A question and a response that puzzled me

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
now I have a question:

If there are no 9th degrees in your organization, how do you get promoted...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised that GMs Sell & Vo are the only two American 9th Dans with KKW certs. It's been nearly 10 years since GM Sell tested for 9th Dan. I figured others would have come along by now.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
now I have a question:

If there are no 9th degrees in your organization, how do you get promoted...

The time honored way: self-promotion. :angel:

Most of the smaller American organizations had this to some degree in their past. Heck, I'm fairly sure luminaries like Jhoon Rhee or He Il Cho self-promoted themselves to 10th dan, even if they got a rubber stamp from some 'council of grandmasters' later on.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure who you're directing this to, but unless you're eigth dan, this isn't a problem.

Daniel

The time honored way: self-promotion. :angel:

Most of the smaller American organizations had this to some degree in their past. Heck, I'm fairly sure luminaries like Jhoon Rhee or He Il Cho self-promoted themselves to 10th dan, even if they got a rubber stamp from some 'council of grandmasters' later on.

directing this to my council of MT Grandmasters! ;)

we did step away from the original question quiet a bit, and I didn't want to start another thread... ^_^

I won't live long enough to get to 8th dan...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
directing this to my council of MT Grandmasters! ;)

we did step away from the original question quiet a bit, and I didn't want to start another thread... ^_^

I won't live long enough to get to 8th dan...
Why do you say that? You're younger than I am.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
now I have a question: If there are no 9th degrees in your organization, how do you get promoted...

There are many Korean born 9th Dan living in the United States. But as far as the Kukkiwon is concerned, you need an instructor recommendation for rank up to 7th Dan. For 8th and 9th Dan, no instructor recommendation is necessary. The Kukkiwon recognizes that many instructors who are 9th Dan do not wish to promote their students to the same rank as they are. So the Kukkiwon changed the rules such that an 8th or 9th Dan candidate isn't required to have a instructor recommendation for promotion.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck, I'm fairly sure luminaries like Jhoon Rhee or He Il Cho self-promoted themselves to 10th dan, even if they got a rubber stamp from some 'council of grandmasters' later on.

GM Jhoon Rhee was promoted to 9th Dan by GM LEE Won Kuk; he doesn't have Kukkiwon rank. GM CHO Hee Il is listed as a Kukkiwon 8th Dan in 1997, but I am pretty sure he is Kukkiwon 9th Dan at this point. GM Cho was one of those ITF instructors who received Kukkiwon dan through the ITF assimilation program. I believe he received Kukkiwon 7th Dan in the 1980's sometime.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised that GMs Sell & Vo are the only two American 9th Dans with KKW certs. It's been nearly 10 years since GM Sell tested for 9th Dan. I figured others would have come along by now.

GM Sell was way senior to all non-Korean practitioners. After him there is a huge gap, and maybe there are a handful of American born 8th Dan. The 1997 list has several 7th Dan, but they are older practitioners in their late 60's or 70's who I think stopped getting promoted. One problem is that for 8th and 9th Dan, you have to take a physical test in Korea at the Kukkiwon, and many practitioners are unwilling to do that, realizing they will probably flunk. You also are required to write a ten page thesis, which can be a tremendous problem for some.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which Kukkiwon Encyclopedia? I don't have that, and I would like to obtain it. Is that the exact title of the book?

It is at my school, I willget the exact name when I go back this evening for you.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Sell was way senior to all non-Korean practitioners. After him there is a huge gap, and maybe there are a handful of American born 8th Dan. The 1997 list has several 7th Dan, but they are older practitioners in their late 60's or 70's who I think stopped getting promoted. One problem is that for 8th and 9th Dan, you have to take a physical test in Korea at the Kukkiwon, and many practitioners are unwilling to do that, realizing they will probably flunk. You also are required to write a ten page thesis, which can be a tremendous problem for some.

I know that GM Sell was an early practioner, but I've heard of others as well. Perhaps they went independent years ago, perhaps there are other reasons as well. The trip to Korea & the thesis are just two reasons, I'm sure.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GM Jhoon Rhee was promoted to 9th Dan by GM LEE Won Kuk; he doesn't have Kukkiwon rank. GM CHO Hee Il is listed as a Kukkiwon 8th Dan in 1997, but I am pretty sure he is Kukkiwon 9th Dan at this point. GM Cho was one of those ITF instructors who received Kukkiwon dan through the ITF assimilation program. I believe he received Kukkiwon 7th Dan in the 1980's sometime.

I've seen promotional literature for events with the involvement of these men where a 10th dan is mentioned, something that is outside of the normal 9 max in Korean organizations.

In any case, I don't mean to detract from their accomplishments in any way. Jhoon Rhee is in my TKD lineage after all.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you say that? You're younger than I am.

Daniel

I am?

I did the math at one time, before I took a LONG break, in 'my' organization I would have been around 50 for 6th, add another 2 decades for 7th and 8th...

Though I have to say, having crossed the big 4 0 fifty does not look as scary - or far off - anymore...but ask me again in 7 years...

However...now wait, maybe in there somewhere is my answer...

I do believe the organization traces it's lineage back to the ITF...

anyhow, the founders just now got themselves the satin shawl for 8th degree...9 is supposed to be the max. I suppose barring any unforseen incidences, in about 8 years they get their 9th....

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen promotional literature for events with the involvement of these men where a 10th dan is mentioned, something that is outside of the normal 9 max in Korean organizations.

GM LEE Won Kuk issued at least two 10th Dan certificates. He wanted to give me one. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK I thought 10th was only for the Presdient of the KKW or when someone passes away? Can you explain how someone gets to 10th for me. Thanks

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, didn't Kim Un-Yong give Saramanch (former president of the IOC) an honorary 10th degree bb?

seems to cheapen the meaning to me.