A question and a response that puzzled me

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can do whatever you like, everybody else does. I am officially making you KING of giving out unofficial OFFICIAL 10TH DANS
icon10.gif

here ye here ye....
I now pronounce ALL Martial Talk participants to be an Honorary 10th Dan Keyboard Master!!!!!!!
:asian:

Now pay me!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
here ye here ye....
I now pronounce ALL Martial Talk participants to be an Honorary 10th Dan Keyboard Master!!!!!!!
:asian:

Now pay me!

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

aight, that's all I can afford.
Ok, I throw in some hot chocolate!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I could I would give everyone 10th Dan, in the hopes that people could then relax and realize that when all is said and done, rank is meaningless.

But oftentimes you have to go through the whole process of rank to realize that, which is why if everyone had 10th Dan, then hopefully they would be over it.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I could I would give everyone 10th Dan, in the hopes that people could then relax and realize that when all is said and done, rank is meaningless.

But oftentimes you have to go through the whole process of rank to realize that, which is why if everyone had 10th Dan, then hopefully they would be over it.
My teacher, Sensei Sharkey, has a very similar outlook. He has told me numerous times that he would just love to give everyone who signs up a black belt their first day. Then they could just focus on learning and not care about the belt anymore.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.

All rank is essentially honorary. Hopefully, the holder of said rank is being honored for having mastered skills or for having made some contribution to the art, which Mr. Samarach certainly did. A tenth dan to a non practitioner raises my eyebrows, but lets be realistic; it is stated as being honorary, and regardless, the man isn't walking around claiming to be a taekwondo god. And nobody is under the illusion that he is a taekwondo god.

The only point that I really question is whether his individual contribution outstrips that of every other individual outside of Dr. Kim.

Certainly, his contribution is historical, so from that perspective, yes, it is very important. And certainly it promotes the art (art and sport, so that everyone is clear what I mean) on a very broad level.

Having said that, I still consider each school owner and each instructor who teaches the art day in and day out to be making the greatest contributions. And that goes for any art, not just taekwondo.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having said that, I still consider each school owner and each instructor who teaches the art day in and day out to be making the greatest contributions. And that goes for any art, not just taekwondo.Daniel

Fair enough.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel you last statement I completely agre with.:asian:

Latest Discussions