect.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've often heard that 1 in 100 sticks it out to Shodan, and only one in 1000 Shodans sticks it out to Nidan. No stats to back it up, but it certainly seems possible.

Latest Discussions