81 years for weed?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Psychadelic drugs were revered by ancient cultures. They played pivotal roles in ritual and allowed people to commune with their gods. A lot of mothers took drugs with their children in the past, fathers too.

There are even entire sects of Christianity in South America that take psychadelic drugs. And the drugs they take are more potent than LSD. Should their religions be made illegal?
Lots of things "revered" by ancient society are illegal and just wrong today. And I don't care what they do in South America I don't live there and have no control over their laws. I do care about what happens in South County here and I do have control over it. There are things we as a society today think are wrong and LSD dens downtown are one of them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but it's an example of how these things can be used in a controlled environment. If a church can do it, so can other establishments.

as if the controlled environment is the goal...
The stuff was legal. It turned out bad for society, that's why it became illegal.
Thy know it screwed with the synapses, they are not sure how far the damage with weed goes.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as if the controlled environment is the goal...
The stuff was legal. It turned out bad for society, that's why it became illegal.
Thy know it screwed with the synapses, they are not sure how far the damage with weed goes.

It's not that simple. Lots of drugs were made illegal for political reasons. LSD was part of a counter culture that was resisting the Vietnam war. Marijuana was made illegal because hemp could put the paper industry out of business. Both of these drugs marginally affect your long term health. There are other, far more dangerous, drugs.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.vice.com/read/eighty-one-years-for-weed

A local activist, Rich Paul, is facing 81 years in the big house for selling weed and LSD to an FBI informant. Rich denies selling LSD (saying whatever it was, was a legal compound), but freely admits to selling the weed.

Rich is hoping for jury nullification. Like self-defense, such a strategy is an affirmative defense. The defendant admits that he broke the law, but shouldn't be charged because of xxxxx. In Rich's case, he doesn't think he should be charged because the law is unjust. In the state of NH, the defense has the right to inform juries that they may reach a not guilty verdict should they object to the law.

Personally? I don't like weed. But I can't get behind sending ol' Rich away for 86 years because he likes his green cigarettes.

What do you all think?

I think that is atrocious. 81 years for a little bit of a plant. Thats more time that the Steubenville rapists would get.