my visit to a danzan ryu dojo

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
well the title says it. since moving to denver, i've been to a bjj class (great stuff, but i miss throwing) & a judo club (great judo, not much newaza, very far away). everyone at the danzan ryu place had a great attitude & good technique. they are a bit light on randori, but the instructor i spoke to was very eager to incorporate more of it. to be honest, there is only so much yawara i can train, but it is interesting & i plan on sticking around for a bit & seeing how things develop. if i can get a few of the guys interesting in some light to medium sparring, i think it will be a great place for me.

jf

Sounds like you found a place to get some good work outs at!
icon14.gif

happy to hear that your visit there was a goodone.
Keep us updated as to how things go

i've been to this class three times now, each time they are allowing a little more time for randori. monday i'm meeting one of the black belts an hour before class for a randori session. the upper belts know quite a few submissions but don't quite understand how to set them up on the ground, but i suspect they will catch on very quickly.

last class we trained some throws; they practice throws almost slow motion. this is good for me since i tend to power my throws a bit & often hurt my back in the process.

the yawara is some of the simplest & most direct i've come across. i sort of poo-pooed the hand arts during my early years in jujitsu, but the last few years i started to appreciate & explore it more & they certainly have a lot to offer in this department.

jf

Back