A question and a response that puzzled me

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then it must have made you vomit when S.K. Pres. Lee gave Obama an honorary black belt. As well as when Jhoon Rhee gave honoray black belts to other presidents. We are not putting anyone up to God or even Demi-god status We are simply recognizing that somebody believed in TKD so much that they helped put it as a medal event in the olympics. Without his help it may have never acheived that status.

I believe he should be given an honorary 10th dan. He had nothing to gain from all of it. People...it is HONORARY. I really doubt he was out the next day opening up a dojang or even advertising it on his resume.

How about Elvis Presley's 7th Dan after only 5 years of training?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok this I dont agree with because 1 has an effect on the other. Since 1988 and TKD debuting in the olympics, More TKD school have popped up and advertised using the Olympic dream/free advertisement. In turn, more schools ment more TKD people. Not every person who walked into a school wanted to go to the olympics. But the ease and availability of a TKD school who popped up trying to cash in on the Olympic dream had an adverse effect on the number of people who began to study TKD.

So whether it was for sport or not, Art or not, the Olympics pushed More TKD schools into society which attracted more individuals to take TKD rather than Karate or Kung Fu.

Much like the Kung Fu craze hit when Bruce Lee came out and the Ninja Craze popped up Ninja schools....

How ever they (ART-Sport) are today cannot take away from the fact that TKD introduced INTO the OLYMPICS in 1988 cause a HUGE growth Spurt of WORLDWIDE TAEKWONDO Practitioners.
I agree with you for the most part, though there were considerable factors other than the olympics in the same time frame. Martial arts were incredibly popular in the eighties and by the end of the decade to the beginning of the ninties, martial arts had become much more mainstream and much more popular to entrepreneurs. There was an increase in pretty much all MA schools at that time, not just taekwondo.

Daniel

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
would anyone classify Roman-Grecco wrestling as a Martial Art? I mean, if Sumo wrestling is........

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about Elvis Presley's 7th Dan after only 5 years of training?
Presley's 7th dan came from Kang Rhee if I recall, and Ed Parker awarded him an honorary 8th. Presley had done quite a bit to finance the arts and if I'm not mistaken, paid for Rhee's school. Not sure of the training time, but five years is more than zero last I checked. And we're also not talking about a tenth dan either.

Daniel

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part, though there were considerable factors other than the olympics in the same time frame. Martial arts were incredibly popular in the eighties and by the end of the decade to the beginning of the ninties, martial arts had become much more mainstream and much more popular to entrepreneurs. There was an increase in pretty much all MA schools at that time, not just taekwondo.

Daniel

True, but had TKD not become an Olympic sport, I don't believe it would have grown as much as it did.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Presley's 7th dan came from Kang Rhee if I recall, and Ed Parker awarded him an honorary 8th. Presley had done quite a bit to finance the arts and if I'm not mistaken, paid for Rhee's school. Not sure of the training time, but five years is more than zero last I checked. And we're also not talking about a tenth dan either.

Daniel

Actually somewhere here on MT they is a post about Presley's training. I had not know HOW INVOLVED and into it he was. I too thought it was a "weekend course at the Y 1 summer" deal, but apparently he was a pretty serious practicioner.

Do a search. There were videos posted about who/what where/when.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Daniel

Lighten up folks. The King's mention was to ease the tension, Miguksaram got it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually somewhere here on MT they is a post about Presley's training. I had not know HOW INVOLVED and into it he was. I too thought it was a "weekend course at the Y 1 summer" deal, but apparently he was a pretty serious practicioner.

Do a search. There were videos posted about who/what where/when.
Presley was definitely more than a weekend warrior and was very into the arts. He really should not have been promoted to the rank that he was, but that does not diminish that he did practice and was known to be able to defend himself.

A reporter whose name escapes me (May Nann?) wrote a book about the time she spent with him and recounts him being attacked by a German Shepherd and killing the dog with a shuto.

Daniel

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True. But lets not forget Best of the Best now.

Daniel

now that movie was hands down a WIN because of the Rhee brothers.... had they not been in it, it would have been another "B" budget 80's film.

Can I give them a 10th DAN for inspiring me?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
now that movie was hands down a WIN because of the Rhee brothers.... had they not been in it, it would have been another "B" budget 80's film.

Well the story behind Best of the Best, was that they had another movie out called Ninja Turf, which was a very B movie....though I liked it. Anyway, Phillip overheard one of their students who saw the movie talk about how violent it was or how they couldn't believe that they would do something like. That was when Phillip got the idea to make Best of the Best to show Taekwondo in a more positive light.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I'll admit when I'm wrong, I don't mind, in fact, I'll even research into these things that I've never heard of, just to prove myself more wrong than I already am.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll admit when I'm wrong, I don't mind, in fact, I'll even research into these things that I've never heard of, just to prove myself more wrong than I already am.
You will be shocked in what you find. There are some interesting fighting systems out there. Enjoy the research. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You can do whatever you like, everybody else does. I am officially making you KING of giving out unofficial OFFICIAL 10TH DANS
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions